StarCraft® II

'Backup' Starcraft 2

Hey,
I'm currently at university, but i need to reformat my computer, unfortunately i don't have my sc2 disk with me, is there any way to 'back up' the game, so that i dont have to download the entire thing (as i think my university will complain about the Internet usage).

I have an external drive, but i have a feeling just copying the c:/program files wont work...
Reply Quote
It will, copy all the game files and simply start the game after reformatting. The game doesn't need any register entries or documents to start. U can also copy documents SC2 folder to save your settings if that is essential. Been changing operational systems plus from pc to notebook many times now with no re-installing of the game.
Reply Quote
It will, copy all the game files and simply start the game after reformatting. The game doesn't need any register entries or documents to start. U can also copy documents SC2 folder to save your settings if that is essential. Been changing operational systems plus from pc to notebook many times now with no re-installing of the game.

Are you sure about that? I recall from WC3 that while it did not need any registry settings to run the game, bnet updater would not run if those registry settings were not present.

To be sure I'd dump the relevant registry tree (should be somewhere in HKLM\software\blizzard, but just search for "starcraft" or "blizzard"), save the program file and also save the Documents\Starcraft II folder in your user directory.
Reply Quote
If you copy Starcraft 2 folder from one computer to another, it does work. I tried that, no need to go through that slow install/online-update process. I am not sure what will happen when battle.net will require a new update but even if it will give errors, just as with WC3, I think, the solution will be simple and easy to find in the internet.

I am not sure, but replays might be saved in some other windows application data folder
Edited by Mikser on 02/02/2011 10:20 GMT
Reply Quote
They are, replays and save files are in the documents folder, make sure you copy those too or you'll lose them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]