StarCraft® II

The Real Problem with Custom Maps

By luxx on teamliquid: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=139745

I get asked all the time how to create a custom game. Most people find it hard to understand there is no simple solution. The ONLY way you can host a custom game is if one of the following is true:

1. The map is one of the top 50 most popular maps
    2. You recently joined someone else’s game who had the map
    3. You published the map yourself

There is no other way to host a custom game. The maps in the top 50 are played plenty, and undoubtedly they will end up in your recently played list where you can host them. That is fine. The problem is the only way to get new maps that are not on the popular list is to publish them yourself.

To publish a map, you must exit the game, open the desired map in the map editor and click file -> publish and set any last settings (more on that later). Now the map will be uploaded to Blizzard’s server, and if there are no errors, you can exit the map editor and restart your game, then create the game from ‘Your Published Maps’ list. Unlike Warcraft 3, or SC1, when people join your game lobby, they will be downloading the file you uploaded to Blizzard's server, not directly from your computer.

There are a few problems with publishing:

1. On the last step of map publishing settings that I mentioned earlier, you can rename the map to whatever you want. This makes it very easy to steal someone else’s work. Or you could just turn their map name into an advertisement. Also, when you publish that map, everyone on battlenet will see your name as the author, not the person who actually made it. If you don’t believe me go try it.

2. You can only publish 5 maps at a time, which means for someone like me, who had over 4,000 custom maps in Warcraft 3, I have to plan out what I am going to play before I play it, and then keep my friends waiting while I waste a lot of time exiting the game, publishing each one, and re-entering the game.

3. Because there is no way to locally host maps from your computer, it means the publishing system will be used for temporary map hosting. Let’s say I wanted to try out 25 cool-looking new maps in a given night with my friends, I would need to exit the game, publish 5 at a time, play them and then remove them, repeating the process until I ran out of maps to try. This is not what the publishing system was designed for, but this is the only way I try out maps that are not yet on the popular list.

4. Due to the common practice of renaming other people's maps that I mentioned earlier, and the use of the publishing system for temporary map hosting, many duplicate copies of a map will be republished. Each time someone republishes a map, it will be under their name, and slightly different from every other version out there! The reason Blizzard claims to have removed the ability to create named-custom games was to prevent 100 different DOTA games – well they succeeded, except now there will be 100 different DOTA maps, each with a different author or map name. You can already see duplicates in the popular list, but this will get much worse once as soon as publishing abuse starts (more on that later).

5. Compared to the rest of the game, publishing a map quite difficult ad is not is not intuitive. The typical user has no idea what the map editor even is, much less how to publish a map. Past Blizzard games have trained people that if they download a map and put it in the right folder, they can host it – nowhere in Starcraft 2 is the user told this is no longer the case (or why the decision was made).

6. There are other problems with publishing, like the 10mb map limit. I will not go into those here, but I would encourage checking out the threads by IskatuMesk, and SCLegacy, both of which are excellent in-depth write-ups.

These issues taken all together bring us to a larger problem: because it is so difficult to host custom maps that are not already popular, most people simply will not bother hosting new maps at all. This leaves us with only the popularity system, which, as Blizzard poster Xordiah explains (http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?sid=5010&topicId=25170778573&pageNo=6), it should work fine for discovering new maps: (continued)
Reply Quote
I saw some concerns in this thread that you guys are afraid that a map that is published maybe five months after release but is really good will never get any attention. I don't really share this concern, because of the awesome sites out there that will start promoting good content. I mean, even today, when map publishing is still doing its first steps and while there is still quite a bit of work ahead of us, I have seen so many great maps that are featured on sc2mapster, on TL.net and many other community websites. There will always be a map making community like the Hiveworkshop were map makers will find support. And though all these sites, through the forums, through casters like Husky and especially through word of mouth good maps will be spotlighted and players will find them and make them popular. If a map is good, make a youtube video of it and it will spread if players think it is cool. :)

By this line of reasoning it is up to the map download sites to promote maps. While Xordiah is correct that sites have thousands of custom maps (http://www.z33k.com/), he fails to understand that users have no way to play the maps they download, except by publishing. As if the limitations and difficulties of publishing were not bad enough, there is a good chance that by publishing you would be creating a duplicate and just adding to the popularity system’s problems, since any map author lucky enough to be featured on a site has probably already published. Further, without a good way to host unpopular maps, popular maps stay popular. With fewer people publishing, it easy to game the system, making maps popular that should not be or simply injecting fake maps in the popular list.

This is a nightmare for custom maps, but what can we do?

There has been much uproar over the lack of chat, lack of cross-region play, and lack of LAN support. Blizzard acknowledged all of these, but has remained quiet on custom maps. As SCLegacy points out, Blizzard knows the game-finding experience is not what was promised at BlizzCon 2009. Unfortunately the interface won't change the fundamental fact that you cannot host a downloaded map without jumping through ridiculous hoops.

Image: Prototype Map Search Interface as shown at BlizzCon 2009 - http://sclegacy.com/features/sc2beta/b.netconcerns/Join-Custom-Game.jpg

Many of the people who are complaining about the custom maps are mistakenly focused on naming games or the popularity and filtering systems – none of that matters if you can’t easily play and host the maps you download.

Blizzard has some of the best modification tools and community of any game out there, and I am confident they can fix this. Please join me in helping to make Blizzard aware of the problem in whatever way you can.
Reply Quote
Well said, now if only the blues and Devs ever read these posts. *Sigh*
Reply Quote
Perfect post, should be stickied and blue-tagged immediately for an update on what current thoughts are to remedy the situation.

As it is now, I have no way of convincing friends to buy the game. They have no interest in the story, the original gameplay or ladders and that's absolutely fair, but they have a massive interest in custom maps as there was a ton of in WCIII.

Add to that, that you can't play it on LAN and that the requirements are higher; you have a fairly poor situation and almost no incentive to buy or support this game.
I would judge the amount of time spent on WCIII maps by my circle of friends to be around 20-30 hours per week.

I cannot, for the love of god fathom why Blizzard has failed to cater to their fans on this subject. They had a working system and made a mess of it. There is potential to the popularity and hosted maps system, but it's a long way from working properly.

I say again, sticky this thread.

Reply Quote
NEEDS MOAR GLUE

Also sign in on this thread --> http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/169346958
Edited by Nurman on 01/08/2010 21:14 BST
Reply Quote
gief us custom maps omg!
Reply Quote
Brilliant post!
Reply Quote
Yes, this is a relevant issue and should be addressed.
Reply Quote
I guess hitting the "like" button is a small effort anyone can do to support this relevant thread.
Reply Quote
Like !
Reply Quote
LIKE BUMB /SUMMON MODS...

This is exactly the reason i hate playing custom maps in SC2, and keep playing customs in WC3 and SC1. I want to play for example golems and LTW, but the LTW is only on US servers, and golems are not updated.

PLEASE BLIZZARD FIX THIS!!!

BTW some ideas how to fix this - remove the popularity. If the map is already uploaded then dont let uploading it again. For updating create UPDATE MAP button, so there will be only the latest version of the map. And for god sake fix the search... it doesnt search in middle of sentence, or when theres characters like - / _ : etc etc
Reply Quote
cant you just search the map by its name on battle.net, if you know it by name from a website and just play the original published version that way? no need the download it and publish it yourself.
Edited by tokepoke on 02/08/2010 21:18 BST
Reply Quote
I loved the custom maps in WC3 / TFT, I wish this had approximately the same system.
Can't believe this is true.
Reply Quote
Just wanna point out, these posts are all popping up in the middle of the night, the reason you have no blue responses yet is because they are most likely not working at these unearthly hours.
Reply Quote
Just wanna point out, these posts are all popping up in the middle of the night, the reason you have no blue responses yet is because they are most likely not working at these unearthly hours.
Read the timestamp on the first posts there.
"1 day ago"
Reply Quote
And that day was Sunday. Not the most common day for any company to operate across the globe.

Stop ranting and just be patient.
Reply Quote
And that day was Sunday. Not the most common day for any company to operate across the globe.
I'd point out there were blues, but the threads they posted in, locked and deleted were, well, deleted.

I'm not seeing any rant of my here though, Zvahl. Care to explain your random "stop ranting" statement?
Reply Quote
They've kinda been laying low on the responding of threads so my guess is that they are either undermanned on this forum or they know about the problem and are currently trying to fix it.
But at least one Blizzard Employee answer to the Custom Gaming players would be awesome, even if it would be "We are aware of this problem and are working to satisfy our customers.".
Reply Quote
I'd point out there were blues, but the threads they posted in, locked and deleted were, well, deleted.

I'm not seeing any rant of my here though, Zvahl. Care to explain your random "stop ranting" statement?

If you pop out to the Custom Maps and Multiplayer forums you can see the same threads over and over with the same players ranting in them. It was more of a general statement than just for this thread.
Reply Quote
cant you just search the map by its name on battle.net, if you know it by name from a website and just play the original published version that way? no need the download it and publish it yourself.

well you cant search for maps in the lobby so... no u cant so this. u can only search in the maps u already have and can host.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]