StarCraft® II

Want "Custom Game"? Go back to WC3 or SC1.

There's really no point to this thread other than to raise awareness of the failure that is Custom Maps in StarCraft 2, or rather, a lack thereof.

If you're wondering why you can't just download a map and play it, go to this thread to read about why:
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/169348414

Blizzard devs have supplied us with a wonderful map editor, with a lot of new options and possibilities, but whether it's business or incompetence, we are denied a simple or easy way to play them.

As it is, the hosting systems of WarCraft III and StarCraft 1 are far superior to that of SC2.

There's an eerie silence in both the US and EU communities from the devs and community managers, no one wants to say why things are the way they are. My guess would be one of the more popular theories, that Blizzard Activision is forced to be able to control all uploaded and custom work, in order to keep the rating of their game and to increase sales.

In the process, they are alienating customers, killing their reputation of being a brilliant developing company.

I am sad to say that Blizzard seem to have failed to take a stand against game ratings and have turned corporate; now more than ever.

My faith in this company has run out, I will never buy a game untested or untried from this company again and I feel that this promotes pirating games rather than paying for them.
Reply Quote
I guess its part of the "user-friendly" experience. Anyway join me on TronCraft, great map (3rd page)
Reply Quote
My faith in this company has run out, I will never buy a game untested or untried from this company again and I feel that this promotes pirating games rather than paying for them.

Same here, bought this game before trying it. I bought it solely for the new powerful editor which I had seen/and read some great things about, nobody told me that we would be unable to play custom games.

This was the last time I bought any product from Blizzard that I haven't tested before, no pre-orders anymore.

It's too bad Blizzard had to fail to badly at making the custom games, lost all faith in them, not going to pre-order/buy Diablo 3 before I have tested it myself this time.

I feel like Blizzard stole my money.
Reply Quote

It's too bad Blizzard had to fail to badly at making the custom games, lost all faith in them, not going to pre-order/buy Diablo 3 before I have tested it myself this time.

Good point, I'm not sure I want to play Diablo 3 if there's no LAN option, and lets face it; there won't be one.
Reply Quote
Don't forget to press that Like button.
Reply Quote
It could be that there may be some turmoil inside the company over the B.net 2.0 and therefore we haven't had any responses.
Reply Quote
I thought sc2 would eb like wc3 regarding the editor options, wc2 world editor basically kept me going for years, just making little edits here and there as i didnt have internet back then just loved it. SC2 is so different am really suprised, the whole 'publish it to play it' is imo not right, I am really hopeful that Blizzard will recognise this and correct it in a future patch but it is a real shame there seems to be no communication from blizz on this matter.
Reply Quote
the whole reason i bough SC2 was that i figured blizzard would keep the games like SC1 and WC3 with custom maps and all, ofc like WoW they managed to screw us over, i will reccomend not buying this game to everyone i know and i suggest everyone else does aswell, only way blizz will take the hit is to hit them where it hurts... theyre income
Reply Quote
The main reason i bought the game was because i have loved the custom games from sc1 and wc3 and played such since i were about 10 years old(12 years ago) and made some maps myself too.

this system discourages me from making maps, and discourages me from playing them online.

i havent playd a single game on battle net this far, because no one plays the map that im currently interested in playing... and its not far down the list either!

if this game and starcraft 1 came out at the same time, i would actually choose starcraft 1 before this one because of the incredibly stupid publishing and non existing chat.
Reply Quote
the whole reason i bough SC2 was that i figured blizzard would keep the games like SC1 and WC3 with custom maps and all, ofc like WoW they managed to screw us over, i will reccomend not buying this game to everyone i know and i suggest everyone else does aswell, only way blizz will take the hit is to hit them where it hurts... theyre income

I've done the same, I'm discouraging people from buying the game. If they want to play singleplayer, I've offered to lend them my account with the authenticator.
Reply Quote
You've told people not to buy a Triple-A Platinum quality strategy game, because you don't like one facet of the design?

SC2 is an impeccably well made game, deterring your friends from playing it makes you a bad friend imo.
Reply Quote
You've told people not to buy a Triple-A Platinum quality strategy game, because you don't like one facet of the design?

SC2 is an impeccably well made game, deterring your friends from playing it makes you a bad friend imo.

I've discouraged people who I know want to play custom maps, from buying it, as that is their only interest in the game anyway.
But I'm also letting people know that it is severely limited for that purpose, that we are getting no response on the issue, that the *reason* for the flawed design might be to cater kids and ignore the rest, and that Diablo 3 might suffer for it if we don't do something about it.

That doesn't make me a bad friend, it makes me an exceptionally good one. I have at no point lied about the game or even said that it was bad, the singleplayer experience is great, hence my offer.
Reply Quote

Triple-A Platinum quality? Not even close. This game is third rate outside of the mission design and multiplayer match-balance.
Reply Quote
If they want to play singleplayer, I've offered to lend them my account with the authenticator.

Because this is really supporting the developers... The Single player alone is easily worth the tag price -- If the only reason people were buying this was for the custom games then I would agree but those people are in the vast minority.

Even if my friends wanted to really focus on the Custom Games I'd tell them that it's less than ideal at the moment but still workable.

Rather than being a counter-productive nag who deters people (and thus limits the number of total people who could join your custom games anyway...) why not pro-actively pull groups of friends into maps of interest?

Just because you might have to wade through a few pages to find the game you want doesn't make it worse than Warcraft 3 or SC1... Do you even remember how many refreshes you had to do to find a game that wasn't Footman Wars or DotA?
Edited by JamesR on 02/08/2010 15:42 BST
Reply Quote
The Single player alone is easily worth the tag price
Arguable. Great mission design, but depressingly bad storyline and poor immersion into said story.
Just because you might have to wade through a few pages to find the game you want doesn't make it worse than Warcraft 3 or SC1... Do you even remember how many refreshes you had to do to find a game that wasn't Footman Wars or DotA?
Yes, I do remember this. However, this is a step backwards. Frankly, I think custom games should have more user-controlled filters so we can find the content we want. There is nothing but "Click 'more' to see more games"
Reply Quote
No, he disencouraged them from buying the game because the main aspect of the game, in many people's eyes is ruined.

You think people still played and loved wc3 after all these years because of its...melee system? Replayable campaign perhaps? No, it was the custom gaming and alas, this new bnet 2.0 doesn't even scratch the tip of the ice berg.

I would recommend my friends to buy this because I can't find anyone else to play some god damn matches with, unless im playing the very top popularity maps...
Edited by Kratos on 02/08/2010 15:51 BST
Reply Quote
Arguable. Great mission design, but depressingly bad storyline and poor immersion into said story.

It goes without saying, that you have high standards for an RTS game. For storyline and immersion this is as good (or better) than any other RTS has managed previously

No, he disencouraged them from buying the game because the main aspect of the game, in many people's eyes is ruined..

The main aspect of the game? There is no main aspect of Starcraft 1 or 2. It comes packaged with effectively three full areas of play for the price of one single retail game...

In the box you get :

• The most polished Single Player RTS ever made

• The most popular ranked RTS on the planet

• A Powerful custom games system

Just because one relatively minor aspect of one third of the gaming experience is not ideal doesn't mean that it's just dead weight.

Contrary to popular belief people do search past the first few results for some variety... I too am hoping for a more graceful solution, but popularity ranked maps in the long term will make better sense.
Edited by JamesR on 02/08/2010 16:01 BST
Reply Quote
It goes without saying, that you have high standards for an RTS game. For storyline and immersion this is as good (or better) than any other RTS has managed previously
You don't have to go very far. Starcraft 2's predecessor, Starcraft and its expansion, Brood War, were both great games in terms of storyline. Warcraft has also been a successful world of stories.

It's a Blizzard game.
There was a time when you expected quality.

A Powerful custom games system
/snort
Surely you jest.

Galaxy Editor?
Extremely powerful, but with a learning curve steeper than EvE Online
and more redundancies than a football league for zombies.

Finding maps to play?
A joke.
Edited by Lushvale on 02/08/2010 16:10 BST
Reply Quote
It's a Blizzard game.
There was a time when you expected quality.

And it has been delivered... And they've got 2 more games to really flesh it out and finish it off.

Remember that SC1 + Exp is longer than SC2 ... And there was about 35 (ish) missions in the Warcraft 3 without the expansion pack.

And compared to the story telling in each of those SC2 is leaps and bounds ahead... Whilst I agree the content of the story doesn't blow me away (it's fairly predictable) the way in which it was delivered is a vast improvement.

/snort
Surely you jest.

Galaxy Editor?
Extremely powerful, but with a learning curve steeper than EvE Online
and more redundancies than a football league for zombies.

If you think it has a steep learning curve then you are spoiled. If you want to make a Melee map or a map with very basic trigger work you can do that with basically no help... If you want to make anything more complex then (shock horror) you might have to read some resources.

Do you think professional developers don't spend their lives using these developer resources? Even after you've made a hundred maps you'll still need reference materials
Edited by JamesR on 02/08/2010 16:15 BST
Reply Quote
And it has been delivered... And they've got 2 more games to really flesh it out and finish it off.
In a way they have. In a way they have not.

Remember that SC1 + Exp is longer than SC2 ... And there was about 35 (ish) missions in the Warcraft 3 without the expansion pack.
Quality over quantity.

And compared to the story telling in each of those SC2 is leaps and bounds ahead... Whilst I agree the content of the story doesn't blow me away (it's fairly predictable) the way in which it was delivered is a vast improvement.
This is true. The way the story is told is improved. The engine is many times more powerful at delivering the presentation.
I'm sad to announce, however, that this doesn't really hold if the story itself has degenerated tenfolds.

I'll now summarize the story:
Raynor drinks a lot and misses Kerrigan.
Wherever he goes, everyone follows to pester him.

If you think it has a steep learning curve then you are spoiled. If you want to make a Melee map or a map with very basic trigger work you can do that with basically no help... If you want to make anything more complex then (shock horror) you might have to read some resources.
Basic tools? You don't even need to know how to use them.

However, learning-curve was a bad choice of words. I mean more that it's made overly complicated for literally no reason whatsoever except to be complicated.
Edited by Lushvale on 02/08/2010 16:27 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]