StarCraft® II

The new Custom Game system? (What is wrong with it)

(If anyone agrees, please rate this post up, so Blizzard would notise it)

Edit: Thank you for positive feedback so far! I have made a suggestion for a new 'map-browsing' system on page 2 of this Thread. Some feedback on that would be nice as well.
It also shows the Blizzcon 2009 concept which actually looks extremely good. I have no idea why they didn't work on that.

In my honest opinion, I think that the new Custom Game system is EXTREMELY poor. Battle.net 2.0 has made a few improvements in terms of achievements, and personalising your profile, but it has gone DOWN in a lot more ways.

One of which is the Custom Game system:

1) Why do we have to view only the popular games?

2) Why, with lists being sorted ONLY by popularity, do we need to press "Show More" like 5 times before we even see the 'slightly less popular' maps, instead of being able to scroll like in WarCraft 3?
That is like Blizzard saying "You better not join anything that isn't in the top 10

3) Why even when hosting games, can't we host anything that isn't "Popular"?

4) Why when hosting, can't we give our games a name?

5) Why, when I select that I want to see "Custom Games", do I get a whole bunch of Blizzard's 'Melee' games mixed in? Blizzard's maps are Melee. Please don't label them Melee/Custom. That makes no sense.

6) Why are games randomly sorted when you want to create a game?
Well oke, they are sorted (again) by 'popularity'. But why can't we click on the columns in order to sort them somehow else? (Like Name, Max Players, etc)

7) Why can't we download games ourselves, organise them into nice folders, and host them like we used to in WC3?

8) Why is there still no search or filter function when searching for a game to join?
I want the game to have the following text: TD, Tower Defense, Footy
I Don't want the games to have folllowing text: Blizzard, Dota, Pokemon

9) Why does the game automatically decides to start when the last players joins? Unlike in Warcrft 3 when the host actually decides.

10) Why, when the player leaves the countdown does not stop, and there is no way a host can control it?

11) Why do I actually have to compare this Battle.net, to the one that is 10 years old, and should have been in every way inferior?

Edit:
12) Why are we not even able to download custom games that are made across regions?! I mean: I can sort of accept that I can't play with my good friends across the world. However, I can NOT accept that: when ever you make a map, the amount of players that will play it will be cut in 4!
You will not see many great games that are created out there, simply because you will have absolutely NO ACCESS to them.

Now that we are talking about Battle.net 2.0 and how it has failed, let me ask:

1) Why are there still no chat rooms? For clans? For if you want to play 2/3 matches with a guy you just met, and don't want having to add a new 'friend' each time you want to match up with him?

2) Why can't you even whisper or private messege someone? (At least not that I know of... /whisper doesn't work)

3) Why do you need to win a redicilous amount of games, just to open something small like a decal? Portraits are understandable, but not decals. (not a gamebreaker, but would be nice to be able to have a bit more options)

4) Why does "Achievements" need it's own seperate section at the top, when you can very easily access it through "Profile"? It is not like you need to access Achievements that often, and it only creates unnecessary clutter.

Overall, I would like to ask:
Why do you need your entire community to rage out before anything is fixed?
Why can't such simple things be adressed during the design stage?
Why does it feel like the new Battle.net system was created without ANY consideration?

Now the last 3 questions were rethorical, but all the others aren't. They are to show that there are some serious problems with the new Battle.net's Custom Game system (And some other things).

Please do consider fixing it.
At least everything under Custom Game section, seeing as Custom Games is a huge contributor to why so many Blizzard games have lasted for so long.

If anyone agrees, please Thumbs Up so Blizzard will hear us.
Edited by MadVirus on 17/08/2010 15:26 BST
Reply Quote
You man, just read my mind.
Was thinking of making a post like this but you made it for me :)
Reply Quote
... i feel like such a noobish forum poster xD great post man :D (of course, most have been said over and over, but separate :P)
Reply Quote
Maybe a year from now things will be where they should have been..
Reply Quote
I couldn't agree more OP.
Blizzard have really failed at the new Battle.net
Let's just hope that they understand and fix thier misstake before the whole custom map community goes back to WC3. As a mapmaker myself I know I will, if this things doesn't change.
Reply Quote
singel player = perfect
melee MM map = perfect
Custom games= bad
Reply Quote
I wouldn't say perfect, however they can be compared fairly greater then the abomination that custom games are.
Reply Quote
Not only does it suck so bad its almost impossible for find words for. but apperently from other people here, they had some better idea on Blizzcon 2009. i just want to know what happened? why did you abandon a superior system? was it to hard to make?. Dont they care about custom maps? Or were they under time presure.

http://sclegacy.com/features/sc2beta/b.netconcerns/Join-Custom-Game.jpg
Blizzycon picture
Reply Quote
I sign this I want better custom maps and self hosting!
Reply Quote
Some features on this version battle.net need EMERGENCY overhaul

If you ask me most major problems so far are.

1.) no general chat room
2.) you cant add name on custom maps , just check example ,you want play some TD on hard ,and you cant make custom game named for example "CUBE TD HARD ,pro only"
3)Games start automaticly once all slot are filed = BIG fail ,good host sometimes check his participants before start. or gief initial briefing if gonna do some hard mode.
Reply Quote
Good post.
I guess Blizzards already know these issues, it's just that they really dont care (Im using a polite form).
Reply Quote
Well said Mad Virus, I really didn't expect Blizzard, one of the most respected games companies, to make such a rubbish multi-player. I played the campaign first, then challenges and I was delighted with how good the game was. But the whole Battle.net system and the multi-player in general is just awful.
Reply Quote
Short answer, because Blizzard is no longer running the show. It's Activision now, and we all know what they're capable of. :p

On a more serious note, however, I am pretty sure there's a good reason behind all of this. Be patient and give it some time, e.g. 2-3 months at tops and I'm sure we'll see some prominent changes to the UI. If not, then I'm seriously gonna question Blizzard's current status. Because a lot of this stuff is just outright daft.

But I'm gonna wait and see. They might just have some tricks up their sleeves.
Edited by Amarok on 03/08/2010 02:29 BST
Reply Quote
(If anyone agrees, please rate this post up, so Blizzard would notise it)

In my honest opinion, I think that the new Custom Game system is EXTREMELY poor. Battle.net 2.0 has made a few improvements in terms of achievements, and personalising your profile, but it has gone DOWN in a lot more ways.

One of which is the Custom Game system:

1) Why do we have to view only the popular games?

2) Why, with lists being sorted ONLY by popularity, do we need to press "Show More" like 5 times before we even see the 'slightly less popular' maps, instead of being able to scroll like in WarCraft 3?
That is like Blizzard saying "You better not join anything that isn't in the top 10

3) Why even when hosting games, can't we host anything that isn't "Popular"?

4) Why when hosting, can't we give our games a name?

5) Why, when I select that I want to see "Custom Games", do I get a whole bunch of Blizzard's 'Melee' games mixed in? Blizzard's maps are Melee. Please don't label them Melee/Custom. That makes no sense.

6) Why are games randomly sorted when you want to create a game?
Well oke, they are sorted (again) by 'popularity'. But why can't we click on the columns in order to sort them somehow else? (Like Name, Max Players, etc)

7) Why can't we download games ourselves, organise them into nice folders, and host them like we used to in WC3?

8) Why is there still no search or filter function when searching for a game to join?
I want the game to have the following text: TD, Tower Defense, Footy
I Don't want the games to have folllowing text: Blizzard, Dota, Pokemon

9) Why does the game automatically decides to start when the last players joins? Unlike in Warcrft 3 when the host actually decides.

10) Why, when the player leaves the countdown does not stop, and there is no way a host can control it?

11) Why do I actually have to compare this Battle.net, to the one that is 10 years old, and should have been in every way inferior?

Now that we are talking about Battle.net 2.0 and how it has failed, let me ask:

1) Why are there still no chat rooms? For clans? For if you want to play 2/3 matches with a guy you just met, and don't want having to add a new 'friend' each time you want to match up with him?

2) Why can't you even whisper or private messege someone? (At least not that I know of... /whisper doesn't work)

3) Why aren't 'real life friends', and 'ingame friends' seperated? My real life friends have proper names, while ingame friends have complitely random ones, so they get mixed up into a very odd list.

4) Why do you need to win a redicilous amount of games, just to open something small like a decal? Portraits are understandable, but not decals.

5) Why does "Achievements" need it's own seperate section at the top, when you can very easily access it through "Profile"? It is not like you need to access Achievements that often, and it only creates unnecessary clutter.

Overall, I would like to ask:
Why do you need your entire community to rage out before anything is fixed?
Why can't such simple things be adressed during the design stage?
Why does it feel like the new Battle.net system was created without ANY consideration?

Now the last 3 questions were rethorical, but all the others aren't. They are to show that there are some serious problems with the new Battle.net's Custom Game system (And some other things).

Please do consider fixing it.
At least everything under Custom Game section, seeing as Custom Games is a huge contributor to why so many Blizzard games have lasted for so long.

If anyone agrees, please Thumbs Up so Blizzard will hear us.

QFT
Reply Quote
singel player = perfect
melee MM map = perfect
Custom games= bad

Couldn't agree more, done the campaign two times now to unlock all available missions, and i sure could do it again, its awesome.
Also played a few melee rounds with A.I. and players and its all good, i see no problems here.
But custom games? as i see it, the problem is that the things that can be controlled by the user/host isn't anywhere near what it needs to be for creating a decent custom game, sadly :(
Reply Quote
Why do you even have to click "show more" every single time. It tages ages to scroll down the list to find a decent map.
Reply Quote
Let's join me in the shoutin ... BLUE POST!!! BLUE POST!!! BLUE POST!!!
Reply Quote
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Reply Quote
In total agreement with the OP.
Reply Quote
I think it needs to go back to something similar to how they had it at Blizzcon '09.

http://sclegacy.com/features/sc2beta/b.netconcerns/Join-Custom-Game.jpg

Open game lobbies that all use the same map are grouped into expandable menus. The custom games list shows all maps currently being hosted. When you expand the map, it shows all the games of that map by name. Maps with most open lobbies go to the top of the list.

This will allow people to name thier games and make it easier for people to find specific maps they want to play. It also keeps the games that are currently most 'popular' at the top.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]