StarCraft® II

How to install/play US client when I got eu already?

As the title says, how do I install the us client when I have the eu already.
I've bought a digital copy of the us client on my battle.net account, downloaded it and now when it asks me if I wanna install it, it tells me that the us client will overwrite my eu "stuff".
Do I have to install the us client in some special way when I have the eu client installed on my computer already?
I have tried to choose a different location folder than the one where the eu client is, to put the us client in, but it still just tells me:
"A folder named "C:\Users\Jacob\Documents\StarCraft II" already exists.
A folder named "C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II" already exists. The existing contents of this folder will be erased.
The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II\StarCraft II.lnk" will be overwritten.
The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II\StarCraft II - Map Editor.lnk" will be overwritten.
The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II\StarCraft II - Repair.lnk" will be overwritten.
The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II\StarCraft II - Manual.lnk" will be overwritten.
The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II\Blizzard Technical Support.lnk" will be overwritten.
The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II\Battle.net Account Management.lnk" will be overwritten.
The file "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II\StarCraft II - Uninstall.lnk" will be overwritten."

I'm starting to wonder if I just have to do something in my battle.net account to play on the us region, but tbh I'm totally lost here.

Please answer quickly as possible, would really like to play the game that I payed 59.99$ twice for tonight :) Thank you in advance.
Reply Quote
Community
Hello Juiceyodawg,

Having two StarCraft II clients on one system is not a configuration we support.

If you'd like to play using the US client you should uninstall the EU first and then it will work fine. If you'd like to return back to EU you should do the same and uninstall the US client before installing EU again.

Of course you're welcome to attempt to setup both clients on your system simultaneously but bear in mind that this may cause various issues with the game when installing updates.
Edited by Prokkar on 01/06/2011 10:02 BST
Reply Quote
Hi,

You can take Prokkar's third paragraph to heart and do this before installation:

Rename
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II
to
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II (EU)

Rename
C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II
to
C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II (EU)

Rename
C:\Users\Jacob\Documents\StarCraft II
to
C:\Users\Jacob\Documents\StarCraft II (EU)

And once your US install is complete, you can play US SC2.

And if you want to play EU SC2 again, do:

Rename
to
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II (US)

Rename
to
C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II (US)

Rename
to
C:\Users\Jacob\Documents\StarCraft II (US)

Rename
to

Rename
to

Rename
to

And if you want to play US SC2 again, do:

Rename
to

Rename
to

Rename
to

Rename
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StarCraft II (US)
to

Rename
C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\StarCraft II (US)
to

Rename
C:\Users\Jacob\Documents\StarCraft II (US)
to

--3ICE

p.s.: This requires 10GB free space on your hard disk, because two copies of SC2 double the space required.

p.p.s.: Fiddling with Start Menu might not actually be required, but I can't test it. (I can't afford a second copy so I am stuck in EU. Good for you, having two copies.) Experiment on your own.
Reply Quote
Thanks for your answers. I'm gonna try the stuff you said Thrice, if it gets too dodgy when updates comes, then I'm just gonna download and install the us client on my other computer.

Juice
Reply Quote
You will have to update SC2 twice. Once for US and once for EU. Same steps as above.
Reply Quote
I have a US and an EU on my laptop here... it works fine if you follow the steps (It's similar to what he said, but makes a lot more sense):

1) Make 2 new folders in your C: drive named "Starcraft II - EU" and "Starcraft II - US"

2) Copy the contents of the folder "Starcraft II" into "Starcraft 2 - EU"

3) Download the US client installer from the CD or Battle.net

4) Run the installer and allow it to save into the suggested folder (it's gonna be your "Starcraft II" folder)

5) After a few seconds, you'll get a warning but tell it to continue and overwrite a few files.

6) When that's done, copy the "Starcraft II" files into "Starcraft II - US"

7) Find the shortcuts from each and copy them to your desktop, remembering to re-name them "Starcraft II - EU" and "Starcraft II - US" respectivily.

8) Open the US (I guess North American officially) version when you patch Starcraft first,
then when the patch is done you can patch the EU account as well. If you don't some times it gets stuck at 70% but it's no big deal because you can just cancel and update the other one.

Post if you have issues and we'll work it out!
Edited by TerranItUp on 02/06/2011 03:55 BST
Reply Quote
02/06/2011 03:55Posted by TerranItUp
2) Copy the contents of the folder "Starcraft II" into "Starcraft 2 - EU"
Move, don't copy. Copying 10GB takes way too long. Moving happens almost instantly.
Reply Quote
When I did this I already had the EU cllient installed, for the US install i just appended "_us" to the install directory. You then still get the warnings from the original post about the startup menu entries. But since those are only symbolic links (shortcuts) overwriting those is no problem. Alternatively you could rename them before installing the second client. I then put two shortcuts (SC2EU, SC2NA) on my desktop and pointed them to the correct locations.

So far the double install has worked fine for me. Apparently both installs read from the same config files so you automatically have the same settings in both clients but they still update separately.
Edited by japro on 04/06/2011 16:38 BST
Reply Quote
yo i buyed the us asswel but i cant play eu now anymore but first it sayd that it will overwrite when i want to install it again but now it says it doenst have online connection and probebly firewall blocks it but i got internet and firewall doesnt block it. do you have any advisee?
Reply Quote
you may bypass this by making 2 different windows/mac user accounts and install a region for each account.
Reply Quote
do i need to buy a us version as well. or is my b.net acc linked to us servers as well?
Reply Quote
Community
In order to play on the US servers you need to have a US game license. You will not be able to play on the American servers using the EU license.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]