StarCraft® II

ToS 'Grey area' on Stronger Team colours 'mod'

(Locked)

Hi there, I'm looking for just some clarification from Blizzard on where we stand with the ToS in the case of mods that do not edit or change any of the files in SC2, but the point of them giving the player an advantage is where this becomes a little 'grey'

This is all from a small mod a TL.net user made that just increases the colour brightness of your race and gives more area's that change depending on what colour you have picked

Here is the thread;
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=216725

This is basically designed to just made it alot clearer as to who's units belong to who, this is pretty important when playing in team games, and when there are say 4 zergs in a 4v4 it can be very difficult to at a glance tell whos units belong to who... this mod clears that up completally and also makes spectating alot easier.

But, there have been people saying (in TL.net) that it gives users with this mod an advantage over people who do not have it, and thus brakes the ToS... and I'd like to find out from someone at Blizzard if this is true becasue the last thing I want is my account banned simply becasue I have problems working out exactally whos lings belong to who.

...really there are no blizz mods who have any idea?
19/06/2011 13:26Posted by BALDGYE
Don't expect blue posts on weekends.
19/06/2011 16:51Posted by mtomato
Don't expect blue posts on weekends.

fair enough
If it edits any MPQ files then it isn't allowed I know that much.
19/06/2011 18:23Posted by Steve
If it edits any MPQ files then it isn't allowed I know that much.

read the OP, it dsn't edit anything
Blizzard Employee
Hello,

Players are not allowed to edit/alter/replace/you-name-it any StarCraft II original files.
Hello,

Players are not allowed to edit/alter/replace/you-name-it any StarCraft II original files.

...so using this mod will get your account banned?
20/06/2011 11:28Posted by BALDGYE
..so using this mod will get your account banned?

yep.
20/06/2011 11:29Posted by Moonshadow
..so using this mod will get your account banned?

yep.

I just want to make 100% sure as people like Weat and DoA have been tweeting telling people to use this mod as it actualy makes the game better... and those guys probally wouldn't support mods that would get your acc banned.....
oh god.

where do i find this mod?

i can tell you if its bannable or not if i get to know how it works.

yup its bannable

it adds something to your MPQ files.
Edited by Moonshadow on 20/06/2011 11:45 BST
oh god.
where do i find this mod?
i can tell you if its bannable or not if i get to know how it works.
yup its bannable
it adds something to your MPQ files.

I'm also asking if it will get your acc banned rather than its possible... becasue I know its possible... but in the TL.ner thread people have been saying Blizzard have looked at it and might be adding something like it to the next expansion... but I don't know if thats true or just nonsense....
20/06/2011 11:46Posted by BALDGYE
I'm also asking if it will get your acc banned rather than its possible... becasue I know its possible... but in the TL.ner thread people have been saying Blizzard have looked at it and might be adding something like it to the next expansion... but I don't know if thats true or just nonsense....

Maybe they will, maybe they will not.

but as Krinskal said above anything that tampers with your MPQ is not allowed.
so i guess what they say about blizz looking into it AND ALLOWING is non-sense.

blue text>black text

20/06/2011 11:48Posted by Moonshadow

Maybe they will, maybe they will not.

but as Krinskal said above anything that tampers with your MPQ is not allowed.
so i guess what they say about blizz looking into it AND ALLOWING is non-sense.

blue text>black text

everyone has black text in TL lol
ok

bnet forum > Tl forum

they may add this functionality in HOTS, but they surely not allow it already, as the new MPQ files can do more than than are advertised to do, such as collect your account log in.

although this is probably not the case, there will be opportunists out there to edit that mod to do just that.
ok

bnet forum > Tl forum

they may add this functionality in HOTS, but they surely not allow it already, as the new MPQ files can do more than than are advertised to do, such as collect your account log in.

although this is probably not the case, there will be opportunists out there to edit that mod to do just that.

which is why I made this thread becasue I was hoping for an offical line so I know where I stand... and so I can alert all the people who have this mod installed who are not sure if they are allowed to or not.
20/06/2011 11:53Posted by BALDGYE
which is why I made this thread becasue I was hoping for an offical line so I know where I stand... and so I can alert all the people who have this mod installed who are not sure if they are allowed to or not.

you may get away with it.
if blizz doesn't find you ...you'll be fine xD
joking:P

but you should also think about your security as well.
a bad mod can do a lot of damage.
and while you may argue that if you download directly from TL, others may just google it and find a haxxed version of it which is harmful.

also, the MPQ encryption makes it easier to hide trojans, viruses or other stuff like that, as not many anti virus system will know how to read that encryption.

which is the probably main reason they don't allow mods.
But what about adding your own files, that doing some peoples? There are no original file replacement, only creating new, as they said.
20/06/2011 19:08Posted by Existor
But what about adding your own files, that doing some peoples? There are no original file replacement, only creating new, as they said.

it
is
not
allowed

I've seen how that mod works. It's a little more than you suspect.

you are not allowed to add, modify, edit, delete files in your game client installation.
Edited by Moonshadow on 20/06/2011 19:37 BST
you are not allowed to add files in your game client installation

So I can't create shorcut to sc2.exe in sc2 folder?
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]