StarCraft® II

I want to play starcraft 2. What laptop will allow me??

Ok I am right now, going to be buying a laptop for university but most importantly starcraft :D
I'm on the acer website, my budget is £600 and I've found a few with processors fast enough to do the job. The only thing im struggling to understand is the graphics card.

Here are the specs for sc as you may know
Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor
128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
12 GB available HD space
1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)
DVD-ROM drive
Broadband Internet connection
1024X720 minimum display resolution

Here are two laptos I'm interested in.
http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/model/LX.RAZ02.097
http://www.acer.co.uk/ac/en/GB/content/model/LX.R9702.075

as you can see the second one which is cheaper doesn't have the memory capacity measured. I'm just wondering, will they do the job? I really don't mind playing on low setting as long as it is smooth. Thanks
Reply Quote
Out of the two i would pick the first one as it has dedicated graphics card.
Reply Quote
Customer Service
Hi there,

Unfortunately I can't give recommendations, all I can really do in situations like this is give the minimum requirements:
http://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/starcraft-ii-system-requirements

I hope that helps!
Reply Quote
I am an expert on laptops. Why? Because I've owned plenty of them and I have rich experience in assembling laptops (yes, Im talking about Clevo).

Alright, to play StarCraft 2, the biggest concern in laptops is the video card. The processors are generally not a problem nowadays, since laptops are a big leap ahead than they ever were and any dual core processor would do.

You have 2 brands of video cards to choose from: AMD and NVIDIA.
If you opt for NVIDIA - get a laptop with AT LEAST a GT540M card. I recommend these:
-GT540M (budget laptops)
-GT550M (budget laptops)
-GT555M (above average laptops)
-GTX560M and above (high performance laptops, usually expensive)

If you decide to go with AMD, here is the list of good cards:
-AMD 6650M (average level card, dont get anything lower than this)
-AMD 6770M to 6870M (performance cards)
-AMD 6900 series (includes 6950M, 6970M and 6990M) - these are the best cards, but are expensive.

Right now, Im playing SC2 on my main computer, which is a laptop. Clevo P150HM with Core i7 2760QM, 8gigs of ram, AMD6990M card. Clevo laptops are the best bang for the buck right now and deliver Alienware performance and above.

If you are looking for a cheap laptop to play SC2 on, get one with AT LEAST Nvidia GT540M or AMD 6770M card. Dont get anything lower than that. The number in the cards models are important, as anything above these models I mentioned will run the game perfectly on medium-high settings.

If you have more questions, please ask.

You can also make a thread in these forums (I hppe the mods won't mind me posting this link): http://forum.notebookreview.com/
Reply Quote
I am an expert on laptops. Why? Because I've owned plenty of them and I have rich experience in assembling laptops (yes, Im talking about Clevo).

Alright, to play StarCraft 2, the biggest concern in laptops is the video card. The processors are generally not a problem nowadays, since laptops are a big leap ahead than they ever were and any dual core processor would do.

You have 2 brands of video cards to choose from: AMD and NVIDIA.
If you opt for NVIDIA - get a laptop with AT LEAST a GT540M card. I recommend these:
-GT540M (budget laptops)
-GT550M (budget laptops)
-GT555M (above average laptops)
-GTX560M and above (high performance laptops, usually expensive)

If you decide to go with AMD, here is the list of good cards:
-AMD 6650M (average level card, dont get anything lower than this)
-AMD 6770M to 6870M (performance cards)
-AMD 6900 series (includes 6950M, 6970M and 6990M) - these are the best cards, but are expensive.

Right now, Im playing SC2 on my main computer, which is a laptop. Clevo P150HM with Core i7 2760QM, 8gigs of ram, AMD6990M card. Clevo laptops are the best bang for the buck right now and deliver Alienware performance and above.

If you are looking for a cheap laptop to play SC2 on, get one with AT LEAST Nvidia GT540M or AMD 6770M card. Dont get anything lower than that. The number in the cards models are important, as anything above these models I mentioned will run the game perfectly on medium-high settings.

If you have more questions, please ask.

You can also make a thread in these forums (I hppe the mods won't mind me posting this link): http://forum.notebookreview.com/
Very nice post!
Reply Quote
Thanks, I hope the OP reads it too.
Reply Quote
Is Nvidia gt520m good to play sc2 from laptop on low settings?
Reply Quote
I cannot reccomend it. Nvidia GT520M will run the game on low, but as soon as there are more units, it will give you nothing but headache.

As I said above, you need a GT540M at least, in order to play on medium-high. So on heavier maps, you may need to set it to low-medium. I've owned a laptop with the GT540M and it plays the game very nice in league games. In custom maps like Marine Arena, as soon as somebody makes a ton of hybrids, it will start to struggle.

Nice thing about the GT540M - you can set the Textures on Ultra with no problems and leave it at that. No need to set textures to low or medium. Always on Ultra, wich gives you a good-looking game that you can enjoy. Shaders need to be on Low, though.
Reply Quote
My laptop have gt520m and ye...when more units is on the field fps go down and headache.I will go this days to technical service to cleaning laptop from dust and changing termopaste cause it havent been cleaned by 6 months.Hope this will help to play normally even in 200 vs 200 battles...
Reply Quote
Can i change the video card and buy a new one if wont work?
Reply Quote
Im afraid the GT520M is an "integrated" card. In order to be able to upgrade, you need a laptop with a MXM 3.0b video card slot. Since yours is integrated, you cannot upgrade.

I want to tell everyone: if you want to play Starcraft 2 on a laptop, please ask in the forums about advice, guys. Starcraft 2 is a competitive strategy game, right? But in order to be competitive, you need a good machine that can run the game perfectly, so you can react to the dynamic gameplay at any time. DONT buy machines that can only "run the game". Buy machines that can "run it well".

About laptops - always watch for the video card. CPU, RAM, HDD...these are things that you can upgrade. Also, these are things that don't matter for Starcraft 2, since nowadays 4GB of ram is standart and the CPU's have more than enough punch. Always look for the videocard!!!!

And always ask questions before buying. Ask a ton of questions! I will be happy to answer (and other people will too). Before spending your hard earned money, ALWAYS ask and double check!

That would be all.
Reply Quote
I buy the laptop 6 months ago and didn`t think i would play sc2 and it will have problems...
Now i hope cleaning laptop will help
Reply Quote
Cause in the begining fps is 130-140 on low,after a while go 70-80,but in big battles i saw fps drops like under 10 and it is unplayable.Just want fps won`t go under 30 fps .That will be enough.
Reply Quote
Can someone explain to me why the recommended specs are talking about for example nividia geforce 9300. As the actual video cards nowadays are like 660, 675 and 680. im so confused..
Edited by bladezlash on 14/02/2013 18:52 GMT
Reply Quote
The kinda 4-digit series of Nvidia cards are the older cards starting with the 2000 series (GT) I think and going up to the 9000 series (GT/GTX) The 3-digit Nvidia cards are just the new series of cards.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]