StarCraft® II

Is it legal? Blizzard response needed please.

Hi,
I'd like an Official Blizzard response to tell me whether or not I can change the shortcut txt file to what shortcut keys I want.

I am a disabled player and find it hard to use many keys, but the keys I can use I'd like to be more helpful to me.

Please can Blizzard tell me if this is legal to change the txt file to change my shortcut keys?

:D
Reply Quote
Hi Flowzor, thanks for your reply...

...is there an official statement anywhere from Blizzard saying it's ok?

(I'm extremely paranoid!)

Reply Quote
Ok, thanks again.

I've written to Blizzard asking the same question - hopefully I'll receive a response from Blizzard...

... but would be nice to receive the response here directly from Blizzard on this question - that way other people know for sure as well.

Reply Quote
Blizzard really need to say the same thing about this situation of changing files.

I received this, this morning...

[REMOVED]

So again,

PLEASE can I have a Blizzard reply on this?

Thank you!
Edited by Krinskal on 03/09/2010 09:49 BST
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Please do not post emails sent from our representatives.

With regards to your inquiry please bear in mind that players are not allowed to edit StarCraft II files.
Reply Quote
One workaround for this (w/o any need to modify SCII files) would be to install AutoHotkey and make a script that changes the functions of your keys.

x::y
y::x

§::Suspend

In this example the functions of keys x and y are switched while § suspends the script.
Reply Quote
Please do not post emails sent from our representatives.

With regards to your inquiry please bear in mind that players are not allowed to edit StarCraft II files.

Please read this post by a Blizzard representative - taken from this forum;

I'm sorry to hear your previous graphic adapter is now damaged. However, I have to point out that the game is not capable of pushing hardware beyond its limits.

With regards to your new graphic adapter, I would recommend you to enable VSync; you could also add the following two lines to your Variables.txt file located in Documents\StarCraft II:

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=30

So please, how can one person say one thing, and another say something else?

Either we CAN change the txt file, or we can't, but please don't give two answers.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
For instance, are you talking about changing hotkeyprofile=0_Default to hotkeyprofile=2_GridLeftSide in the Variables.txt file?
Reply Quote
Hi again Krinskal,
if that means I can swap the use of say the 's' and 'n' keys for example, then yes.

Because I don't have the use of certain fingers and one of my arms due to my disability, I just want to make it so I can use the keys I can reach with one hand - I don't want to make any macros or do anything to enable me to cheat in the game itself - just so I can reach the keys near my hand, as the different sets of key bindings in SC2 are of no use to me.

Thank you for your quick reply.
Reply Quote
For instance, are you talking about changing hotkeyprofile=0_Default to hotkeyprofile=2_GridLeftSide in the Variables.txt file?

It's about customizing the profile, not setting which profile is active.

Like modifying the grid to this :

åäöpy
aoeui
.qjkx

or similar

http://aoeu.info/images/svorak-A1-large.png
Edited by Scorpyn on 03/09/2010 13:45 BST
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
What about the in-game predefined Hotkey Profiles?

How are you going to change keybindings that are not provided by the default Profiles without altering the game files?
Reply Quote
What about the in-game predefined Hotkey Profiles?

Unfortunately they only work for qwerty, not qwertz/azerty/dvorak/colemak/arensito/svorak/svdvorak etc :-(

Also, since my keyboard is split in 2, I can't reach further than TGB (qwerty) with my left hand. Y is used for warp-in, can't reach that.

http://kinesis-ergo.com/images/kb_adv-pro_met720x471.jpg

How are you going to change keybindings that are not provided by the default Profiles without altering the game files?

Not possible afaik.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=117649
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/495977
Edited by Scorpyn on 03/09/2010 13:57 BST
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee

Unfortunately this is not allowed.
Reply Quote

Unfortunately this is not allowed.

:-(

Will hotkeys become customizable or am I stuck with using the mouse?
Edited by Scorpyn on 03/09/2010 13:59 BST
Reply Quote
Can I ask why not when the following is allowed?

I'm sorry to hear your previous graphic adapter is now damaged. However, I have to point out that the game is not capable of pushing hardware beyond its limits.

With regards to your new graphic adapter, I would recommend you to enable VSync; you could also add the following two lines to your Variables.txt file located in Documents\StarCraft II:

frameratecapglue=30
frameratecap=30
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Will hotkeys become customizable or am I stuck with using the mouse?

I have no information regarding this. I'll forward your suggestion to the appropriate people nonetheless, I understand this feature should be available in order to lift any sort of obstacles that could prevent players from performing better.

Can I ask why not when the following is allowed?

Editing/deleting the Variables.txt file doesn't alter core game files.
Edited by Krinskal on 03/09/2010 14:11 BST
Reply Quote
In my opinion, that IS changing core game files.

So what about using a program like Autohotkeys to change the hotkeys - that isn't changing the core files?
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
So what about using a program like Autohotkeys to change the hotkeys - that isn't changing the core files?

As far as I can tell with Autohotkeys you are moving keys around, you're not macro'ing nor exploiting game mechanics. Please do not quote me on this for I'm no Autohotkeys user, I'm just guessing.

In my opinion, that IS changing core game files.

There are no variables in the Variables.txt file that could help exploit the game. This file allows you to tweak in-game settings to obtain acceptable (or better) in-game performance. However, editing the Variables.txt file is not recommended as it could render the game client unusable.
Edited by Krinskal on 03/09/2010 14:16 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]