I wanted to hop on to speak to this issue a bit, as it’s certainly something our team cares a good deal about. As some of you may know, we’ve been preparing a big update to StarCraft II (patch 1.5) that will introduce a number of welcomed features to the client -- one of which is the ability for us to stream content updates to the game. This will allow for quicker access to a play session (removing the need to wait for patches to fully complete) and remove the need to repair your client files, as they’ll be constantly kept up to date automatically.
One of the unfortunate side effects of streaming is that mods that alter the StarCraft II archive files will no longer function, including color-clarity mods, custom Battle.net background mods, and more. Although these types of archive modifications go against our EULA and can also be used to spread malicious viruses or Trojans, we do understand the merit of many of these features. With the color-clarity issue specifically we actually have a few people on the team who are affected by color-blindness.
The development team is looking into options now to support color clarity and customized backgrounds as well as some of the other mod features. We believe that in the long run, it's best for us to provide an option like stronger team colors within the game, as opposed to an externally modded solution that we can't explicitly support.
We’ll keep the community updated on our progress and appreciate your continued feedback.
Some request for future mod support:
- custom Advisor voice. For example Overmind from SC2 and from SC1, or just allow us to specify what sound we can hear when event happens. I mean someone with nuke alert event will hear "nuclear launch detected", and other, with customized sound, can hear "NUKE NUKE", someone other will hear korean "RIVA RIVA RIVA!", etc
- custom skins for battle.net and loading screen before game starts (instead Jim Raynor)
- add sound scheme called "SC1", that holds all SC1BW sounds. It can be added as Collectors Edition gift
- custom UI. Just allow us to load picture instead current 3D model of UI. Or create official folder "Customization", that holds basic presets of some ingame UI elements and we can replace it
- allow us to change transparency of Battle.Net interface
- allow us to change ingame colors:
--- modify color for red team
--- modify color for blue team
--- modify color for green/yellow/red teams (in ALT-F mode)
--- modify color for HP-bars
- allow us to customize HP-bars, making it bigger or smaller, wider or less, etc
- allow to load custom texture for cursor or take it from official Customization folder
- add ingame player, that loads music from specified folder. Some games have this feature (GTA, Need for Speed, etc), why not add to SC2?
- allow to modify music for race, for Battle.Net, etc. Something, like "Music when observing Battle.Net / Music when playing as zerg / Music when losing / Music when combat begins / Music when doing nothing / etc"
Edited by Evsizpire on 15/08/12 21:41 (BST)
I opened a title about the discomfort i experienced about the title.
It is god to see that we are recognized and being tought of . I hope there will be some reasonable changes for color blind people like me.