StarCraft® II

Questions on the topic of Casual Gamers :-)

Community
Hi everybody,

There have been quite a lot of talk and speculation recently about the kind of things that casual gamers like or don't like to do in StarCraft II, and I personally find this to be a very interesting topic to follow.

There are already a good number of discussions going on here on our forums as well as on other StarCraft related sites, and from what I have seen so far, there have been quite a few mixed opinions and thoughts on this topic. I therefore think it could be nice to get some more feedback on this topic from you guys, so I figured it would be a good idea to ask you guys a few questions.

The questions below are not targeted at anyone in particular, so please feel free to answer even if you do not consider yourself a Casual Gamer :-)

• Do you consider yourself to be a Casual Gamer in StarCraft II?
  • In your opinion, what is the definition of a Casual Gamer in StarCraft II?
  • In your opinion, what do you think Casual Gamers like to do the most in StarCraft II?
  • In your opinion, what kind of things do you think Casual Gamers would you like to see more of in StarCraft II in the future?
Reply Quote
07/11/2012 09:26Posted by Vaneras
Do you consider yourself to be a Casual Gamer in StarCraft II?

Yeah I consider myself kind of as a Casual Gamer seeing the time I spend on SC2.

In your opinion, what is the definition of a Casual Gamer in StarCraft II?

A player who doesn't only play to improve him game but mostly to have fun. I mean by this they tend to look more to the "game" side of sc2 and less on the competitive side.

In your opinion, what do you think Casual Gamers like to do the most in StarCraft II?

They tend to do play more arcade and team games then non-casual gamers. I have a few friends who only play arcade games.

In your opinion, what kind of things do you think Casual Gamers would you like to see more of in StarCraft II in the future?

I rather think they don't want to change SC2 too much since they probably less about it then non-casual. I think they would rather see more arcade games roulation instead of always the same top rated
Reply Quote

• I consider myself a competitive player with casual tendencies :-)

• I don’t like the normal hardcore / casual terminology,
    I would at least divide them into 3 categories

1: High /Pro level competitive players
    2: Competitive players (You could arguably separate this even further)
    3: Casual players

A Casual player is a player who plays a game for fun and for Abnegation/submission a pass time and for relaxing, they like to socialize and hang with friends.

• In your opinion, what do you think Casual Gamers like to do the most in StarCraft II?

• Hang in chat channels and play UMS / Custom games(none melee)

• In your opinion, what kind of things do you think Casual Gamers would like to see more of in StarCraft II in the future?

• I think socialization is a key feature (dnk-1 chat channels (localized chat) where awesome for casuals back in the day of sc/wc3/d1/d2 it helped fuel both casual and competetive communities.

Make custom games (none melee!) more attractive to play, xp, leveling system etc. and a user interface that speaks to that kind of socialization / play experience.
    There are a lot more features they might like but I really think these are the most important

Cheers!
    Reply Quote
    No

Someone who plays exclusively to have fun.

In your opinion, what do you think Casual Gamers like to do the most in StarCraft II?
    Arcade games (UMS')

In your opinion, what kind of things do you think Casual Gamers would you like to see more of in StarCraft II in the future?

Better, more social battle.net, as well as a good arcade system (look at Warcraft 3's for example). Also improving the map maker would make it easier for good mapmakers to make fun and interesting maps.
    Reply Quote
    make Blizzard Dota released with HOTS, add it to the starter edition with few restrictions and make it rly goood = profit
    Reply Quote
    I'm casual, I never play 1v1. I do love team games though. And I wish custom games were more easy to find.
    Reply Quote
    Yes, I spend only a couple hours per week in the game

Someone who plays to relax, en not really that hardcore driven to competition.

Destroy their friends in 1v1's :D

What I would really like is a seperate ranking among your friends, so you dont compare yourself to the rest of the world, but to your friends playing sc2.
    That is what brought me back to d3, I wanted to catch up on my friends, and be able to play at their level. The social aspect is so important. I want to be able to hang out on skype and have a blast.

Not really a fan of arcade games, I played some occasionally, but I enjoy a 1v1 much more especially against friends. peepmode i guess :D
    Reply Quote
    Do you consider yourself an Casual Gamer in Starcraft II?
    Yes.

Someone who plays for fun and isn't too bothered about climbing the ladder.
    Also, casual players might spend far more time watching Starcraft II tournaments than actaully playing the game themselves.

Play/make custom games, play team games.

Improvements to arcade, more tutorials on how to make custom games, support for watching tournaments in game, LAN support for major tournaments.

Also I think it's important to have more units in the game as it can become a bit stale using/watching the same compositions every time.

I've got a more detailed post which contains some other ways Starcraft II can be made more casual friendly here:- http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/5723625417
    Reply Quote
    1. Do you consider yourself to be a Casual Gamer in StarCraft II?

Not casual, I love me some competition 1v1 more, but team games as well. I rarely play arcade, and even there I go to monobattles, microtournament, micromacro, Raynor party, which all involve competing other players.

2. In your opinion, what is the definition of a Casual Gamer in StarCraft II?

It is the one that does not play ladder. More for hanging out via battle net rather than competing.

3. In your opinion, what do you think Casual Gamers like to do the most in StarCraft II?

Arcade custom games, chat channels, observe games, rarely ladder team games.

4. In your opinion, what kind of things do you think Casual Gamers would like to see more of in StarCraft II in the future?

Well, more opportunities to communicate, hang out. More non-competitive, less game pressure things. Automated tournament system would be sweet as well. No pressure, still fun while playing against others. Hanging out observing others playing.
    Edited by Lukre on 07/11/2012 10:36 GMT
    Reply Quote
    1). Yes, I would consider myself a casual.
    2). Someone that will quit the game as soon as he finds something more enjoyable. A casual wont grind out games just for the sake of getting better.
    3). There isnt one thing casuals like to do the most. Some like to 1v1/2v2/3v3/4v4 some prefer custom games.
    4). Except for "getting better" there is little to know motivation to keep playing. Games get boring after a while. In WoW you have the social aspect aswell as new content every ~year. In LoL you have upgrades and new heroes. In Starcraft there is nothing like that and an expansion every 3 years wont cut it. Release new maps more frequently and maybe implement a reward system that is not just based on your ladder rank.
    Edited by Niaz on 07/11/2012 11:02 GMT
    Reply Quote

I played mostly 1v1, but I want to stay in platinum league (when I am top platinum, I switch race because Diamond League has too strict timing and it is not very fun to play).
    So maybe, I am a Casual Gamer too.

A player who doesn't only play to be the best but mostly to have fun.

4v4
    But I prefere 1v1 !

2v2, 3v3 and 4v4 are just broken and not very funny because the maps are just very bad. If you add some map features like lava flow, teleportation area, drawbridge, etc... Maybe it could be funner.

Maps with fun features, like the Halloween map in DotA 2.
    Reply Quote
    Yes Absolutely

Someone who plays for fun and does not really care about rank as much as others would.
    People who still play on a regular basis but dont dedicate the same amount of time or effort into Ranked ladder as much as others would.

When I played regularily I used to play with friends and just have a laugh in either 3v3 or some custom games.

The ability to play games unranked and to not have to be concerned with it at all, When you are new a game that requires a skill level as high as Starcraft I can't begin to tell you how disheartening it is to see your at the bottom of the skill level and going nowhere fast. If I could even play 1v1 unranked it would generate a lot more interest for me at least.

This would in itself bring a lot more problems to the table if you had an unranked ladder such as people just leaving mid game but they can be approached as they arise.

Making the same few features that the "Pro's" love more accessible by even making 1v1 no stress is and would make a huge differance to me. When I first heard about that my interest in HOTS soared as I had almost none before.

Beyond that I believe focusing on the social aspects of SC2 would be greatly beneficial to both pro's and casuals and making it a less lonely place. I have lots of friends in D3 usually, a lot in WoW, maybe 1 in SC2 at night. The majority of which I believe you are addressing with Clan support etc.

Thanks Blizz
    Reply Quote

• In your opinion, what kind of things do you think Casual Gamers would you like to see more of in StarCraft II in the future?

casual gamer:
    yes
    casual gamer def:
    a person that doesnt play starcraft 2 consistenly. I only play AI games for example, the ladder frustrates me lots. I would play a lot more with my friends, but theyre not available at the time I am, so that kinda does it.
    what casual gamers do in SC2
    well, some people chased achievments right after the game appeared, but thats over. I guess play a few games here and there, AI, Green Tea AI, maybe SC2 games with friends when they show up. I have zero interest in arcade games/UMS for example.
    what casual gamers would like to see in the future in SC2
    a way to enjoy the game non-competitively: unranked matches but based on MMR, unlockables, achievments, a sense of progress in the game, that is not competitive.
    Edited by Vio on 07/11/2012 11:08 GMT
    Reply Quote
    Hi everybody,

There have been quite a lot of talk and speculation recently about the kind of things that casual gamers like or don't like to do in StarCraft II, and I personally find this to be a very interesting topic to follow.

There are already a good number of discussions going on here on our forums as well as on other StarCraft related sites, and from what I have seen so far, there have been quite a few mixed opinions and thoughts on this topic. I therefore think it could be nice to get some more feedback on this topic from you guys, so I figured it would be a good idea to ask you guys a few questions.

The questions below are not targeted at anyone in particular, so please feel free to answer even if you do not consider yourself a Casual Gamer :-)

I am a casual. I guess played less than 50 1on1s so far, because i just find them to be too stressfull. It's too competetive and cut-throat for me, and that's why i don't play it. On the other side, i enjoy watching Pros play (even though currently it gets stale, because there aren't new maps and BL/Infestor feels imba and is boring to watch). It would be cool if it was easier to get in touch with pro games and tournaments via the client, because at the moment one usually comes in touch with this stuff via community sites like homerj.de and teamliquid.net. I would also love to see units that are bad when not micro'd or micro'd poorly, but godlike if in the hands of a skilled player (vultures, reaver, ...). I think SC2 is lacking a bit in this regard.

I mostly play team games (which get kinda boring because there haven't been new maps for ages), and some custom maps like star battles and star strikers. But it's hard to find these, because the Arcade is just too confusing.
    Reply Quote

Yes.

Someone who plays the game as a hobby or just plays it now and again.

Ladder and play custom games.

- Skins and/or accessories for your units
    - More custom features for your prefered ladder race
    - Trophies and Achievements
    - Being able to play 1v1’s that don’t affect ladder (off race ladders)
    - An easy way to meet new players for custom games
    - Be able to watch streams and tourneys in starcraft
    Edited by Contra on 07/11/2012 11:20 GMT
    Reply Quote
    It has been some time since I've played sc2, mainly because friends don't want to play it, and great difference in skill level.
    I'd love to see the implementation of team melee (heck maybe even a ladder for just that), so we could share the base down to every unit, thus canceling out the skill level difference.
    Reply Quote
    How could they answer if that game/bnet feature is not present or is not obvious within SC2. I have some casual Starcraft friends and to this day what we play for fun is BW's BGH in 3v3/4v4/2v2v2v2 mode. Crazy chaotic fun.
    Edited by ImmortalKing on 07/11/2012 11:29 GMT
    Reply Quote
    Hi everybody,

I think there are various categories of casual gamers.

One category is "pure casuals", folks who play rarely, and do not want to spend a lot of time on games. They might play a game when they want a distraction, but only in very short bursts and until something else catches their attention.

The other category is "instant gratification" casuals. Those are folks that might potentially spend a lot of time in the game, and are willing to learn the bare minimum on how to play it, but only want the game to present an illusion of challenge, not actual one. In other words, they want rewards, they want content, but want the only requirement for that to be their presence.

Third are true "casual gamers", in the sense that they are actually gamers, they like games, they are willing to invest time to acquire some skill, yet they still treat games as a hobby and have limited time to actually invest in gaming.

IMHO, first category can freely be ignored. No matter how simple you make SC2 to be, it will not be simple enough. The second and third category are interesting and might probably be catered to with similar things (achievements, bonus content, fluff), however my opinion is that Blizzard should still decide which group they want to focus to. Problem with instant gratification types is that you can never really satisfy them in the long run - since they want most stuff for least effort they will consume everything you throw at them as quickly as they can and will just want more, more, more. The third category might be the most rewarding as customers, and catering to that category will (again in my opinion) result in a quality game. You need to offer actual challenges, and then present rewards for meeting those challenges - and you need to draw a fine line between the level of challenge presented, amount of available content and rewards given for it.

Levels for each race are definitely a step in the right direction (although that feature requires some heavy tweaking). Unranked ladder too (but again, in my opinion, it needs work, in the sense that it should offer something more then just "laddering with hidden league"). However I still feel there is a lot more you can do. You might start offering "challenge of the week" - think Starcraft Master map, only instead of bundling all challenges you give one new challenge on weekly basis. You could do the same with achievements, so each week new achievement pops up - not only will you provide incentive for the "casuals" to keep coming back regularly, you will give someone who left Starcraft for a few months a reason to revisit it, since there will be a bunch of new interesting mini-goals waiting for him. Furthermore you could spice up ladder (perhaps just the unranked one) with random goals which appear when the game has already started - like you need to get at least two expos, or build no lings etc., so the player can decide whether he wants to play regularly or meet up the additional challenge. Really, there is lots of stuff you might add to cater to casuals - the only guideline should be that the content should be new, interesting, not solely oriented towards getting an arbitrary number as high as it can be and finally - actually require at least minimal effort and creativity from the player, not just persistence (like the only current long term rewards - win counters - do now).

There. Hope that at least I helped just a little bit. :)
    Edited by McFly on 07/11/2012 11:36 GMT
    Reply Quote
    MVP - WoW, StarCraft II

Yup.

I believe a casual gamer is an individual who does not spend as much time playing the game and improving on their skills as much as the more dedicated gamers. As a result they generally progress in the leagues slower, but that does not mean they won't eventually reach, say, diamond or something after a certain period of time.

That's a tough one! I think this differs greatly between people, so I very much doubt such a question can be accurately answered. Personally I just like to play the game with friends sometimes, fool around with some custom maps. Other times I just like to do some 1v1's, which can either be a frustrating or rewarding experience.

When I just feel like trying something new with a build order, I just play against AI.

I think a number of the casual gamers out there also play the game just for its campaign. I've a few friends who are casual with this game, and some of them haven't played it for years now because they finished the campaign.

I think casual gamers would love to see some more community and social features in the game. But there are already much in the way of new features coming in HotS for that, so I think this game is taking a step in the right direction!
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]