StarCraft® II

Game loading screen being extremely disturbing

Hello, since last thread regarding this issue has been dead for over a month, i decided to make a new thread in order to inquire if anyone has actually found a way to change the Kerrigan loading screen image.

Even though i have no problem playing the game i still, probably due to my psychical illness, find this specific loading screen revolting to the point where i often decide not to play Starcraft just to avoid looking at that image. Since i am not the first one to bring this up, i am still patiently waiting for Blizzard to hopefully provide players a solution, that would not be a silly "look away" one.
Reply Quote
Could you tell me what illness do you have ?
Is it epilepsy?
Reply Quote
The image disappears after 15 seconds.. just don't look at it -.-
Reply Quote
Why do you find it so disturbing? All I see is kerrigan her face, nothing special about that imo.
Reply Quote
Why do you find it so disturbing? All I see is kerrigan her face, nothing special about that imo.

Do you brag to colorblind people about being able to see all the colors too?

I doubt that anyone could deny the loading screen not being your-regular-pegi14 splash (yes, i know starcraft 2 is pegi16, that's not the point). From my perspective one part of the uniqueness comes from obvious sex appeal and another- from horror fiction like tentacles and unnatural colors. Adding really good artists in a mix drops the image right to the bottom of the uncanny valley.

Now i fully understand people who like realistically drawn/modeled zombies, ghouls and whatnot, the Kerrigan image might be really awesome for them. However, as you might imagine, the uncanny valley and most of anxiety disorders don't really mix... So it kinda makes me sad that now i am forced to go over an arbitrary barrier just to play a game i have played so much in the past.

In short, i am not demanding any special treatment here, any way to change/remove/override that loading screen image would be fine... Even BW Kerrigan would be better, since she barely resembled a humanoid :)
Reply Quote
As a zerg player I prefer looking at Kerrigan rather than Raynor. But that's not the case here :D
Reply Quote
Well, there is no independant way of changing the loading screen.
This is baffeling, you're complaining about the picture, that is at the core of this game? This is really a unique problem that is yours. It's the way Blizzard chooses to present it's game.

Now i fully understand people who like realistically drawn/modeled zombies, ghouls and whatnot, the Kerrigan image might be really awesome for them. However, as you might imagine, the uncanny valley and most of anxiety disorders don't really mix... So it kinda makes me sad that now i am forced to go over an arbitrary barrier just to play a game i have played so much in the past.

... however you want to write it. Or not write it. Is it because it's a women, or something like that? Obviously this is your own problem.. and ermh.. well. That really sucks. Cause it's not a horrific picture, and if that's a problem for you, perhaps the game isn't a good idea as the content of the game revolves exceptionally around that splash.
Idk, look away? Maybe some techy can identify where the splash is located and you can replace or delete it. Who knows... But i'd be more concerned with your concern about the splash then anything..
Reply Quote
Open the game and don't look at it? Problem solved?
Reply Quote
Wait, you have no problem with all the big, moving zerg monsters in the campaign cutscenes and all the other zerg elements in the interface, but you have a problem with the kerrigan loading screen?? I'm sorry, not buying it.
Reply Quote
I don't think there is a way of changing it, I have no problems with both. Try maybe not look at it and turn when you hear music.

To everyone,
Thing is that some people are (no offense to anyone) weaker than others, example: kids percept scary monsters as ... scary and realistic creatures, when healthy, mature person as special effect. Healthy person won't be afraid of such, but mentally weaker person will.
It is similar thing to every phobia, my friend is just afraid of every spider he meets, when I just take them as normal living form on this planet. That's how human mind works.

@Ostinato
Well, in WoL campaign cutscenes there aren't many Zergs, and it surely isn't very realistic.
Look at his profile. Do you see "Heart of the Swarm Campaign"? It's not complete so I believe he didn't even play it (since he is 0/0/0 level too). Not everyone has HotS and not everyone plays Zerg.

In-game units on lowest settings are just ... units. Besides they are more bronze. Kerrigan image is pretty realistic, if something like this would exist.
Edited by ForgottenOne on 07/05/2013 09:31 BST
Reply Quote
This is a sci-fi fantasy game, with aliens and whatever comes with it. Seriously, what do you expect from the loading screen? Bunnies? It's a woman with tentacle hair and a slight purple tint. I obviously know nothing of your condition, but this seems to be a rather specific thing to find revolting, considering the other content in Starcraft...

If you find this revolting, then reconsider your choice in games, or find your own work around instead of asking the makers to cater to your individual needs (Which would be the simple task of looking away for a few seconds until the game has loaded). They have enough to deal with as it is.
Reply Quote
I think it should be possible to just replace the loading screen image with something else, but unfortunately I dont exactly know how. For now you'll probably just have to look away or turn off your monitor during load. Either that, or just face your fears, dont allow them to limit you like this.
Reply Quote
I would really like to be able to change it too.

If I could choose, it would be a picture of one big fat tasty cake. gif gif gif.
(acting like a minor again, on the forums.......dammit!)

On topic (concerning you)
As many have said, the only option atm is to look away, or write to blizz customer service:-)

ALLLL! The best wishes from me to you.
Edited by UnderLord on 08/05/2013 09:49 BST
Reply Quote
Oooooo tentacles and odd colors! Are you afraid of Squidward too?
Reply Quote
LOL obvious troll. I find it funny how many naive people didn't realize that yet. I'll give you 6/10 for creativity OP.
Edited by Corsten on 07/05/2013 16:19 BST
Reply Quote
Even though i personally like the picture, I think the OP is right. Just as a game should preferably be designed as to be playable by color blind people, I think the loading screen should be changed (or maybe be switchable in the options) if it is perceived as uncomfortable by some people.
Edited by Eulerinurass on 07/05/2013 16:23 BST
Reply Quote
Even though i personally like the picture, I think the OP is right. Just as a game should preferably be designed as to be playable by color blind people, I think the loading screen should be changed (or maybe be switchable in the options) if it is perceived as uncomfortable by some people.

are you joking?

the people who find it uncomfortable just need to look away for 20 seconds.

why are we even arguing about this. Hell, why am i commenting to this in first place....
Reply Quote
The main rule among neurotypical people is that if someone is different in a way they can't categorize, then that someone is trolling.

This is just one of the immensely stupid things people do automatically.
Reply Quote
07/05/2013 16:36Posted by WheepingSong

are you joking?

the people who find it uncomfortable just need to look away for 20 seconds.

why are we even arguing about this. Hell, why am i commenting to this in first place....

Because you're a simple person who is controlled by emotions, and lack basic empathy. You might also be a narcissist.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]