StarCraft® II

LADDER and LEAGUE: Frequently Asked Questions

(Locked)

MVP - World of Warcraft
Periodically there are some questions here about Ladder, League system, Division and how it all works. Here we go with some FAQs. Every answer here is verified.

If you have other questions, just add them with a replay and they will be added here. ;)

Q: What's a League?
Leagues are the way players are divided and organized when they decided to start playing into the competitive multiplayer Ladder of Starcraft II. We have 7 different rank for now: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond, Master and GrandMaster. Each game mode (1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4) has separate and different Leagues (only GrandMaster is exclusively for 1v1). Initially you need to make 5 qualifying matches before being assigned to a league. Leagues are only linked to game mode and not to the race you play.

Examples.
1v1: after five qualifying matches we are assigned to Platinum. We have played always using Zerg, now we want to try Protoss. We'll not have to do again qualification for 1v1, we'll stay where we are. We can play every race we want.

2v2 (it also applies to 3v3 and 4v4): we do qualification with a friend and we qualify in the Gold League. The day after, I want to do another 2v2, but my friend is not online, so I select 2v2 mode. I'll play that game with one random ally, selected by matchmaking system, but I'll have to do again 5 qualifying matches. I can play in the first Gold League only when I'm in group with that specific friend. Different friends, different Leagues.

Q: What's a Division?
Once we are assigned to a league we'll not have a general ranking, we'll be put inside a Division with other 99 players. There are a lot of Divisions inside each Leagues, and they are here to give a more close and realistic objective for every player: reach the top of that not so big group. Winning matches will let you gain points (depending on the strength of your opponent) that will allow you to advance inside your division.

Q: Are names of Divisions unique? How are they generated?
They are generated in a random way, not totally random, but at least a part of it. No information for now if those names can appear at same time in different leagues or they are totally unique.
-Suggested by Antoxa-

Q: Where will I be promoted to an upper league?
Only one factor count: your victories, it's not important how you win. No matter what's you position inside your Division (you don't need to be first). Periodically, the matchmaking system will let you fight versus "Favored" opponents. Winning this, and other match, will help. If your performance is very good you could also be promoted directly from Bronze to Gold (for example), jumping over Silver.

Q: Can I also be demoted?
Yes, as you can go up, you can also go down. Active Player population in SC2 is divided equally in each Leagues, 20% for each rank (only Master is 2%, Diamond 18% and GrandMaster is the top200 of an entire region). We cannot be all in Diamond or Master, otherwise the entire game would lose its meaning. ;)

Q: Will my league change if I'm away from SC2 for a while?
No, your league will never change if you don't play. It is possible that when you finish your first match (after your return) you could be put into a new league, but this is something rare.
-Suggested by Raiju-

Q: I've seen the profile of some of my opponents (in 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 mode) and I noticed that they were much stronger than me. I'm bronze and I'm getting diamonds as opponents. Is this normal?
When you look a player profile you see his best leagues, because that is what is displayed. He might have been in a bronze league team when he was playing with you.

The other explanation for this is that you have been very successful in your last games, and the system decided to test your strength versus tougher opponents. You'll lose very little points if you play versus much higher level players, but you'll gain a lot if you win.
-Suggested by Zee-

Q: Why sometimes do you see your opponent "Favored" when match start and when it finishes it said that he was only "Slightly Favored"?
At the moment there are no official information available about this. We don't know how the system decides who is "Favored" or why there are sometimes this kind of discrepancy.
-Suggested by Rael-

Q: Inside Leagues, is it random to be in one division or in another?
The system try to put players with similar skill inside same division, of course this is not always possible for logistic reasons.
-Suggested by Woland-

Q: Is it possible to play two ladder games in a row against the same opponent?
Yes. The ladder system doesn't eliminate any player who was assigned to clash with you even if he has just played a match with you.
-Suggested by Hyouma-
Edited by Ligario on 12/07/2011 19:35 BST
MVP - World of Warcraft
Q. What is the Bonus Pool and how are bonus points acquired?
The Bonus Pool is an accumulation of points that every player receives whether they're online and playing or not. They're essentially used as a means to help give a player a catch-up boost if they haven't played in a while. The pool does have a cap, but it increases slowly until the end of a season.
- Taken from --> http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_GB&articleId=46710 -

Q. How is the Bonus Pool used in competitive play?
When you achieve victory against another player, you are awarded a certain number of points. The Bonus Pool points will match the number of points you received for winning.

For example: If you were to have a Bonus Pool of 30 and you win a match that would normally give you 10 points, points will then be pulled from your Bonus Pool to match those 10 points and you'll be awarded 20 points for winning that game. Your bonus pool will then sit at 20.
- Taken from --> http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_GB&articleId=46710 -

Q. Is it possible to earn more bonus points than other players by either playing more or less than usual?
All players have access to the same amount of Bonus Pool, regardless of when they are assigned a division.

Q: Is the number of games played by someone a relevant factor for the matchmaking system?
The number of games played by someone it's not relevant in this case. You're matched with your opponent based on your personal rating. If someone has 1000 games it doesn't necessarily mean that he won't be matched against someone with 20 games. It all comes down to the personal matchmaking rating and players with a similar rating will be matched together. Being matched against the same person is uncommon, but it might happen from time to time.

Skill is not determined by the number of games played. Yeah, it surely helps, but that's not a relevant factor for the matchmaking system :)
- Zhydaris --> http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/1679478393#4 -

Q: I got promoted, does this means that someone got demoted?
The divisions are set up to be 2% - 18% - 20% - 20% - 20% - 20% of the active player base. This means, if more players join the ranks of the ladders then you will see more divisions being created. This means that you can in fact be promoted and the total ratio of players in all divisions stay the same though no other player was demoted. Would the number of active players always be the same, then at some point if you get better than other players you most likely would switch leagues. But as this system is constantly evolving and more players are joining - you don't need to worry (or be happy), that you kicked some poor soul out of their league. ;)
- Xordiah --> http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/1710236950#14 -

Q: I have heard that Season 3 will begin soon. Is it true?
Each Season should last for about 3 months. So, Season 3 should start near the end of June. When this will happen, we'll see a reset of the various leagues, of course nobody will lose any achievement. After that you will need to do only 1 qualifying match, because matchmaking system will not have any reset and will continue to have a complete history of our match in order to offer always better opponents, with an appropriate skill level.

Q: Will be there new Leagues?
With patch 1.2 we have seen the Master League and with 1.3 the Grand Master. Grand Master is the top 200 of our region and all players can see it in-game. It seems that there is not so much space for other leagues.

Q: Is Grand Master League only available for 1v1?
Yea, Grand Master League is only available for 1v1.
Edited by Ligario on 04/06/2011 14:54 BST
Green. How get?
Green. How get?

You don't even need to know... you will never get it...
Gief blizzard moneeeyyz
Is it possible to jump from bronze to gold, gold to diamond etc etc?

Yeah it is. And this had left a lot of people complaining, since you can end up playing against glod/plat players while being in bronze if you improve very very fast. Just keep playing though, and you will be promote when you settle down somewhere on the skill curve.
MVP - World of Warcraft

Yep, it is possible. ;)

If your performance is very good you could also be promoted directly from Bronze to Gold (for example), jumping over Silver.
I hope this will stop the "OMG LEAGUES AND MATCHMAKING SUXXX" threads.

I'd also add the following:

Q: I'm being matched by much higher level players (i'm bronze and getting diamonds as opponents)? What gives? (Team games)
A: If you looked at his profile you saw the best league he's in, because that is what is displayed. He might have been in a bronze league team when he was playing with you.
The other explanation for this is that you have been very successful lately, and the game decided to test your strenght versus tougher opponents. You lose very little points if you play versus much higher level players, but you gain a lot if you win.
Hmm I like that jumping over leagues answer. thanks Vorenius and Ligario. I shall maybe get started to play again. played to much for awhile, had to take a break... :)
I have always wondered, can you move between Divisions, meaning that :

I am in Devision A, average points are 1500 diamond.

I am on 3k diamond, will the system move me to a devision which has average points of 2200?

Thanks.
MVP - World of Warcraft
Hi iWave!

No, you can't move between Divisions. ;)
Green. How get?

Shouldn't you be off brain-training or something?
MVP - World of Warcraft
I hope this will stop the "OMG LEAGUES AND MATCHMAKING SUXXX" threads.

I'd also add the following:

[...]

Hi Zee! Your question/answer is now in the first post. ;)
Green. How get?

Shouldn't you be off smashing a car or something?
Green. How get?

Ooh.. Umgee got burneded! I laik.

For the Swarm
Green. How get?

Ooh.. Umgee got burneded! I laik.

For the Swarm
Thank you :) ( i try)
Edited by philpay on 17/11/2010 17:36 GMT
Pliz blizz gief diamond I am so pro for my league, division.
Green. How get?

ask him, he is the most valued poster
Pliz blizz gief diamond I am so pro for my league, division.
lol your almost back in diamond from the worker rushing in bronze i am impressed
Edited by philpay on 17/11/2010 17:41 GMT
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]