StarCraft® II

Race Percentages

How is it okay that Terran are underrepresented in the higher leagues in every single region?

In Masters the percentage is kind of a joke, for every Terran player there are 1,42 Protoss players.

(GLOBAL NUMBERS, Random is not counted)

In MASTERS the percentages are:

Protoss 38%
    Zerg 35,3%
    Terran 26,7%

In DIAMOND the percentages are:

Zerg 37%
    Protoss 34%
    Terran 29%

In PLATINUM the percentages are:

Zerg 38,3%
    Protoss 33.1%
    Terran 28,6%

In GOLD the percentages are:

Zerg 38,5%
    Protoss 32,6%
    Terran 28,9%

In SILVER the percentages are:

Zerg 35,3%
    Protoss 33,4%
    Terran 31,3%

In BRONZE the percentages are:

Terran 38%
    Protoss 34,6%
    Zerg 27,4%

Just reading this you might think that Terran is largely underrepresented but in fact there is not so much of a difference. If your count the number of players in each league there are more people Silver and Bronze than in the rest of the leagues combined(59% of all players are in Silver/Bronze).

If you take these 59%, "the bottom half" of players the percentages are:

Terran 34,77%
Protoss 34,05%
Zerg 31,17%

If you take the remaining 41%, "the top half", the percentages are:

Zerg 37,9%
Protsoss 33,5%
Terran 28,6%

So the conclusion is that Terran is over represented (Not by that much though {34,77%}) in the bottom 59% of all players in all regions combined. AND more importantly, they are LARGELY underrepresented in the top 41% of all players in all regions sporting only 28,6% of the three races. 28,6% might not seem that low but remember that these numbers are from every Gold, Platinum, Diamond and Master player in the world. Also remember that random players are not counted so each race should be about 33.3%. This makes 28,6% an unacceptably low number.

I know the forums are full of people arguing about which race has the hardest time and to be fair those are opinions and even random players are in some ways subjective, everybody has a play style. But these numbers are not subjective, they are fact. So the question is once again, how is this okay?

Source for these numbers are:

http://www.sc2ranks.com/stats/race
http://www.sc2ranks.com/stats/league

Please correct me if my calculations are wrong.

Br Sane
Edited by sane on 18/11/2013 00:03 GMT
Reply Quote
Are the three races split equally among all players?
Reply Quote
It is normal for the race with a larger change in a patch to fall somewhat in the higher Leagues because new tactics has not been established yet, drawing numbers this early is missleading and will not indicate anything about balance.
Reply Quote
how about we stop listening to the statistics, and focus on what we have seen and lived with. i havent seen a single situation where anything was imbalanced (except the widow mine tho, that was really annoying)
but further nothing and every unit had its uses so, i dont think David Kim will be motivated to buff/nerf by seeing that terran is less played.
Reply Quote
lower bottom of players plays terran because they know most of terrans because of starter editon. It will change however.
Reply Quote
how about we stop listening to the statistics, and focus on what we have seen and lived with. i havent seen a single situation where anything was imbalanced (except the widow mine tho, that was really annoying)
but further nothing and every unit had its uses so, i dont think David Kim will be motivated to buff/nerf by seeing that terran is less played.

So Brotoss, what you are saying is. Let's not see the objectiv view. Let's listen to to everybodys subjectiv opinion? How is that better in anyway? And you are in silver league, and sure that represents something, But to imply that because you don't see anything unbalanced everthing is fine is just stupid. Statistics is the only way to see an objectiv picture.

And if David kim doesn't care that Terran is largely underrepresented in higher leagues, than that's not a job well done in my eyes.
Reply Quote
15/11/2013 16:02Posted by Graboid
Are the three races split equally among all players?

Over all, there is about one percent more Protoss and Zerg Players than Terrans. All Statistics are in the attached links.

Br Sane
Reply Quote
15/11/2013 22:22Posted by Derzok
It is normal for the race with a larger change in a patch to fall somewhat in the higher Leagues because new tactics has not been established yet, drawing numbers this early is missleading and will not indicate anything about balance.

You absolutely have a point, let's keep checking to see how it turns out!

Br Sane
Reply Quote
15/11/2013 23:30Posted by ThetaOptimus
lower bottom of players plays terran because they know most of terrans because of starter editon. It will change however.

Yes ofcourse lower leagues so far should be Terran favored. Cause of Wol and Starter etc. Thats totally normal and doesn't worry me, its the higher leagues and the absence of Terran there that is the concern.

Br Sane
Reply Quote
13/11/2013 22:26Posted by sane
So the conclusion is that Terran is over represented (Not by that much though {34,77%}) in the top 59% of all players in all regions combined.

I'm not quiet sure what you mean with that, because those players are the bottom 59% of all players, or are you trying to say that bronze, silver and gold are the top starcraft league,

anyway you forgot to also include that the lower league also include more players which are less active then the higher league, which means that you can never say for sure how many player truely play a race and how many play at least one game per season.
Reply Quote
17/11/2013 17:14Posted by separhim
So the conclusion is that Terran is over represented (Not by that much though {34,77%}) in the top 59% of all players in all regions combined.

I'm not quiet sure what you mean with that, because those players are the bottom 59% of all players, or are you trying to say that bronze, silver and gold are the top starcraft league,

anyway you forgot to also include that the lower league also include more players which are less active then the higher league, which means that you can never say for sure how many player truely play a race and how many play at least one game per season.

Hi separhim, that was actually a typo on my part. Thank you for pointing it out, it should ofcourse be bottom and it's now changed.

Yes it's true that it's not possible for us to see the activity level of players. And that might make it hard to judge the number of the bottom 59% clearly. But it's actually the top 41% that is of more importance in my eyes and thats what I wanted to enlight with this post.

Thank for posting.
Reply Quote
18/11/2013 00:18Posted by sane

Hi separhim, that was actually a typo on my part. Thank you for pointing it out, it should ofcourse be bottom and it's now changed.

Yes it's true that it's not possible for us to see the activity level of players. And that might make it hard to judge the number of the bottom 59% clearly. But it's actually the top 41% that is of more importance in my eyes and thats what I wanted to enlight with this post.

Thank for posting.

No problem, tho I stated about that inactivity of lower league because you said that that was the "top" so I thought that it was fine of race percentages.
Reply Quote
Ok guys its been a while since I first posted the numbers. Looking at them now again, they are basically the same. And now Grand Master League have started and the numbers there are even worse..

In ALL GRAND MASTER LEAGUES combined there are at this moment of writing only 23% Terran! 42% Protos... This means that there is almost dubble the amount of Protoss as there are Terran in Grand Masters combined all over the world.

Seriously, how can this be ok? I ask anyone who wants the game to be as fair and as good an esport as possible to post and make some light on to this!

Br Sane
Edited by sane on 19/11/2013 11:53 GMT
Reply Quote
Ok guys its been a while since I first posted the numbers. Looking at them now again, they are basically the same. And now Grand Master League have started and the numbers there are even worse..

In ALL GRAND MASTER LEAGUES combined there are at this moment of writing only 23% Terran! 42% Protos... This means that there is almost dubble the amount of Protoss as there are Terran in Grand Masters combined all over the world.

Seriously, how can this be ok? I ask anyone who wants the game to be as fair and as good an esport as possible to post and make some light on to this!

Br Sane

Stop it already.

Vast majority of top Korean players are terrans. These players being superior in number to zerg/protoss on prolevel has to be a sign of something because there're the most protosses/zergs in the ladder one would prolly think that they actually make out most of the professional players as well. But somehow, someway most of the best korean players are terran players. funny, oh?

Just let it be. For once. Balance this balance that, there's no imbalance so big in this game that it'd prevent a race from winning. Just play better, concentrate on yourself, fix your mistakes and play the game. Voila.
Reply Quote
Imbalance is not race distribution. The lack of Terran players and over population of Protoss players suggests nothing other than you are grasping at straws for something scandalous to post on here and get a reaction.

I for one am now fairly happy I belong to the smallest group of players of a race. Diamond currently on EU has 27% Terran (1,282 people) and I am one of them. If you want to be too, spend more time practising than whining.
Reply Quote
One of the problems is that terran has the highest skill cap. If you buff terran taeJa will win every single tournament. and if he does not another really good terran will. The problem lies in the micro potential of terran, and the lack of it in other races.
Reply Quote
11/12/2013 09:00Posted by Tysken
the micro potential of terran, and the lack of it in other races

The micro potential is there for the other races too. Have you seen for example Parting micro? It´s sick. TLO also micro very well/much for a zerg player. It´s just that toss and zerg don´t need to micro as much as terran to win, which makes it harder for terran. But that´s how this game is in it´s core. I think it will be hard or impossible to change that. Maybe SC3 will be different.
Edited by OneCoolDude on 11/12/2013 11:50 GMT
Reply Quote

Br Sane

Stop it already.

Vast majority of top Korean players are terrans. These players being superior in number to zerg/protoss on prolevel has to be a sign of something because there're the most protosses/zergs in the ladder one would prolly think that they actually make out most of the professional players as well. But somehow, someway most of the best korean players are terran players. funny, oh?

Just let it be. For once. Balance this balance that, there's no imbalance so big in this game that it'd prevent a race from winning. Just play better, concentrate on yourself, fix your mistakes and play the game. Voila.

What are you talking about?? The Korean GM ladder shows the excact same numbers as the rest of the world. And also, last gsl.DEAR, last wcs, SOS. I could go on.. Get your facts straight.

Sure the very best players can hanlde this obvious imbalance a bit better than the rest of us mortals cause of Terrans higher skill cap. but even they are underrepresented atm. This needs to be adressed.
Edited by sane on 11/12/2013 13:46 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]