StarCraft® II

Offering Help

MVP
Hello everyone, I am PapaToss - and I am offering help.
I am not the best player in the world, or a professional player at all actually (perhaps I'll try in the future, if I've time) - but I am a relatively good Master League player with much experience, and a lot of strategies up my sleeve. If you're a Protoss player in need of help, suggestions and tips - feel free to contact me PapaToss #465 online and we can speak. You can post in this thread, but please keep in mind that doing so will mean we can't exactly discuss the matter. I would suggest contacting me online.

I am free at all times when I'm online except when I'm in game or when I'm using "Busy" status - sometimes I'll be tabbed down and get back to you later, but I should always reply.
As for my skills and merits, if that interests and matters to you, I am currently (while typing this) 2390ish Diamond Protoss player (Update: Season 2 1690 Pt. Protoss, Season 3 currently #4 810 Pt. Protoss) - so I am relatively high. According to sc2ranks.com - I am around #300 in Europe while typing this. I have no impressive feats of strength in SC2 behind me really, that's all I can say - I have been a professional gamer in another game however, so I know what It's like. Although needless to say, SC2 is bigger.

Anyways, just throwing it out there - be you a bronze, silver, gold, platinum or Diamond player looking for advice, or a Master League player looking to widen your horizons and discuss strategies and gameplay, I'm here to help, so feel free to contact me online.

Also - I've written a few guides (with Video), they will be linked below:
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/900710414#1 - How to use the Pylo Trick (Protoss V Zerg)
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/917101756 - Phoenix in Protoss V Terran
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/802540457#1 - How to 1Gate FE in Protoss V Terran
http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/916831010 - How to apply & deal with pressure in PvT

Good Luck in your future games!

//Papa Toss
Edited by PapaToss on 20/08/2011 09:25 BST
Reply Quote
Its nice to see how we, the protoss have double the amount of stickies the terran and zerg have, tho I wonder what reason blizzard had to ignore my guides :< feel neglected :< *sad panda face*

Also, nice to have you here on the protoss side papatoss, united we stand, diveded they will fall? :D
Edited by Prizm on 26/11/2010 11:40 GMT
Reply Quote
I Agree with you Prizm. Can you not make one new topic with all your posts in one and get that stickied?
Reply Quote
MVP
deBats: I'm not sure I follow. My guides are linked in this topic, read the bottom of the OP.
Reply Quote
I Agree with you Prizm. Can you not make one new topic with all your posts in one and get that stickied?

Good thinking there sport! think I'll actually do that : )

But now lets quiet down about me and my ego and let papa here have the spotlight xD
Reply Quote
deBats: I'm not sure I follow. My guides are linked in this topic, read the bottom of the OP.

He was talking about my 5guides i wrote a while back but never got stickied tho they were on the frontpage for like 5decades :P
Reply Quote
MVP
Prizm: Ah, I see. Thought it was directed towards me. Oh well, let's not go offtopic now (e.g. - This discussion over please :>)
Reply Quote
Prizm: Ah, I see. Thought it was directed towards me. Oh well, let's not go offtopic now (e.g. - This discussion over please :>)

Yes I agree, Sorry to have started it for that matter, Totally wrong thread ^^
Just trying to steal some of your thunder :<

OT: I think (well if you have time and want to ofc) you should create a few more tips for the regular brotoss against zerg, which seems to be the big problem for most on these forums at this point in time. Though You seem to be more inclined towards intermediate to advanced
rather than novice : )
Reply Quote
MVP
Prizm: I know, I've been considering making a video directed towards "newbie" Toss, but I'm not sure what I'd want that to contain. My current videos are about strategies that I use, and I'm not saying I'm the best player in the world by any means, but some people may find it difficult to use that which works in 2000+ Diamond. Which means my videos are probably more beneficial to Platinum and Diamond players, than people below.

As mentioned, I've considered it, and I might do so, but I'm not sure what I'd want it to contain. If you've any ideas or want to discuss anything else offtopic, please contact me online PapaToss #465 without any further posts in this thread. Same goes for other people who may want to contact me for whatever reason, if It's not on topic, just contact me online.

//PapaToss
Reply Quote
Yes, you should definitelly make something for more 'new' Protoss... as much as the stuff you do for all of us is awesome, most of your guides are for people in Platinum at least. And that's to say, at least. Less experienced Protoss may only screw up badly, while trying to apply some of the strategies on lower level.. ie the Stargate play, tried it and you know how it went. I couldn't simply maintain the level of micro/macro AND multitasking with my current skill level.

The thing is, I understand that as a high lvl diamond player, it's very easy to forget what we, less experienced players struggle with. Things we struggle with, you'll most likely take them for granted and maybe even think 'how can they even struggle with that?' So yes, trying to guide less experienced player may be tough for very high diamond person, as they no longer can understand the mindset of a newbie anymore. They barely remember walking in these exact same newbie shoes. :-)

Although, it's kind of you to go all out and help people. This forum needs people like you.

//BabyToss
Reply Quote
I have a question PapaToss, how do i beat zerg xD?
Reply Quote
MVP
deBats: There are several different ways to beat Zerg, obviously. Currently, at least personally, I think Zerg are really difficult to beat. Roaches are very powerful now, and mutaling is just as efficient as always. But of course, there are actions you can take.
Against Zerg I usually open 2Gate (watch the "Pylo Trick" video to see a neat trick you can combine with 2Gate - you dont have the option to do it every game, but when you do, It's really good) and get 3 chronoboosted zealots. While they're building I get an assimilator, and add a Cyber ASAP (instead of getting even more zealots) - Because you'll need this if he goes Roaches. If you encounter a Roach Rush, deal as much damage to drones as you can with your Zealots and then fall back, get a Sentry out ASAP (you should have enough gas from that 1 assiimlator) - Roaches arent very strong against Zealots in low numbers if you forcefield. They're definitely not bad against them, but they're not as sick as they otherwise are (Roaches counter Zealots normally) - on the ramp you should be able to defend yourself.

Now - Roaches beat Stalkers costefficiently (infact, I made some tests in unit tester, and Roaches completely devour Stalkers. 7 Stalkers V 12 Roaches, 9 Roaches will stand. 7 Stalkers vs 12 non-speed roaches AND if the Stalkers are kiting, Roaches still win) - but you have to consider that it costs larvae for Zerg. If you get a good stalker count up first, and attack constantly (Pressure is the key against Zerg! Forces him to use larvae for units, and sets him back economy-wise) you can get rid of Roaches with your superior range and maintain a decent Stalker VS Roach count. If you lose your stalkers, you can very well be cooked and served right there, because they're only good if they keep growing in mass.

There are several ways to play against Zerg - find the one that suits you the most. I like putting pressure, and getting alot of Stalkers to deal with the Roaches. After my 2gate, I usually go 3gate + Stargate and expand - It's very effective when it comes to pressuring your opponent. It makes his Roaches practically useless on the offensive (due to the Void Ray), but while you're attacking it can be tough to breach through when his queens are there. Try to snipe the queens with the Stalkers if you get the opportunity to, and keep your Void Rays safe. I find 3Gate Stargate superior to 4Gate, but It depends on what you prefer.

Basically my tip is: Pressure, Pressure, Pressure! Abuse the fact that he cannot build Drones and combat units at the same time as fast as you can in the early game. Use this to get an edge - and remember - even if your 3 first zealots get devoured, It was still worth it if he hatched in alot of lings - they could have been drones instead.

EDIT: mutaling can be very annoying, but try to keep enough pressure to make it hard for him to transition. Kill Spine Crawlers with your rays, and always keep him on his toes. If he goes mutas, get some Phoenixes from your Stargate - and once your expo is up, if he keeps geting mutas, don't be afraid to upgrade your air units and add another Stargate.
Edited by PapaToss on 26/11/2010 17:56 GMT
Reply Quote
With people that are having trouble with zerg, my nooby platinum advice is open with some sort of stargate play.

This has made me transition lately in all of my zerg games from getting absolutely ROLLED to NEARLY killing him but then getting overwhelmed ._.
Reply Quote
@PapaToss, When I was still diamond I usually did a 1gate SG vs the roachrush. most of the time I won wi that after a direct counter to the initial roaches. But I feel currently Voidrays don`t deal enough dmg vs roaches. It takes ages to kill only 1 roach with a void... So actually I prefer a robo with an immortal and observer.

worst problem of both SG and RF is that if he buids 8 roaches and about 10 lings... this is a 1050 army, 200gas and 850min (and 100-100 more with speed!) and will beat a massive force from protos. 6 stalkers and 3 zealots is 1350 is more expensive and will get decimated. Certainly if the lings get microed to attack the stalkers.
Reply Quote
Welcome to the sticky bonanza! and congrats!
Reply Quote
I suppose I can just ask it here: I don't really know what to do if a zerg has built 6+ corruptors to destroy my colossi. Void rays are quite effective against small groups of corruptors, but if he has a fair number already, it is difficult to have enough time to pump large grous of them.
When corruptors had energy, high templars were the obvious choice for storm + feedback, but now I'm quite reluctant to let the corruptors live, since the zerg is bound to turn them into brood lords if they have nothing to attack.
Any advise on what to do at this point? High templars, lot of void rays, stalkers+blink?
Reply Quote
MVP
I suppose I can just ask it here: I don't really know what to do if a zerg has built 6+ corruptors to destroy my colossi. Void rays are quite effective against small groups of corruptors, but if he has a fair number already, it is difficult to have enough time to pump large grous of them.
When corruptors had energy, high templars were the obvious choice for storm + feedback, but now I'm quite reluctant to let the corruptors live, since the zerg is bound to turn them into brood lords if they have nothing to attack.
Any advise on what to do at this point? High templars, lot of void rays, stalkers+blink?

At this point, it all depends on whether you have enough stuff to transition or not. Also, stalkers, until the Corruptors reach a really high amount. Tech Blink for them ASAP, so that you can kill any stray corruptors or just simply get in a better position.

Have you spent so much into Colossi that you cannot transition out of it? And you need to continue pooling all your resources into forces to stand a chance in the confrontations? Then you're in a tough spot. Try to protect your Colossi best you can, lose as few as possible. (This is provided you have no other high tech - only Gateway units). As mentioned, tech Blink. You can get Void Rays if you want to compete for air, but they're very weak against Hydras. One thing you can do however without spending too much resources and without having to tech - is to Hallucinate extra Colossi. The Corruptors will distribute their attacks between the real and Hallucinated Colossi, lowering the damage your Colossi receive significantly, and increasing the damage they're able to live (since they live longer, obviously).
If you can tech switch, you can simply switch up your entire army composition. It can be tough to do this from any less than 3 bases - but Archons/HT is very strong. If his Corruptor count goes low, you can get extra Colossi - or just keep hallucinating Colossi so that he can never be sure whether you actually have them or not.
Again, Blink Stalkers are important to have, try to get a good position and snipe Broodlords if they come out - they do die very fast.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the input! Never thought about Hallucination, sounds helpful for some of the situations I encounter. I'll try that when I have the opportunity.
Reply Quote
Hi PapaToss,

in your opinion do you think that Blizzard should give colossus the cloak ability to help balance protoss?
Reply Quote
No. Just no. The Colossi are already far too powerful (in comparison to other Protoss units) and Protoss rush to reach them. By the time you have Colossi, your opponent will have detection. They shouldn't have blink, either, to pre-empt that little suggestion.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]