The evolutionary matrix of the caterpillar-like herbivorous Slothien was supercharged by the original Overmind, who twisted the hapless creatures into nightmarish killers known as Hydralisks. Within the plates of their carapaces, Hydralisks house hundreds of armor-piercing spines that can be fired in volleys at enemies approaching from ground or air. The remarkable musculature of the Hydralisk (4,000 muscles compared to a Terran’s 629) can launch a Needle Spine at astounding speeds, easily penetrating 2 centimeters of solid neosteel even at maximum range. Under any circumstances, massed groups of Hydralisks should be approached with extreme caution, and preferably with Siege Tank support.
- High-damage ranged unit.
- Able to attack air and ground units.
- Best paired with other unit types to protect their high damage output from enemies.
- Can improve attack range with Grooved Spines upgrade.
- Can burrow with Burrow upgrade.
- Can improve movement speed off of creep with the Muscular Augments upgrade.
- Effective at attacking air units when grouped in large numbers.
- Burrow: Allows the unit to take cover underground, rendering it unable to attack. A burrowed unit is invisible unless revealed by detectors or effects.
- Grooved Spines: Increases hydralisk range by 1.
- Muscular Augments: Increases hydralisk movement speed when off of creep.
- Use vehicles such as Siege Tanks in Siege Mode to attack Hydralisks from range. Siege Tanks are especially effective when Hydralisks are grouped which can give you the opportunity to eliminate multiple Hydralisks at once.
- Hellions with upgrades kill Hydralisks quickly. Make sure to approach the Hydralisk pack to maximize on the splash damage.
- Swarms of upgraded Zerglings are able to swiftly surround and destroy individual Hydralisks; similarly, Banelings get a significant boost to their detonation damage against Hydralisks.
- Roaches’ armor and health pools allow them to efficiently defeat Hydralisks.
- Use Sentries equipped with the “Guardian Shield” ability to significantly reduce damage to your units when faced with large groups of Hydralisks.
- The High Templar’s “Psi Storm” ability is extremely effective against stationary Hydralisks.
- Zealots have the ability to cheaply soak up a large amount of damage from Hydralisks, while dealing a fair amount back. Research Charge to make sure Hydralisks can’t kite.
- Colossus splash damage also destroys Hydralisk swarms.
* Requires Heart of the Swarm expansion pack