Merged AH a feature of Warlords Alliance and Horde

90 Blood Elf Mage
I would rather have same faction AHs 'crossrealmed' than this, but it's fine anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
    you serious? get even more undercut now ? farm it up for what ? stuff will still cost 100 milion coins
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
This will be welcome on the realms where there is a population disbalance between the factions.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
01/07/2014 12:37Posted by Tollar
01/07/2014 12:27Posted by Consecra

By whom then? All the income from the AH goes straight in to their pockets.

While the AH in Orgrimmar is controlled by Goblins it's safe to assume Bilgewater there. The others are manned by the race where they are located. It's all merely an auction site for citizen's goods. Not some grand Goblin cartel operation.

You do know Bilgewater IS a cartel? :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I think this change is driven by complainers on realms dominated by one faction. It doesn't really make sense lorewise unless another race or maybe a new faction comes in and takes over all the AHs.

If you have ever tried to transfer goods to the other faction, prepare to have them sniped a lot more in WoD unless you do it at 4am.

Will they also change it so you can buy your own auctions?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I might be happy if I blizz actually did something against the ah botters on both sides. :p Fair competition is fair, but botters? Meh. Doesn't seem to work like reporting a gathering bot, while they essentially have little impact on the economy as whole, unlike ah bots.

And the alliance prices on my server kinda blow, way too often below the craft prices, they are. :/
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
01/07/2014 11:48Posted by Gryzemuis
Not sure this is a good idea.

Did the team ever look at other MMOs ? I recall playing a few MMOs where the crowd using one AH was huge. I think in Guild Wars 2, all European servers had one shared Auction House. In Age of Conan all European servers shared the capital as their central hub, and thus the AH was shared amongst all servers too. I think I've seen it in Vanguard too (when people actually played it in its first month).

The result can be predicted.
Huge supply of all things on the AH.
Also a big demand of course. But never as big. And certainly the supply and demand are never exactly the same at the same time.

Result on a current WoW server: there are sometimes 5 of the same expensive things on the AH. Or 10 or 100 of the same cheap things. Sometimes 1 or none.

Result on an Auction House with a huge customer-base ? Always dozens of the same thing for sale. Often hundreds even.

This will drive prices down. Which can be good. Nobody likes it when others manipulate the AH. Or ask ridiculous prices because lack of supply. Especially on low-pop servers. But if the customer-base of the AH becomes too big, prices will drop down astronomically fast. And they will drop down to vendor prices. Because some people will think "I can never get my stuff sold on the AH, unless I cancel&repost every minute. so what do I care ? I'll post it for vendor price". This did happen in many games I played. This will happen in WoW too. If the customer-base grows large enough.

Just linking Alliance and Horde side might not trigger this. Not on low-pop servers, or unbalanced servers. But if the trend continues, and different servers' AHs get linked, this will become a problem. When you can only sell at the AH for vendor-price, then the AH will lose its function. Like so many mechanics in this game have already been destroyed.

I hope you looked at other MMO's also cause in Rift they did exactly the same as blizzard plans now in wow. It was to solve the availability, or lack of, of mats etc on imbalanced servers. This worked out very well and made the whole community go well again.

I just wish they did it next week instead of when WoD comes.
Edited by Shioban on 01/07/2014 13:31 BST
Reply Quote
1 Human Priest
Omg i had a great idea ill buy stuff thats cheap on the ally side and sell it more expensive to the horde side and vice versa xD
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
01/07/2014 13:30Posted by Shioban
It was to solve the availability, or lack of, of mats etc on imbalanced servers. This worked out very well and made the whole community go well again.

Yes, I understand how it can help on unbalanced servers.

But in general, I don't think it's a good idea to have huge AH-communities.
Because in the end, the AH will just be another NPC vendor where you buy and sell everything as if they were grey items, for vendor price.

I rather see Blizzard really fix population problems. Right now, they make a cashload by selling server-migration for hefty prices. Imho this should be a service that comes with paying my subscription-money. Asking money to fix problems introduced by Blizzard's inability to fix their own game seems doubly unfair. Personally I refuse to pay a cent more than the subsription money. For anything. But unfortunately there are way too many people who encourage Blizzard's upper-management to act like thieves. Because the customer-base lets them.

Just merge servers, Blizzard. People will deal with losing some character-names. Create servers with huge populations, as huge as battle-groups. Introduce some mechanic to spread people over cities (e.g. all prices and services are 20% more cheaper in your race's hometown). And use parallel zones during the first week of a new expansion pack. When you do that, you can have a zillion players on each server. And then make server-migration free. Maybe limit it to once per month, or once per 6 months. But get rid of the current scam to make a few extra bucks in the short-term. In the long run, you'll lose more subscriptions than you make transfer-money. And it makes you look better.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
That's a very good change. I hope in the future we will be able to send mail to our alts on the regardless of Faction since the problem until now was to not mesh the economies..It will also help with faction imbalances since it will be easier to roll a character of the opposite Faction if you can share with him everything you have.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
01/07/2014 13:30Posted by Shioban
It was to solve the availability, or lack of, of mats etc on imbalanced servers. This worked out very well and made the whole community go well again.

Yes, I understand how it can help on unbalanced servers.

But in general, I don't think it's a good idea to have huge AH-communities.
Because in the end, the AH will just be another NPC vendor where you buy and sell everything as if they were grey items, for vendor price.

cut

The blue post states that they are linking them on "a given server" to me that means they will link them in an intelligent way and not the way you fear they will. I'm quite confident they will take population into consideration when they start linking.

And yes about the server's populations i think ur right but having mats available on dead sides is like a lot of relieve.
Reply Quote
Community
Brace yourselves!

All kidding aside, I think this is quite a good change, especially because it counteracts one of the most negative effects about faction imbalance.
Having said this, I do understand some of the concerns, especially lore and narrative wise, and will try to clarify that with the devs.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Lore wise it actually makes a lot of sense.

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

OK, Horde and Ally aren't friends, but they still want Azeroth intact, so it makes sense that they would work together somewhat whilst still hating each other.

You can't just forget years of war, but if a greater threat emerges, it's understandable to pool resources until the threat it over.
Reply Quote
29 Gnome Warlock
I share some of Gryzemuis' concerns, and Lore-wise...it's rather iffy. That being I said, I can see why they do it.

I also hope that:

- this will mean we finally are able to send goods and gold to at least our own characters irrespective of Faction.

It never made sense we could aid the opposing Faction with high-grade, highly-Enchanted superweapons in slaughtering our own Faction (Heirlooms, fully useable in regular PvP for some stupid reason), but a simple care-package for Winter Veil (as was allowed even at e.g. the heights of WWI and II) ...nope, verboten.

Also, besides the practical issues concerning sending goods to your alts (with the full population present, transferring them by AH will become waaaaay more risky), 'dead Faction' characters need coin to participate in the shared economy or else the 'dead Faction' economy will simply vanish, ursurped by the bigger one.

- the Neutral Auction Houses will get a new function, say become Black Market hubs, with the Black Market selling way more (and at far more reasonable prices) Removed Gear and Recipes and perhaps (former) CCG Loot , to become a more efficient goldsink (and boy will we need one, without Reforging and far less Enhanceable slots)

I've always loved 'the Green Grease of Azeroth', and it would be a pity if the Steamwheedles (who should be the Neutral race, not Panda's, just saying) would descend into even greater obscurity

01/07/2014 14:47Posted by Taepsilum
Having said this, I do understand some of the concerns, especially lore and narrative wise, and will try to clarify that with the devs.

*A Blue! quick, get your Pet Traps!*
Edited by Anvarra on 01/07/2014 15:04 BST
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
As long as the 2 factions remain separated in every other aspect, I'm cool with it. The goblins running the AH will have to scan the goods properly for poison and sharp items though...
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
This would be of massive help on a Realm like TH,
Its impossible to find even basic items outside the profs you have.
Nothing sells but the horde side is pretty healthy
I see this a massive positive
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
To be honest I think the best way of explaining it lore-wise would be to have one of the neutral factions deal under the table so to speak.

Not a great explanation but not sure how else you could make it plausible.

That aside I think its a great change.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
01/07/2014 14:47Posted by Taepsilum
[url="http://i.imgur.com/8ZcFRPQ.jpg"]Brace yourselves! [/url]

All kidding aside, I think this is quite a good change, especially because it counteracts one of the most negative effects about faction imbalance.

could you please give us info if in the future we will be able to send mail with gold/materials to our alts even if they are on the different Faction? I think it will also help to the faction imbalance since it will be easier to decide to roll a char of the opposite Faction :) Please inform the Devs about it and any info you could share would appreciated.

EDIT: On topic, if you check human history in every war there were always the same Banks that gave loans to both sides of war, meaning that economy has no nation or "faction". It perfectly make sense
Edited by Cuishle on 01/07/2014 15:25 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
lol, amazing! +1
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warlock
This won't do much on low pop realms.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]