Sending Heirlooms Across Realms

(Locked)

80 Night Elf Druid
20/01/2011 9:24 AMPosted by Corripio
What you mean the issue of people not having the ability to come to terms with the fact that they were wrong about the mechanic of an item in game?

I think it will take more than a few bumps to sort those peoples problems out :)

Fact is still that blizz at some point at least "wanted" to implement it cross realm.

Now hearing at least a blue that tells he hasn't heard from that topic in a while from the official side sounds at least somewhat better than standing in complete darkness.
90 Night Elf Rogue
Yes they may want to in the future, after people kept suggesting it, but that has no bearing on the name as it is. They had no original intention of doing it, and they have simply said they are looking into it, or may consider it, this is in no way saying that it will happen or that they ever intended it to be an option.

So your fact is not actually a fact at all.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
havent read through the posts properly but they should just implement it as every alt you start has all the BOA sent to them and you pick and choose etc
80 Night Elf Druid
Yes they may want to in the future, after people kept suggesting it, but that has no bearing on the name as it is. They had no original intention of doing it, and they have simply said they are looking into it, or may consider it, this is in no way saying that it will happen or that they ever intended it to be an option.

So your fact is not actually a fact at all.

Q. Are there any plans to implement cross-faction/cross-realm mail(for BoA gear and such)?

A. We have cross-faction mail for BoA items now; cross-realm is a work in progress, but we hope to have it done "soon."

source: http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/02/26/wow-developer-twitter-chat-transcript-sorted-by-category/

Please research your facts before trying to invalid my facts.
Right now "Bound to Account" means "bound to WoW account", not "Bound to Battle.Net account". What I'm really interested in, more than sending heirlooms between realms, would be to be able to send them between different WoW accounts that are part of the same Battle.net account.

For those alt-o-holics like me that have multiple wow accounts, that would be a real boon, not having to acquire heirlooms on each sub-account separately...
2 Gnome Priest
Only reason for it is not implemented, because it would require operation to transfer data between 2 databases, which is not as easy as sending things to your char in same realm

Any idea how much money Blizzard make from server transfers? At £15 per character, a lot.

Any idea how many people put heirlooms onto a mule just to pay to transfer that mule to a new server because they're sick of their own? A lot.

Blizzard is a business, there is clearly a huge incentive for them to charge you for transferring heirlooms across realm.

There is no technical reason why you can't transfer heirlooms, not a valid one. They own the servers, they own the databases, they own everything. Whenever you create a new character, you get a pet waiting for you in the mailbox, why not heirlooms? Just have the heirlooms waiting for you in the mailbox, who cares if they're duplicates, it's not like you can sell them or get extra damage because you have two chests.

Don't think of heirlooms as items, they're just numbers the same as anything else. There's nothing to stop Blizzard changing the way heirlooms work and instead of them being items, they just get flagged to your account. So let's say, instead of items in your bag, they're treated more like account flags, you access them using a button on your character sheet. You can then choose to invoke the flag (equip the item) or not, a bit like dragging glyphs from the list to the circle.

They don't even have to be items at all, why should you need to wear items to get the benefit? Wearing the same heirloom chest and shoulders, etc, everytime is boring. May as well just make heirlooms work similar to glyphs.

With all these things, there's nothing to stop Blizzard making them work cross-realm but if they did that, they would lose all the revenue from server transfers. A lot less people would transfer realm because with account bound heirlooms they would just level up again. And nobody would pay for mule character transfers. I paid for a realm transfer recently because I wanted to move my heirlooms, if Blizzard offered me the service free, I wouldn't have paid. And that's about the 10th time I've done it, and I'm just one single player.

So from a pure business sense, it's not going to happen. After everything Blizzard has done to create the miraculous and amazing game of Wow, I don't believe technical issues prevent me from using an item on another realm. I can even go to a website, type my credit card number in and buy a mount to use in game, technical issues didn't prevent that, did they?

Come on, be realistic.
85 Draenei Shaman
I think one of the issues is the fact that if you search my name, or anyone's name who's posted (using them as an example) on the armory, you'll see at least 3 people with that name.

But on the other hand, if it is Bind on Account, I don't see why a system couldn't be put in that finds the character with that name on your account... But then again, what if you have 2 characters (different realms) with the same name?

See the arguments?

Giving you a list populated by your characters([name]-[realm name]) that you can select to send mail to would be sufficient, I think. Blizz already does this with realm/faction changing. However, I don't think they list any sub level 10 characters, although I stand to be corrected.
Call me crazy, hell do whatever you want to what I'm about to say but.

With heirloom items being titled as:

A: Bind on Account

and when you've equipped them.

B: Account Bound.

And we get Game Masters comming along saying we have no right to ask them to transfer the heirlooms for us? I'm sorry but we're the ones who help pay their wages from this. Not to mention with the heirlooms being account bound and only allowed on the server they where bought from 'less we Character Transfer. Is technically False Advertising. Which could lead to a lot of trouble in the end no? Digitally purchased item in a game or not, we pay for the game, meaning we pay for the right to have these items do what they say and technically advertise, which then loops round in one big circle to false advertising.

The senile Troll - Gram'pah

Small edit:- Also with the battle.net implimention it is now easier at least a hundred times to locate our own characters with similar names, then again, I know only of two Grampahs...Both me.
Edited by Grampah on 22/01/2011 09:01 GMT
85 Draenei Shaman
Gramps, good point.

Yea, if it SAYS account bound, then it should BE account bound.

Seriously, they should rename it to realm bound and enable you to trade it to realID friends as well, if they aren't going to make it transferable.
85 Night Elf Druid
OH MY GOD. You people don't understand! Yes they're most likely looking in to a way of trading them cross-realm but calling them Bind to account and not allowing that is in no way "flase advertising" or some bull@@!* - it just means you can't trade it to a character on your account - that's ALL it means - it doesn't mean that you can trade it to every character on your account - no items can be traded cross-realm...
85 Draenei Shaman
You people don't understand

"Binds to account".

What exactly is it we don't understand? Please do tell?

no items can be traded cross-realm

Yes, and a few years ago, no characters could be transfered, or faction changed.
A few months ago, you couldn't use your flying mount in Azeroth.

See where I'm going with this??
Community
After a bit of investigation, it seems that though sending heirlooms across realms might well be something we'd like to consider doing at some point, there's currently no immediate plans to make the necessary changes to allow this to be possible.

This is not, as some claim in this thread, because we're wanting to encourage people to use paid Character Transfers to be able to transfer heirlooms to characters on other realms. It's unfortunate that this remains the only way players can achieve this and we would like to look into possibly changing this once priorities and schedules allow.

In the meantime, however, the generally reasonable length of time needed to level up through the newly remade lower level zones (especially if combined with guild perks and the extra experience boost you can get from running through dungeons as well) should be more than sufficient to get your characters on other realms to a higher level without an unreasonable investment of time, and probably also with a decent portion of fun.
81 Undead Mage
Can you send BoEs cross realm?

They haven't been equipped, so why can't you sent them cross realm?

The issue is not as black and white as it first appears, besides given the logical and organised way of leveling nowadays, are heirlooms really as effective as they were?

If you want an xp boost, you can join a guild for the perks and more - I'd even go as far to say Blizzard might phase out heirlooms altogether, their time has past.
85 Human Hunter
Easy fix, but blizzard is lazy.

If you buy a pet on blizzard store, it gets auto sent to all your chars wherever and whenever you might create one under the same account you purchased it with.

Now is it that hard to do the same for heirlooms?

(And don't tell me, but then you have duplicates of all heirlooms, multiple times) Well that can get fixed by automated command that only sends all your heirlooms to the first char on that realm.
26/01/2011 12:38 PMPosted by Wryxian
After a bit of investigation, it seems that though sending heirlooms across realms might well be something we'd like to consider doing at some point, there's currently no immediate plans to make the necessary changes to allow this to be possible.

While at it, could you also extend "Bind on Account" to all WoW accounts linked to your battle.net account in the same region?

I have two accounts and would like to send Heirlooms to chars (who even are on the same realm) on my other account. :)
100 Orc Warrior

This is not, as some claim in this thread, because we're wanting to encourage people to use paid Character Transfers to be able to transfer heirlooms to characters on other realms. It's unfortunate that this remains the only way players can achieve this and we would like to look into possibly changing this once priorities and schedules allow.

In the meantime, however, the generally reasonable length of time needed to level up through the newly remade lower level zones (especially if combined with guild perks and the extra experience boost you can get from running through dungeons as well) should be more than sufficient to get your characters on other realms to a higher level without an unreasonable investment of time, and probably also with a decent portion of fun.

I made a suggestion some time ago about a bank tab that holds BoA items ONLY. That would mean any character would have access to this bank tab on the account and thus the BoA items. Yes, it would mean that a new character on a new realm would need to make it to a bank to gain access to the items but at least they would be available.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
26/01/2011 1:31 PMPosted by Eon

I made a suggestion some time ago about a bank tab that holds BoA items ONLY. That would mean any character would have access to this bank tab on the account and thus the BoA items. Yes, it would mean that a new character on a new realm would need to make it to a bank to gain access to the items but at least they would be available.

This!
90 Blood Elf Paladin

More or less true until lvl 60 and after 80. But leveling through the not revamped content is somewhat more painful.
Not all things that are bind-to-account are heirlooms or used for levelling. The reason I say this is that, yes, I agree that it's no great hardship to level without heirlooms these days but one item I really miss from my old realm is my Gurky pet which was only able to be added on a single realm at the time (which makes so little sense /sigh) =( I miss my wee pink murgleurghl-er.

It would be nice to see this happen sooner rather than later. Moving to a new server and changing characters was wrenching enough, but to have a lot of my vanity pets left behind really sucked =<
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]