"Best" PvE DPS Class [?]

85 Tauren Paladin
Howdy.

I've been playing since 2006, yet my only Level-Capped Character, has always been my Paladin. (60, 70, 80, 85). I alwayed enjoyed it, even while getting Nerfs, and buffs, and nerfs, and (You get my point).

ATM. I have both PvP and PvE gear, both as Prot and Ret.
So what I am looking for, is something different.. For PvE(!) purposes ONLY.

I know you can't ask for which class does the most DPS, as it really rely's on the player, and the rotation.. Say I know where to read/check out most information about every class, who would do the best? I will be raiding early-Cataclysm content, but mostly heroics.

What I thought I would be looking for was a Spell/Ranged, due to having played Melee for years.. But I tried out a Fury Warrior on PTR, and I found that quite interresting actually.. I also have a 65(64?) Frost Mage which I also enjoy, but don't let this change your opinion.

I would also love if you would take the upcomming patch-notes in mind.. :o))

Thanks in forehand!

Kraziuaz

TLDR; Which class is topping most DPS, but still has a fun rotation, in Early-Cataclysm Raid-content and Heroics? (PvE-Only!)
Edited by Kraziuaz on 12/01/2011 08:46 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
So...

There's absolutely no one?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Roll Unholy dk.
There good at pve (top dps charts)
in pvp and they have no real weaknesses
similar to ret so not much difference (just the pet)
what could go wrong ;)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Good classes in PvE setting:

- Unholy DK
- Survival Hunter
- Combat Rogue
- Fire Mage
- Destro Lock

Note that warlocks scale better with gear, so on higher iLvls locks are going to get higher DPS than mages.
Reply Quote
13/01/2011 12:16 PMPosted by Warriorista

- Unholy DK
- Survival Hunter
- Combat Rogue
- Fire Mage
- Destro Lock

Note that warlocks scale better with gear, so on higher iLvls locks are going to get higher DPS than mages.

On low ilvl locks also do better dps than mages

anyways for the OP
atm best dps classes are hunters, dk's and locks followed by feral druids,rogues, enh shamans and moonkins.

Patch doesn't really seem to change that much except that feral druids are getting heavy nerfs.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
And hunters getting nerfed, and dk's getting nerfed, and enhance are getting nerfed (although not obvious, their attempt to make FT/FT unviable is a nerf to our dps.
Reply Quote
7 Gnome Mage
- Fire Mage

that warlocks scale better with gear, so on higher iLvls locks are going to get higher DPS than mages.

I hope that you are joking.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
only way a Fire mage would beat any type of specced Lock in a PvE encounter is if theres multiple adds and he gets LUCKY with critts for his combustion. Fire is pretty much crap single target, we'd rather bring another moonkin or lock instead.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
http://stateofdps.com/index.php?raid=25N&samples=200&spec[]=dps
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Thanks a lot for all the positive answers.

I will be trying out a Survival Hunt(ard)er :o)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
13/01/2011 12:26 PMPosted by Bielz
anyways for the OP
atm best dps classes are hunters, dk's and locks followed by feral druids,rogues, enh shamans and moonkins.

Patch doesn't really seem to change that much except that feral druids are getting heavy nerfs.

I fail to see how people keep mentioning moonkins and ferals as "best dpsers". Data mining sites clearly shows that every pure have at least 1 spec ahead of both of these.

Considering the fact those lists are made from thousands of logs and only top x of each class is selected for each boss, I'd guess both skill and luck factors are already solved.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
13/01/2011 7:54 PMPosted by Raiju
And hunters getting nerfed, and dk's getting nerfed, and enhance are getting nerfed (although not obvious, their attempt to make FT/FT unviable is a nerf to our dps.

We are getting buffed actually.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warrior
How extremely typical of a DPS to think that 'highest DPS' matters these days.

There's an experiment with cats and dogs trying to reach a bowl of food, but they're seperated by a glass wall which has two sides adjacent to the pet. The fastest way to the food is moving away from it, but cats will just try to get over the glass or through it. 'Moving away from the goal' isn't the kind of logic that works.

I see plenty of DPS who are just like the cats - seemingly the OP is like one too. In quite the amount of situations, INTERRUPTING your rotation is key to your continued damage dealt, in terms of CC and interrupts on the target. Even moving will quite often save your butt and numbers.

Apparently it's pretty hard to understand the concept of 'a dead dps does zero dps'.

PS: The best DPS is the one who survives and contributes to the group/raid.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
I like my hunter.
Apart from doing nice DPS, we bring excellent utility to a raid/group.
We have some nice CC abilities, we can kite mobs and manage threat in interesting ways. There also doesn't tend to be much competition with other classes for gear.

More info here :-)
http://wow.joystiq.com/2011/01/13/scattered-shots-why-hunters-are-better-than-every-other-class/

Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
14/01/2011 1:03 PMPosted by Charleston

There's an experiment with cats and dogs trying to reach a bowl of food, but they're seperated by a glass wall which has two sides adjacent to the pet. The fastest way to the food is moving away from it, but cats will just try to get over the glass or through it. 'Moving away from the goal' isn't the kind of logic that works.

I see plenty of DPS who are just like the cats - seemingly the OP is like one too. In quite the amount of situations, INTERRUPTING your rotation is key to your continued damage dealt, in terms of CC and interrupts on the target. Even moving will quite often save your butt and numbers.

Apparently it's pretty hard to understand the concept of 'a dead dps does zero dps'.

Ignore everything written here, there is nothing wrong with wanting to play a DPS class that can do good DPS, this guy likes to assume things.
Edited by Khronics on 14/01/2011 14:18 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
Go warlock, Survival is getting nerfed from overpowered to balanced.

Bwaaaah
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
anyways for the OP

Locks and hunters are seeing some fairly heavy nerfs, and feral isn't getting nerfed as such we're just getting our dps shifted around our attacks more so we're not as heavily reliant on Bleeds and get more burst....all for PvP reasons as far as druids go though!

In fairness, straight up dps-races locks will usually win out, but in an ideal player scenario they won't get to this as they shoudl be helping out on group utility. Mages can still output some good numbers but have a lot of group saving abilities for CC and interrupting! I'd prefer a 10k mage along who knows how to interrupt than a 12k warlock who doesn't!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
14/01/2011 12:54 PMPosted by Selectable

We are getting buffed actually.

It isn't actually, it's now. Patch notes change by the day.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Asking about best PvE class is pointless at any state of the game because:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/859358482

I might add that class/spec being "fun" i highly subjective and might not reflect in someone else's gameplay.

Topics like this only lead to endless and pointless arguments about why this class does more dps than the other and how everyone is wrong. Sure, you can discuss it but mind this - in a month or 2 it will mean nothing anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
14/01/2011 1:03 PMPosted by Charleston

It's a biased test. Both animals would discover by CHANCE that going away from the food gets them closer, and then once they know that they would repeat their action.

It's exactly the same as the Skinner box, where animals were taught to use a lever to either receive food, or not use it so they don't receive and electric shock.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]