Item level too low for Cata Dungeons

85 Gnome Mage
I like Dungeons but I can't access the Cata Dungeons it just states I don't meet the requirements and my item levels are too low. Of course it doesn't tell me what I need to be, so I have no idea how far off I am. Anybody know the minimum requirements? My average item level is low 200 at the moment, is that low for my current level? (Total Noob)

What is the best way to go about getting better gear? Do I need better gear or do I need enchantments or something? Overall not sure what to do for the best. Focus on building up honour/justice points, grinding for faction recognition, playing Lich King heroic Dungeons, buying gear or a combination of everything :).

Any help much appreciated.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Yes way to low... how did you get too 82? Ilvl of quest rewards is 272-277? I would sugest you get the tailoring pieces for level 80-81. it's a full set and would drasticly improve all your stats. or start questing in the new zones asap
Reply Quote
Hey Togar :)

I believe I wrote on one of your posts about where you should level, and if you should continue to the Cataclysm zones. You are having a hard time joining Cataclysm dungeons because you have not been leveling in those zones, so you do not have good enough equipment.

The link for the post is here: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1549440145#4

I've also written a guide for leveling from 80 to 85 that explains more about why you should continue to cataclysm areas, here: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1549673974

Also, do not buy equipment from the auction house, or enchant what you have. Just continue to the new areas and you will quickly get a new set.
Edited by Lohki on 25/01/2011 13:08 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
Thanks for the advice. Not sure how I got to 82, being a noob everything is a bit of a blur. Think it was probably down to Dungeons and Herb gathering. Only in Northend at the moment, Storm Peaks, but sort of following the story line through and I seem to have out-levelled my zones a bit :).
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'd go to Vash'ir or mount Hijal to get quest rewards from itemlevel 270-ish. That will help you to get to the 232(?) average needed for blackrock caverns.

To go there, you can take the quests from the warchief's command board in any major city. This will direct you to Ogrimmar anyhow, so you can best go there.

Vash'ir sends you off from the orgrimmar docks, while Hijal sends you off to moonglade through a portal from Ogrimmar.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Your necklace and first ring are the only thing of Cataclysm level. Suggest you complete quest chains in Vash'ji and Hyjal to get your iLevel up to at least an average ilvl of 279.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
I am enjoying the story in Northend, in Icecrown at the moment, will I be able to catch up on it if I move to the Cata zones? So in other words go back to Northend and follow the quest lines through.

Lohki - sorry I missed your previous response to my other post, thanks for guide. I did buy some stuff to just see what impact it had (it was going cheap'ish). I saw a marked improvement in both PVE and PVP - so I see it makes sense to move to the Cata zones and get some better gear.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
You can always go back and finish questing. Also when you get to 85 the experience gained form quests will turn to gold, so you will get more gold for each completed quest.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
More gold - changing zone :)
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
25/01/2011 12:49 PMPosted by Rincmaster
Yes way to low... how did you get too 82? Ilvl of quest rewards is 272-277? I would sugest you get the tailoring pieces for level 80-81. it's a full set and would drasticly improve all your stats. or start questing in the new zones asap

One way if you're 80 and don't do any quests at all but level up say Archaeology you can get to 82-83 something no problem. I remember getting to at least 82 and only got to 225 skill, though did do some quests in the starting zones before hand.

But there is serious amount of XP gained when levelling up that profession, moreso than the others in my opinion. I'm unsure how far you can get if you levelled that up from 1-525 starting when you're freshly at 80 though.
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Warrior
25/01/2011 1:29 PMPosted by Gilrana
To go there, you can take the quests from the warchief's command board in any major city. This will direct you to Ogrimmar anyhow, so you can best go there.

Of course she means Stormwind. I wouldn't recommend going to Orgrimmar :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
wee this thread is now home of gold sellers, lol

Edit : it was removed.
Edited by Rincmaster on 27/01/2011 12:55 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
27/01/2011 9:14 AMPosted by Rincmaster
wee this thread is now home of gold sellers, lol

Not entirely sure how you came to that conclusion. They were merely advising the OP that he will be able to go back to Wrath quests and complete them after advancing through the Cata zones and he will make a decent amount of gold from quests by doing so.
Reply Quote
61 Blood Elf Warrior
27/01/2011 10:06 AMPosted by Jhuna
They were merely advising the OP that he will be able to go back to Wrath quests and complete them after advancing through the Cata zones and he will make a decent amount of gold from quests by doing so.

And that's something really useful that I didn't know. It makes me less reluctant to move on from a zone I'm enjoying because the XP rewards are rubbish.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
27/01/2011 12:46 PMPosted by Reyane
They were merely advising the OP that he will be able to go back to Wrath quests and complete them after advancing through the Cata zones and he will make a decent amount of gold from quests by doing so.

And that's something really useful that I didn't know. It makes me less reluctant to move on from a zone I'm enjoying because the XP rewards are rubbish.

Basically once you have reached level cap you are able to go back to the 'old' or lower level zones and quest there and as you will be level capped (85) and will no longer benefit from XP gains you will earn an additional percentage of gold in place of the XP.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
[quote="16225875764"]It makes me less reluctant to move on from a zone I'm enjoying because the XP rewards are rubbish.

It's worth noting, perhaps, that the XP reward for characters who've passed 80 (i.e. 80-and-1XP) is drastically reduced, also. More so than previous rewards from underlevel content.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Not sure if this has been said, but found it worth to mention:
You can find your item-level in your character tab, and you can find the item-level required for X dungeon next to the dungeon's name in the "Chose a Specific dungeon" tab.

Good luck!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]