Flying Mounts

I'm a level 60 Night Elf Mage. When I hit level 60 it told me that I'd unlocked flying mounts. When I open my spell book it tells me that Expert Riding is unlocked and it says that "you can learn to ride flying mounts from your riding trainer." I went to see Jartsam the riding trainer in Darnassus, and expert riding is not available.

I played with the filter. When I select available there is nothing available. When I select unavailable there is nothing either. When I select already know it shows me apprentice and journeyman riding; which I already know. I have tried all eight combinations too; and nothing.

Where do I need to go to learn the expert riding skill and get flying mounts?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I'm not sure where else they are, but at the flight path in SW there is the flying trainer, and the person who sells the flying mounts, up by the flightmaster.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Try Stormwind, the trainers that can learn you flying skills are usualy placed in major setlements that is often visited by players. You can also find a flying trainer in the starter town in Outland's Hellfire Penansulia, even though you need to rep grind some to get the disscounts from him.
Reply Quote
07/02/2011 10:23 PMPosted by Nikolainorsk
trainers that can learn you flying skills are usualy placed in major setlements
Darnassus is a capital city.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Priest
Yes, in stormwind at the flightmaster you can buy a gryphon and purchase expert riding, there is probably also a place for it in darnassus but i never go there :P
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Hunter
My advice would be to hit the gryphon roost in SW, just to the left of the guy you get 'taxi' flights from there's a trainer, and just to the right of him is the guy you can purchase your new flying mount. be aware you Must have TBC at least installed to use them though. (wish i'd known that before i did it, *dammit work why cant you pay me more*)
I looked in Darnassus first as its my favourite city, SW and ironforge Ah and bank are just too crowded and its hard to think, but i dont think its available there for some reason.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
There's a Flying Trainer somewhere in Stormwind, and in Honor Hold, Hellfire Penninsula (beside where you land when you come from the Dark Portal).

For Horde it's on the Zeppelin Plateau in Orgrimmar and in the stables in Thrallmar
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Do you have The Burning Crusade expansion pack? It almost sounds like that's the problem.

Any riding trainer should be able to learn you the flying skill for 250 gold at level 60. As for buying the mounts, I wouldn't know of another place than Honor Hold, but I didn't check that after the Cataclysm changes :P
Reply Quote
08/02/2011 6:44 AMPosted by Purnissa
Do you have The Burning Crusade expansion pack? It almost sounds like that's the problem.

I have both TBC and WoTLK. I found a flight trainer. He's next to the flight master is SW, Luckily I'm able to teleport so I was there in a few seconds. I bought the ability to fly, then went to the other side of the flight master where a lady's selling flying mounts; so I bought one of those.

Sadly it still didn't work. It turns out that you can only fly in Outlands at level 60. To fly elsewhere you need to learn cold weather flying which is available at level 68. I'm quite annoyed by that. It didn't tell me anywhere that there was a limitation. So I spent over 50g on a talent and a mount that I can't use for another eight levels!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
You need Cata to be able to fly in Kalimdor/Eastern Kingdoms at level 60. Otherwise it's only Outland, but as you're level 60 you should be questing there anyway.

Cold weather flying is only needed for northrend.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You're spot-on: you can fly throughout all of outland by now. This is a huge benefit!

If you buy the cataclysm expansion, you can also buy the azeroth flying license for a couple of hundred gold. That will allow you to fly in stormwind and darnassus as early as level 60.

From level 68 onwards, you can buy cold weather flying to fly in northrend. This is also the exact level you need to go there.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
You need Cata installed, and then you can buy a certificate to fly in Azeroth at lvl 60. The certificate can be bought from the same flight trainer as you bought your expert flying skill.
Reply Quote
08/02/2011 3:44 PMPosted by Meirah
Otherwise it's only Outland, but as you're level 60 you should be questing there anyway.

I only just hit level 60 last night so I haven't had time to go to Outland. How do I get there? Is that the red portal on the second floor of the Mages' tower in Stormwind?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
08/02/2011 3:54 PMPosted by Magísimo
I only just hit level 60 last night so I haven't had time to go to Outland. How do I get there? Is that the red portal on the second floor of the Mages' tower in Stormwind?

Yes, there is the portal in the Mage's Tower to the Blasted Lands (there is also the same portal in the temple in Darnassus). Go through the portal to the blasted lands, and you'll find yourself almost right in front of the portal to Outland (giant green thing of weirdy coolness).

There should be a Hero's Call quest for Outland at one of the call boards, too!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
trainers that can learn you flying skills are usualy placed in major setlements
Darnassus is a capital city.

Yes, but Flight Trainers are in Stormwind, Honor Hold and Dalaran. :p
Edited by Vholka on 09/02/2011 04:17 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Outland is really fun to do the first time. Just go to the blasted lands through the portal. Alternatively, you can go to the blasted lands via deadwind pass and the swamp of sorrows.

When in the blasted lands venture towards the dark portal. (it's huge, you can't miss it) You can find it in the southwestern part of the blasted lands inside a huge crater.

Take the quest from the questgiver in front of the dark portal and travel through it. Note that you can only do this when you're level 57+ and have the burning crusade expansion installed.

As soon as you're there, you will be on the shattered world of Draenor. there a complete new adventure awaits you, that has little to do with deathwing and the shattering but focusees on the dranei and blood elves instead.

The main capital in outland is the city of Shattrath, a city shared by horde and alliance alike. Nowadays, Shattrath is a bit deserted as many of the high-level characters walk around in stormwind/ogrimmar instead. It's a nice place to see and i definately advise to go there sometime and take a nice look around.
Reply Quote
79 Worgen Druid
08/02/2011 3:48 PMPosted by Grob
You need Cata installed, and then you can buy a certificate to fly in Azeroth at lvl 60. The certificate can be bought from the same flight trainer as you bought your expert flying skill.

I really think this is the best answer for what he is looking for (since he does not have Cata installed)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
09/02/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Gilrana
Outland is really fun to do the first time. Just go to the blasted lands through the portal. Alternatively, you can go to the blasted lands via deadwind pass and the swamp of sorrows.

When you go through the mage tower portal to Blasted lands, STOP!!!! and take a moment to gaze upon what stands before you>

Long before your time, the Fel Horde marched through this gate on its rampage to eliminate life on Azeroth. This is the gate sealed for centuries to keep the legions of demons at bay.

On the other side, behold the size. Outland is a lot bigger than Azeroth, and the Burning legion is here in force, and heroes like you ae needed to save the day.

Go further, and enjoy your next adventure. brave hero
Reply Quote
09/02/2011 10:53 PMPosted by Oriale
I really think this is the best answer for what he is looking for (since he does not have Cata installed)

I disagree. I'd rather level up another six levels than spend €40 on an expansion pack, and waste three hours downloading the extra data, when I might not even need it. I'm starting to get bored of the game and might not be around for much longer. Some of the quests are just mind-numbing; especially in Outland.

For example: go to this place and kill 10 of these monsters. But when you get to that place there are four different kinds of monsters mixed up; so you have to kill all of them in order not to get killed and to do the quest. Then you fly back to the quest giver who sends you back to the very same spot to kill five of another type of monster - a type that you just killed six of while trying to get the original 10. Then you go back to the quest giver and get told to go back and kill some more of another type of monster; even though you've killed 35 of them while trying to bag the first two quests.

Like I said: it's mind-numbing!

I've played dungeons but these are getting boring too. The random dungeon finder gives me one of two dungeons each time because of my level. Even if the group isn't rude, and the group isn't rubbish and doesn't wipe out; I'm still bored because it's the tenth time I've done this dungeon in two days, the bag of "useful goods" will be anything but useful and almost all of the drops will be plate, mail or leather; even though two or three of the five player dungeon party are cloth wearers (me, the healer, and possibly a Warlock).

Don't even get me started on this so-called "dungeon etiquette" (whose sole proponents on these forums seem unable to construct a sentence) which means that we all have to bend over, pull our pants down and let the tank take whatever he likes!

I've tried battle grounds but most of the Alliance teams are full of idiots that run off in every direction and think it's an "every man for himself" situation; which inevitably leads to destruction. Even if I get a good team, the opposition are wearing heirlooms and I just get turned into minced-elf. This really does bug me. Why should a player have an advantage just because he has levelled a character previously? Surely the advantage of the experience of levelling a character is enough without all the extra gear.

So yeah, sorry to go on. But this game is starting to annoy me and to bore me.
Edited by Magísimo on 11/02/2011 00:56 GMT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]