Rift sucks

(Locked)

81 Troll Shaman
Ok so there have been alot of hype around Rift lately, one say its a failure, other says its the long awaited WoW killer. So i joined the beta tests to find out myself if its any good or not, and well... IT SUCKS!

1. Quests sucks

Imagine cataclysm combined with vanilla... the linear questlines of cataclysm, and the dull kill this bring that design of vanilla. Just there is no phasing or fun quests, questing is a boring hassle and theres no other way to level up, except...

2. Rifts, aka public quests sucks

WAR already tried with public quests and they failed, but for some reason Trion Worlds decided to use that concept in their game. Perhaps they thought its a good idea just Mythic did it wrong... well they did it even worse. It goes like this, rifts pops out randomly on the map, you go there and join a public group, you kill some trash that jump out of the rift then kill a boss. Boss is tank and spank, but it takes like 5 minutes to kill it with over 30 people, i nearly fell asleep on this. Then you got a loot bag... drops some shiny crap with no clear purpose.

3. Races suck

So we have two factions, one is made of humans, elves and dwarves (not generic at all, nope), and the other one is black people, some effing na'vi and big purple troglodytes, nothing i would ever force myself to play as.

4. Class system sucks

The class system is intresting at first look, you pick one of 4 archetypes, then you pick 3 out of 7 sub-species. But it didnt took me long to realise how dumb and flawed that system is. It doesnt matter what combination you pick, because in the end you must focus on improving only one of those trees. It just gives you a false sense of customization/orginality.

Altho one pro here... BARD CLASS!

5. Lore sucks

Nvm, nobody cares about lore anyway...

6. Graphics sucks

I know graphics doesnt say if a game is good or not, but as for a 2011 game, Rift graphics are rather bad. Aion looks much better, and it was out in '09. Not to mention that models are just ugly, crappy desinged, sometimes overdetailed (you can see veins on dwarf's bald head... disgusting) and disproportionate, which is unnaceptable in photorealisitc graphics.

I wont tell you about PvP or endgame PvE cos i havent expierenced it, and im pretty sure i dont want to. Stay away from rift mon! Have a nice day.
85 Goblin Shaman
10/02/2011 12:19 AMPosted by Turret
big purple troglodytes

I laughed pretty hard at this, I must investigate.
90 Human Paladin
Yes it sucks. Certainly the Rifts, it is even some kind of a copy of the Rifts events we saw in out cities pre CATA.

After the 3rd time everyone just waited till those damned things just dissapeared remember.

Most annoying world event I ever saw, imagine this in your game every hour for as long as you play...

85 Night Elf Mage
So many fanboys :(
60 Human Paladin
5. Lore sucks

What an idiotic statement. The lore was one of the few things keeping me playing this game, until Blizzard decided to butcher it.

Honestly, people need to stop being such blatant fanboys and realise that WoW isn't all that good anymore. The main reason I'm still playing is due to having invested a fair amount in my characters, and thus I want to make the most of it until something better comes along.

...and it will, because WoW isn't going to last forever. Competition is a healthy thing, and even if Rift and the Star Wars MMO aren't my cup of tea, at the very least I hope they provide enough threat to get the WoW development team to push out quality content once again.
85 Night Elf Mage
5. Lore sucks

What an idiotic statement. The lore was one of the few things keeping me playing this game, until Blizzard decided to butcher it.

Honestly, people need to stop being such blatant fanboys and realise that WoW isn't all that good anymore. The main reason I'm still playing is due to having invested a fair amount in my characters, and thus I want to make the most of it until something better comes along.

...and it will, because WoW isn't going to last forever. Competition is a healthy thing, and even if Rift and the Star Wars MMO aren't my cup of tea, at the very least I hope they provide enough threat to get the WoW development team to push out quality content once again.

Good post! +1
81 Troll Shaman
If i was a fanboy i wouldnt be even looking at other mmos. WoW might not be perfect but its still superior to rift in every way.
85 Dwarf Warlock
10/02/2011 12:51 AMPosted by Nayte
Honestly, people need to stop being such blatant fanboys and realise that WoW isn't all that good anymore

The fanboy thing is a facile argument. He didn't even mentioned World of Warcraft at all. He just gave several reasons for why he thinks Rift is bad and will fail, all of them true.

Rift has the character of a toenail clipper. All the different races might as well be called the same thing, because I honestly couldn't tell which race I or others I saw pass were playing. The quests are boring and generic, as is the main antagonist; Regulos, a guy with absolutely zero personality.

The Rifts are a joke. They spit out some random mobs like a rushed mini-instance that doesn't actually require you to do anything but stand there and dips.

There are tons of subclasses - true. But like the races, it's all the same *@!% with a different name. The spell effects are hilariously unimaginative. Let me copy-pasta some examples. Here's the 31 or highest tier Pyromancer spell you can get

"Resets the cooldown of the Mage's Fire Spells, reduces their casting time by 50% and reduces the gloval cooldown of all spells by 0.5 seconds."

Here's the Rogue Bladedancer's 31 point talent, look familiar?

"Executes a continuous whirlwind maneuver for 6 seconds, striking up to 10 enemies with both weapons. While under the effect of Dancing Steel, the Rogue is immune to all crowd control effects"

It goes on and on. Honestly at some point I was looking over my talents and realized I didn't care what I got or when I got it, none of it appealed to me.

It's only redeeming factor is that it's polished. It's very stable and release ready, but that's not going to save it. The initial "woah! there's a lot of classes myah"-factor impressionable idiots buy into will run out within a week or two and it will limp along like so many other MMOs before it.
Thanks Turret for the heads up on this game. I'll be sure to give it a try after reading your critique of it.
Edited by Pixiekiller on 10/02/2011 01:23 GMT
85 Human Hunter
I care about lore, but atm, the lore sucks.
60 Human Paladin
No one is praising it as being anything new or groundbreaking, but at the same time WoW is hardly anything to write home about. I play for the story aspect, since my main past-time in game is roleplaying. Yet instead of interesting lore, there's countless gimmick quests and pop culture references.

Sure, they existed before, but never as glaringly obvious as now. Entire zones are driven not by an intriguing and gripping storyline, but the plot of Rambo/Indiana Jones copied and pasted. It's predictable and dull.

As for the people claiming randomly spawning rifts will be repetitive...well, how is it honestly any different from grinding the exact same dungeon/raid over and over? Or daily quests?
Edited by Nayte on 10/02/2011 01:29 GMT
100 Human Paladin
rift will do fine as a game and will have certain elements that are far superior to warcraft most new mmo's do have at least one thing that is eons ahead of it's wow counterpart.

will it kill warcraft....no i doubt it blizzards next mmo will more than likely be what kills warcraft, players know what to expect from blizzard.

sw tor will possibly depending on how well finished the release is take a chunk of wow players, permanently? i also doubt, most that go will probably sub to both games for a time and stay on one or the other, some are looking for change some may just want a change for a while.

tera online, interesting game mechanics, how they pan out and work may not suit wow players so i expect that game will get the majority of it's players from other mmo's and some from warcraft much like aion did.

star gate worlds, looks umm well i don't know could be either good or out right terrible and highly over antisapated.

no single game will fell warcraft or succeed it as the new mmo of choice many still play due to time investested rather than money the game costs, even blizzards next mmo will struggle against warcraft and they must realise this and pull out all the stops for it and ensure it launches as smooth as humanly possible or they will lose people from that if it doesn't, due to no time investment, cost of something rarely means much to an mmo players.
Edited by Orlen on 10/02/2011 01:35 GMT
12 Night Elf Druid
The fanboy thing is a facile argument. He didn't even mentioned World of Warcraft at all. He just gave several reasons for why he thinks Rift is bad and will fail, all of them true.

And who decides about truth? You? The OP?

I dont think so. After all its just an opinion nothing more, nothing less.

Take the puplic quests as an example. From my point of view they were allready awesome at warhammer and they are also very good at rift. Sure a few tweaks would be nice, but the idea and the "how to make people play together" is a milestone at MMO´s and I wish wow would offer this.
After all an MMO is about playing together and not like you might prefer to solo through the world.

Also the feature that quest npc´s move with you, is great.

Wow has 1 big advantage over all new MMO`s. It has players playing it for years and everyone will agree that you dont just leave an MMO like that, when you put so much time in it. Also a reason why so many people come to this forum and blame Blizz for "nerfings hc´s", "nerfing specs" etc. it is because people care and thats why so many come back from other MMO´s - even tho those are not worse than wow and sometimes even better at different things.
85 Tauren Death Knight
There will be a more evolved mmo one day.. maybe it will be this game..

im imagining trees where every single leaf on the tree moves indvidually as the wind blows against it
85 Human Warlock
There will be a more evolved mmo one day.. maybe it will be this game..

im imagining trees where every single leaf on the tree moves indvidually as the wind blows against it

And you'll have 20 ppl online because nobody can run it.
85 Blood Elf Paladin
10/02/2011 1:31 AMPosted by Orlen
star gate worlds, looks umm well i don't know could be either good or out right terrible and highly over antisapated.

We'll never know ... it's been canceled.
88 Worgen Hunter
5. Lore sucks

In order to be a fanboy, he needs to praise WoW. Please quote me a sentence when he does so. Thanks.
41 Worgen Priest
I remember when I started playing WoW. It was quite the first day in the EU. Alot of things did not even work, things like mining were horribly bugged yet people hung on. It was also a risky time for Blizzard because the game could have failed in those times. But it did not because there weren't many games being compared to - Everquest 1 and 2 being the biggest and longstanding competitors aside from DAoC. Now being a fanboy is fine, being blind however is not. Keep some objectivity, WoW is a good game but it can only get better *if* there is a game which can actually succeed and survive as competition. As long as there is no competition - well, remember the meteors, my little dinosaurs...
90 Undead Rogue
10/02/2011 12:34 AMPosted by Kolin
Yes it sucks. Certainly the Rifts, it is even some kind of a copy of the Rifts events we saw in out cities pre CATA.

I think u will find its totally the other way around... blizzard stole the idea off Rifts.

Rifts has been in development for a few years now and therefore clearly designed the idea first...
85 Tauren Death Knight
10/02/2011 12:19 AMPosted by Turret
photorealisitc graphics.

Not
Even
Close

Try again.

the other one is black people (...) nothing i would ever force myself to play as.

Oh snap, you've gone and done it now.
Edited by Gunzow on 10/02/2011 05:42 GMT
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]