We are also looking at nerfing Aimed Shot, but compensating hunters through Aspect of the Hawk. We are also likely to lower Arcane mage mana cost in some way, which will in turn buff their dps. These don’t have those specifics just yet, but do keep an eye on the 4.0.6 hotfix blog for these and other changes as they come through.
Please don't do this devs. For once, please listen to all the feedback players have been giving you concerning arcane. Yes, the damage on a Patchwork fight is a little low, but this is not what is causing us to do half the damage of - for example - destro warlocks, shadow priests, and other speccs currently dominating the dps charts. To repeat all the feedback it's:
1. Lack of movement dps (this will get WORSE with lower AB cost as the time spent having to cast AB will go up! We are going to get more immobile!)
2. Lack of decent AoE
3. General brittleness of the arcane spec. One false step in mana management or AB stack dropping in a burn phase due to fight mechanics (get out of the fire) is INCREDIBLY punishing to dps. I found I could hardly complete a burst phase in Ascendant Council recently, I was having to move (or interrupt) just too often - I'd end up by being at 60% mana and being able to only get off two ABs before having to move again and dropping stack. Awful, awful dps ...
Suggestions range from:
1. Make one of our main damage sources castable in movement
2. A brand new AE damage spell from distance almost certainly isn't on the cards. Arcane Explosion range increased, Blizzard (permanently) buffed by an arcane talent perhaps
3. Increase the debuff time of AB. That way I can move when I don't want to die or wipe my raid and carry on spamming AB afterwards.
I know the real show-stopper here is PvP (particulary rated BGs), but please, please don't just put a band aid on arcane mages, listen to all the feedback from the people who really play the specc and are passionate about it.