Six Years of WoW In Europe - What Do You Remember?

(Locked)

Which of these events were most memorable?

European launch (February 11 2005)
The first BlizzCon (October 2005)
Spanish version and realms (September 2006)
The South Park WoW episode (October 2006)
New forums (August 2006)
First Arena Tournament (February 2007)
Worldwide Invitational in Paris (June 2008)
Russian version and realms (August 2008)
WoW Mobile Authenticator and Armory (June-July 2009)
New community site and forums (November 2010)
ended - 18-Feb-2011
Community
Today marks the sixth anniversary of World of Warcraft's launch in Europe! Such a lot has happened since then, not only in Azeroth, but also in the community outside it.

The current player base is made up of a wide range of people, some of whom have been with us since Beta, right through to those of you who only recently picked up the game and joined us here on the forums for the first time. But we want to know, which of these events were most memorable for you? Let us know!
I liked it before you had wowhead / thottbot /allakazam etc.

We actually were exploring and had to help each other, took months to get to 60!
90 Goblin Hunter
LOL at "max 3" Not even one of those are fit for "were most memorable"
25 Undead Rogue
First days of the game six years were the most memorable
Edited by Worm on 11/02/2011 18:17 GMT
85 Dwarf Shaman
My three are:

A life

Time to play other games

Not being addicted to anything.
90 Goblin Hunter
Ok, I did chose one. Voted for the spanish thingy becourse I had to choose from the given options.

The spanish servers made a good friend which I leveled a good part with together at my first 60 toon go over there somewhere.

I didn't knew him, just ran into him somewhere at level 20 or something and we did had a great time for a warrior (me) and rogue (him).

Best part of wow altogether. The n00by part leveling up the first one :D
88 Goblin Shaman
Was there ever a Blizzcon in Europe? I don't know but i don't think so, so not worth putting up the option.

I remember when the new community site and forum came along, both times. This community site is horrible and i dont understand why you changed it from a perfectly working site and forum to this crap.
Edited by Belyr on 11/02/2011 18:29 GMT
85 Draenei Shaman
None of the above but i do remember when shaman could actually heal. shame on blizzard for destroying a great class.
85 Draenei Warrior
South Park episode made me play wow <3
85 Human Paladin
Getting my very first Epic in MC
85 Worgen Death Knight
south park episode made wow the way it is now i started playing only AFTER seeing it :)
the sword of a thousand truth was so overpowered..... so much fun now you removed it nobody draining your mana and hitting a lot oww wait priests still have drain mana oww nvm.

edit: just so you will know this is in sence of humor... my alt is a shadow/disc priest and this is my main atm so cant really QQ about that.
Edited by Talent on 11/02/2011 18:38 GMT
85 Troll Rogue
Ok, I did chose one. Voted for the spanish thingy becourse I had to choose from the given options.

The spanish servers made a good friend which I leveled a good part with together at my first 60 toon go over there somewhere.

I didn't knew him, just ran into him somewhere at level 20 or something and we did had a great time for a warrior (me) and rogue (him).

Best part of wow altogether. The n00by part leveling up the first one :D

Oh yes i remember lvling up my first character:) Everything you saw was just so awesome!
90 Undead Warrior
First character.
First guild.
First raid.

And -alot- of the names of people who played back then, I still remember most.
85 Human Paladin
Most memorable times for me... Hmm...

My first MC raid when I was barely old enough to drink and topping damage meters (one of the first if not the first addon ever) on my Fury Warrior. Got my first epic then as well. Ahh gearing for Agi + Str as a Warrior for crit and mad deeps.

A while after in vanilla I managed to make it to Field Marshal in the initial BG PvP ranking system, never made it to Grand Marshal though but I remember the great PvP'ers from my realm.

And the final, and probably most memorable time in WoW for me was Class WoW PvP in general, having long battleground queues didn't bother me much, since every game was pure excitement back then, facing off against the players of your own realm you knew from the realm forums. Back then Alliance and Horde players, while hostile towards eachother in PvP, had a lot more respect for eachother as well, and it all felt much more like World of Warcraft playing with people you knew.

Now, in Cataclysm 6 years later you rarely talk to anyone but your Guild and some people on your friends list, normal conversations with the people from your own realm don't happen anymore, when you're in a battleground or a dungeon through the queueing systems you often feel like you're playing a solo game with the AI in your party being random (as in, insanely good or bloody horrible).

For sure many changes have been for the best, even the new queueing systems have there benefits, but personally I miss the feeling WoW gave you in the old days.
I'm not talking about mechanics and Paladins having no purpose but to spam buffs in raids, but the basic feeling that gives you joy in playing a game has dwindled since then for me.
85 Troll Hunter
Probably that traps are still getting resisted :P
86 Orc Shaman
shaman, 2 hander, windfury, dead.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
VANILLA WOW!!
85 Gnome Warlock
Most memorable WoW moment.....hmm hard one. Must be my first world drop epic item, Stockade Pauldrons....was happy for the whole week. A few weeks ago, I got 2 epics within a few hours. First an Eye of Flame, and then Stonerender Gauntlets. I wasn't even eally exited.... Funny how that goes.

Other memories I treasure:
I remember the 1st few days, and the crashed account service, so I spend watching beta movies and reading the booklet(wich looked more like a Bible:P)

I remember my first MC raid wich even with less then 40 undergeared peeps went smooth and got me into the whole raid game.

The sad fact that I couldnt play so much in TBC and quit for a while, only to come back when I saw a TBC CE in a local store.....got WotLK CE aswell, and started playing on Azuremyst upon server launch. Never really left it.
85 Orc Warrior
The first PvP-encounter I ever had (it was on my old feraldruid) against a horde shaman in stonetalon mountains will remain in my memory for a long time. My heart was literally pounding in my chest.

The two Molten Giants looming over me as I stepped into Molten Core. (First impressions really have a way of sticking with you.)

Playing on Sylvanas as Alliance back in the day. The sense of community, and especially the fact that I knew who the big guys were (and even interacted with them from time to time). Sco and Vurtne come to mind, but the list goes on.

Beyond that, coming up with strategies, or refining them, both in PvE and PvP, has always been a great experience for me. And of course, all the times we killed a boss after the tank(s) kicked the bucket, because I evasion-tanked it ;)
Edited by Supertard on 11/02/2011 19:26 GMT
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]