"Too many attempts warning" 74,60,87,61

90 Undead Warlock
I have recieved a set of four of these emails, the numbers I have stated in the title of this post are in the order in which they arrived. They each have this content:

"Dear customer,

Due to suspicious activity, your Battle.net account has been locked. You tried to login your account too many times (403). We are concerned about whether your account has been stolen. In order to guarantee the legitimacy of your account, we need you follow these steps:

Step 1: Secure Your Computer

In the event that your computer has been infected with malicious software such as a keylogger or trojan, simply changing your password may not deter future attacks without first ensuring that your computer is free from these programs. Please visit our Account Security website to learn how to secure your computer from unauthorized access.

Step 2: Secure Your E-mail Account

After you have secured your computer, check your e-mail filters and rules and look for any e-mail forwarding rules that you did not create. For more information on securing your e-mail account, visit our Support page.

Step 3: Restore access to Your account

We now provide a secure link for you to verify whether you have taken the appropriate steps to secure the account, your computer, and your email address. Please follow this site to restore the access to your account:(Link removed for safety reasons)

If you still have questions or concerns after following the steps above, feel free to contact Customer Support at (link removed for safety reasons)

Sincerely,
The Battle.net Account Team
Online Privacy Policy"

The first one of said emails was sent by "noreply@blizzard.com" and the last three all from "noreply@battle.net"

I clicked no links, just mouseover to see source information, and I do not believe them to be real.
They seem like scams to me, but there is no flaw, unlike every other I have seen.
The first of these was instantly placed in the unwanted folder though, and the numbers in the titles are irregular.
Even the source locations of the links look genuine, except that they go to the US and I am strictly EU.
Seeing as I can still play World of Warcraft normally, and my battle.net account does not appear to be frozen at all, I wonder what it might be about if it is real and if not, you have some more skilled scammers to deal with, Blizzard.

My account was compromised once more than half a year ago, but my swift actions of changing all passwords in minutes after knowing my computer was clean of any malware or the like, limited the intrusion and it was handled so swiftly that I barely got hindered by it.
I would really like to know if this is real, which I heavily doubt from the lack of any freezing of my accounts.

Thanks in advance for anyone who reads this, whether they are a Blizzard employee or not.
(edit: Slight typo removed)
Edited by Eppon on 03/03/2011 03:22 GMT
Reply Quote
60 Human Warlock
Spam mail ignore it
Reply Quote
- CS
90 Draenei Priest
If you checked the message source rather than just mousing over, you would have discovered that it was probably sent from a hotmail account in Korea.

Alternatively, have a look at the 'Fake or Phishing E-mail' sticky thread - http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641151 - which will tell you waht to look out for. This particular mail has already been reported there, I believe.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Actually, while that is a fake (Blizzard don't offer "secure links" to click, all their site is secure so you only need an address and a standard webform!), that's a lot better than most of the scam mails that have been going about: clearly they've cottoned on to the fact that people don't buy the 'threat of closure' deal.

Send the mail - including all headers - to hacks@blizzard.com so that their tech dudes can track the folk sending them out and reign vengeance down. I likes me some vengeance rain.
Reply Quote
Community
This is indeed a scam mail. Please do not reply to it nor go through the links given. If you have already done it, then please make sure that you scan your computer with an anti virus software and change the password to your Battle.net account.

For more information about fake emails please read our sticky thread:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641151
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]