7 Days free gametime

(Locked)

85 Goblin Priest
Hello. Attached to my battle.net account I have 2 world of warcraft accounts. This one is active, the other is not. I received an email regarding the inactive one telling me that until the 22nd of this month I could get 7 days of free game time. When I visited the link provided, though, it told me the account had already used the free game time offer.

The email was legit as far as I could tell, so I'm left wondering, am I being offered 7 days of free game time on my other account, or not? If not, then why did I receive that email? If yes, then how can I accept the offer?
- World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Death Knight
It is probably highly fake. - Change your password as soon as possible!

This mail is a attempt to hack your account.

I've received the exact same email, that expires the 22nd of this month, and getting that error once logging on. ( I logged on for curiousty purposes, I'm well aware of the consequences and how to protect my account and PC against this ) And it was for for a couple days ago.

- I spoke to a Game Master about it, and he said it seems they haven't sent out any of these for a while, so that the mail I got was fake. which makes me believe yours is too.

In this topic below you can read more about fake emails, and how to identify other ones aswell.

(Sticky) Fake or ‘Phishing’ E-mails from Blizzard
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641151
Edited by Gontier on 11/03/2011 23:12 GMT
85 Goblin Priest
I highly doubt the email was fake, since the URL provided was:

<snip>

Maybe there was something in the email that was supposed to trick the user, but that was the URL I used, and it's pretty legit (since blizzard still owns the wow-europe.com domain). Would still like a blue response to this.

Well, in any case, if you see a thread by me complaining about getting hacked, you'll know why :P

Edit: Removing the URL from your post here, as it’s actually very likely genuine, and may incite other players to attempt to retrieve the promotional time while also not eligible.
Edited by Nephadne on 12/03/2011 01:38 GMT
- World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Death Knight
Yes, and please remove the link - if it's fake we wouldn't want someone who's curious to enter it, or try to.

Customer Support Forum Representatives can read edited post, so they can still see the link. And I had the exact same link aswell. So I know that's not the whole link, but anyway. :-)

Unfortunetaly there's not so many 'blue' posts at the night, but you should have an answer soon, if not, you can submit an In-game Ticket aswell, since the Game Masters work twenty four seven. :-)
Edited by Gontier on 11/03/2011 23:29 GMT
MVP - WoW, Diablo III
85 Draenei Shaman
To clarify.... Blizzard do from time to time offer free game time to accounts that are inactive.

However, the sleaze that try to steal accounts send out emails claiming the same... so... how do you tell the email is real?

Simple steps....

Does the email ask for your password? If it does... its fake.

Does the email have links that take you to sites other than http://eu.battle.net/blahblahblah? If so... its fake... as long as the first part is http://eu.battle.net/ or http://wow-europe.com/ then it is real.

Has the email been received on your correct battle.net email address? If not ... it's fake

If all else fails, post the emails (first removing your own email address and any possibly fake url links) in this thread below and wait for advice before proceeding:-

Fake or ‘Phishing’ E-mails from Blizzard
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641151

- World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Death Knight
Shammoz, The email itself got like a huge banner of Deathwing, including a button in the middle of the mail which states "Claim your 7 free days of game time!", it's a wow-europe.com address but it redirects to a https://www.eu.battle.net, etc.

I checked it up with a Game Master and got the answer it was fake, as it seemed they havent sent out any of these recently. ( I got one of these a couple days ago ), and as I said, I entered the link out of curiousty and boredom, and got owned by a error claiming I've already taken the free game time. Couldn't be anymore fake :p?

Edit; the mail itself does look quite fancy compared to what I usually receive in my mailbox, unfortunetaly it's quite impressive how similiar looks these scam attempts seem to become.
Edited by Gontier on 12/03/2011 00:04 GMT
MVP - WoW, Diablo III
85 Draenei Shaman
I do get your concern Gontier, really I do.. I am usually the first to push the BIG RED alarm button.. but I am sure you will remember the post in the last week or so ago where a similar offer was genuine. If a site is redirected to https://www.eu.battle.net/ then it is safe if that is actually where the browser goes. (i.e. not really going to eu.battttle.net -extra t's in there)
- World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Death Knight
12/03/2011 12:13 AMPosted by Shammoz
I do get your concern Gontier, really I do.. I am usually the first to push the BIG RED alarm button.. but I am sure you will remember the post in the last week or so ago where a similar offer was genuine. If a site is redirected to https://www.eu.battle.net/ then it is safe if that is actually where the browser goes. (i.e. not really going to eu.battttle.net -extra t's in there)

I know, and I remember it. - I'm not worried about it either, I'm more curious about it. 7 Days free gameplay doesn't do much when my account haven't been in-active for 5 years. :p

Just find it abit weird that a Game Master says it's fake, and you're given a lovely error that it has already been used etc after you've logged on (no log out button after there aswell) , yet it could be real. ;)
85 Goblin Priest
Well, to clarify, quite a few months ago I got a similar offer for the same account, which I used at the time. So the error message of "your account has already used the free time offer" (or whatever it was) is not totally out of order. I can understand if me having used a similar offer in the past makes me uneligible for it again, but I'm honestly curious about why, if what I've said is the case, I still got an email offering the time. Leaves a sour taste in the mouth. Then again, alerting blizzard to this fact may help correct some underlying issue with their billing/accounting software. I'll keep checking the thread during the weekend.
MVP - WoW, Diablo III
85 Draenei Shaman
Could you post the email, but include the headers but at the same time obscure your own email address..... I could be more sure if I could see it...
Blizzard Employee
Hello Wanderwall,

Having checked your inactive account, I’d be very inclined to believe that the email in question will likely have been genuine.

Now obviously I cannot guarantee this without seeing the email header information, but your inactive account certainly does fit all the ‘criteria’ we have listed here for those accounts likely to be selected for this promotion, while your previous use of such an offer does rule you out from participating again (although the offer you took up was long enough ago that it regrettably doesn’t seem to have impaired you being sent a new invitation).

Sadly this means that, in short, yes you were being offered the gametime (hence the mail), but no it unfortunately won’t be possible to claim it (having already done so previously).

I do, however, understand your confusion that such a mail be sent again if the account in question was inherently ineligible, and I shall pass this on in case the selection categories should perhaps be improved. Apologies for any worry or frustration caused in the meantime, nonetheless. :)

Incidentally, hello there also Gontier,

I was curious when I read that you’d been assured that this particular mail was fake, so I went in search of a further potential account or accounts to which it could have been referring – it seems you may potentially have two such inactive accounts, and that both of these accounts have previously made use of a 7 day promotional offer in the past, so this actual makes it far more likely that you may have received a legitimate mail (although, of course, you will have been likewise unable to claim the offer).

I do apologise if the information given to you in-game was to the contrary, although thankfully there’s been no loss on this occasion, but I’ll hopefully try and make sure that information regarding this particular promotion is disseminated as thoroughly as possible in case some of our staff may have previously missed it. :)
- World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Death Knight
Incidentally, hello there also Gontier,

I was curious when I read that you’d been assured that this particular mail was fake, so I went in search of a further potential account or accounts to which it could have been referring – it seems you may potentially have two such inactive accounts, and that both of these accounts have previously made use of a 7 day promotional offer in the past, so this actual makes it far more likely that you may have received a legitimate mail (although, of course, you will have been likewise unable to claim the offer).

I do apologise if the information given to you in-game was to the contrary, although thankfully there’s been no loss on this occasion, but I’ll hopefully try and make sure that information regarding this particular promotion is disseminated as thoroughly as possible in case some of our staff may have previously missed it. :)

That might explain it atleast, I do have one other account which I used to RAF a Paladin on, which I then transferred to my main account, however I don't remember at all that I submitted the same email, was pretty sure I set that one to another email address. I don't remember any info about that account at all. So meh. ;)
Edited by Gontier on 12/03/2011 08:55 GMT
85 Goblin Priest
Thank you for the reply, Nephadne.
85 Troll Hunter
Can I query the e-mail that I have recieved?

Dear Players,

The world-shattering rage of Deathwing has been unleashed, changing Azeroth forever. Return to the struggle between the Horde and Alliance with 7 days of FREE game time! Simply click below to claim your time and witness the Cataclysm ... but act fast, as this offer will expire on May 22, 2010.

I'm curious because the date on the e-mail shows the year 2010!

I would love 7 days free, but I don't wanna get hacked!!
- World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Death Knight
Can I query the e-mail that I have recieved?

Dear Players,

The world-shattering rage of Deathwing has been unleashed, changing Azeroth forever. Return to the struggle between the Horde and Alliance with 7 days of FREE game time! Simply click below to claim your time and witness the Cataclysm ... but act fast, as this offer will expire on May 22, 2010.

I'm curious because the date on the e-mail shows the year 2010!

I would love 7 days free, but I don't wanna get hacked!!

Blizzard do not send you emails such as those with the line "Dear Players," - When Blizzard actually sends it, they use your real life name. For an example for me, "Dear Marcus,". So as far as I know and based on previous posts that uses that phrase, it's false.

If you hover your mouse cursor over the button they want you to press, you'll see where it leads to aswell in the bottom left corner.
68 Undead Death Knight
I get alot of messages saying i've been selling accounts , I simply ignore these , they're most likely fake , it would help us if you posted your mail , maybe a fake one or even compare your emails to a real one perhaps?
u do realise that the OP recieved the mail almost a year ago?
- CS
90 Blood Elf Mage
To add on Allanonn's anti-necro campaign here is also a link to phising or scam mails: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/900641151
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]