The world feels dead.

80 Orc Hunter
I personally consider this to be the greatest problem of WoW.

As it is, the playerbase currently has very little incentive to leave a capital city. Battlegrounds? You get teleported as soon as it starts. The same with Arena and Dungeon Finder. Raid? You can travel to the raid instance for a minute or two, or just slack and have your raid summon you.

I mean, sure, there are few situations. Like, if you're hunting for achievements. Or going to old school raids for some mounts or whatever. Or you're going to farm something. But those are finite circumstances and don't help that much.

What's worse, even the community itself feels dead. Oh, sure, if you're a raider you have your guild to talk to. If you're in an arena team you probably have a few friends playing arena. But outside of that, social contact in WoW seems pretty much dead.

I personally blame Dungeon Finder, cross-server battlegrounds (and even guild leveling to an extent) for this, but I cannot realistically expect Blizzard to get rid of those features any time soon.

Basically, I wish Blizzard would implement features that would encourage players to bond with other people belonging to the same server to foster a feeling of community. To make the world more alive by encouraging players to travel around Azeroth for whatever reasons.

I admit, I personally can't think of too many ways for Blizzard to do this, but I do have some suggestions.

For example, reviving world PvP. Yes, there is Tol Barad, but that's just one zone, and it's hardly world PvP when it happens in just one place. So, here's an idea. Make a daily quest. It would require you to kill X opposite faction players in Y zone. Also, the quest reward should be something significant enough for people to bother with it, but not too significant. Maybe make the quest reward as many Conquest Points as a single arena victory? Every day, the quest would take place in a different zone. And obviously, only players that award honor points would count.

Another idea would be to encourage people to raid other faction capital cities. Maybe make a quest with a very decent reward to kill an opposite faction faction leader? Making this a daily or a weekly quest obviously wouldn't work, but what about making it a monthly quest? Make it so the faction leader in question changes every month, and once you kill him, you get the full weekly amount of Conquest Points and some gold. And while we're at it, give a buff to the faction leaders. "Honorable presence" would be a nice name. Make it so whenever you're within X radius of the faction leader, you get 10x honor. This would encourage people to defend their faction leader and fight within the factor leader's presence (Buff would work for both factions.).

But this shouldn't be a PvP thing only. PvE-orientated players should also be encouraged to group.

Back in vanilla, we had Tyr's Hand and similar places where people would group to take out tougher foes and farm the rewards there. But I somehow think that wouldn't work in modern WoW since very few people, to my knowledge, actually go around farming gold. Still, trying to re-implement group farming into the game would be a great addition. I personally still have fond memories of farming Tyr with friends, trying to avoid the other faction and getting the hell away from that bloody patrol.

Another idea is to implement outdoor bosses. I understand how in vanilla they had that, but decided to get rid of it because not everyone could get the kill. So I propose a slightly different way of handling those outdoor bosses. Bosses themselves should be spread out across Azeroth and have a relatively short respawn (Ten minutes at most) time. But they themselves would drop no loot. Instead, there would be a weekly quest which would require you to kill one of those bosses. The weekly quest should rotate every day (So you get a different boss every day, but you can only do it once a week.) not to have everyone farming the same boss. The quest would only be doable in a group and the outdoor boss should be slightly stronger than a heroic boss. The quest reward should be a decent amount of Valor Points (At least as much as you get for completing the first heroic, preferably even more.) and a bag of goodies containing some gold, flasks, random heroic-level blue and a lower chance for a BoE epic. Maybe, alternatively, make it a 10 people raid boss, though that brings up technical difficulties about how to limit the group fighting the boss to 10 people?

I would personally love it if Blizzard implemented some incentives for people to group up with other players from the same server before signing up on Dungeon Finder, but that would obviously conflict with their current design philosophy. How about maybe making it so when you use Dungeon Finder, the system itself looks to mix you with players from the same server as much as possible? By grouping with players from the same server, using Dungeon Finder would be less boring as people would be less "anonymous" and you'd be more likely to communicate with each other as you'd have a higher chance of running into one another.

Of course, it would require a lot more than just these few ideas of mine to be implemented to "revive" the world. Obviously other features should be implemented as well, though I personally can't think of many and would like to encourage other people to post their own ideas about this in this thread.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Priest
when cross server bg's weren;t allowed, we would have insane queues for Aliance on Emerald Dream, and on every other server where one faction has the majority ( i don't mean 56/44 but 80/20)
Reply Quote
80 Orc Hunter
11/04/2011 16:36Posted by Dóri
when cross server bg's weren;t allowed, we would have insane queues for Aliance on Emerald Dream, and on every other server where one faction has the majority ( i don't mean 56/44 but 80/20)

Eh, I think you misread my post. I didn't say cross-server battlegrounds should be abolished. I said how one cannot realistically expect Blizzard to do something like that.

In this thread, I am mainly suggesting and looking for other ways to make server community (the world itself) more important without killing off the cross-server features.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
The OP has some really good ideas, shame that 90% of the forum won't bother reading the wall of text.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Very nice Dergas, very nice.

I agree with you, there's not s much life out in the world as there have been in history.
I was playing back in vanilla, and there was a lot of people wherever you went, and Gank-elthorn Vale was the place to get killed as a lowbie. The arena there did create some life as well, as the reward trinket was nice for those that PvP a lot. That is also a possible incentitive to return to the game as a pvp / fun factor to bring some life back.
However, with flying in the old world, it isn't a pain to get around, but you also won't be seeing anyone else on the trip.

As stated, the cross server dungeon finder is somewhat of the problem and solution at the same time. Several threads have been about how players would grief a group by joining and just zoning out or the like. However, before the dungeon finder, it could take quite a lot of time to get a dungeon grp, and poor those that actually needed stuff from an instance like Oculus.
I believe these tools have made life easier for practically all WoW-players, which is nice. But as you very well pointed out. What is the incentitive to fly around, to stay in a dungeon when you already killed the boss you needed gear from et.c.

These are challenges and I like your ideas and hope Blizz in some way can use them in the effort to create some action.
To pitch in an idea of my own, that probably isn't happening either, is to actually increase the coop of the servers. Find some way to make the transistion between having 6 servers that coop on bg's and dungeons and make it possible to interact in some way in the world. One way is to have 6 "levels" of the cities and make it possible to shift between.

The even better solution as I see it, is the possibility of loggin into WoW and then have a free choice of which of the 6 servers you want to log onto. That way it is technically easier but it would create a chance to actually make a big raid for the factions bosses, even if your own server is a bit dead.
Another upside, is that Blizz that way can see if some servers should be merged, so it could prove an economic benefit as well.

Thank you for making a nice thread, I hope it will be read and kept in a sober tone.
Reply Quote
49 Goblin Hunter
I think instant porting to dungeons is a bad thing. Unfortunately the community has been fed a diet of it for sometime now and would be hard to get them off it. I do however agree with the notion of the original post. More incentive or perhaps even easier ways to find same-realm teammates would be great.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
Thumbs up! Good ideas you have there!
Reply Quote
Good post OP, hope Blizzard will recognize a bit faster what they have done with the gaming world.

Other ideas how to make the world more important again:

- Daily Quest Areas where PvP is activated even on PvE servers (actually TolBarad should have been like that) to encourage more World PvP

- Having random mob/invasion events on the World, marked on your world map, giving an incentive to travel around the world and to do besides BGs, raids, dungeons and quests

- Hidden locations around the world, small abbeys on top of mountains, treasure boxes that respawn every 3 hours filled with some gold and tradegoods around the world. (On PvP servers there could be the rule that you aren't able to loot the box if you haven't waited next to it for at least 1minute without a player from the other faction getting near, similar to the flags in Eye of the Storm)

- Raremob areas, where the mobs drop high amounts of volatile earth, fire, etc or other goods, but those mobs are so strong that you need at least one tank, DD and healer to down them (can be achieved by giving them a on hit debuff that decreases dmg and selfhealing, therefore making it impossible to be soloed even by high selfhealing classes like DKs and maybe adding them an immunity against pet aggro, therefore letting them ignore Hunter pets and only focusing players). Such an area would also give you something to do with other players apart from dungeons, raids, bgs.

that are my ideas so far, the other ones were already mentioned by OP :)

Really hope some friendly CM will forward our feedback :o

greetings
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Very well written, telelporting to dungeons and battlegrounds are part of removing a great social interaction of the game. Although myself I am not against removing it as such, I think Blizzard should do more to get people out of the cities anhd on the countryside and do hard labour, I'd love world pvp-incentives like capital raid weekly quests.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
"the dead world" is what most mmos suffer from no matter the size of the player base an tbh no game company has yet to find a solution.

thats the one thing i do love about the sandbox mmo, when everything is player run and nothing is in instances you do see ppl alot more than u do in insta mmo's.

Maybe a all out war by horde an alliance would solve alot of things, implementing horde raiding parties alliance raiding parties etc, and i dont mean week minded 6 to a grp raiding parties i mean full out assults by the faction npc champions on territories held by each other, daily quests where u need to grp with say 10 ppl an that 10m grp has to do various tasks all over the assult, go defend the walls, wait gates are breached go to the gates.

there is soo much that can be done to involve the playerbase and make the world feel alive it is truley a wonder beyond instances whether for pvp or raiding why after 6 years nothing has been implemented to do so
Edited by Dwarthvader on 11/04/2011 19:13 BST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Maybe a all out war by horde an alliance would solve alot of things, implementing horde raiding parties alliance raiding parties etc, and i dont mean week minded 6 to a grp raiding parties i mean full out assults by the faction npc champions on territories held by each other, daily quests where u need to grp with say 10 ppl an that 10m grp has to do various tasks all over the assult, go defend the walls, wait gates are breached go to the gates.

Dude, exactly my opinion as well, would be awesome.
But I remember how pathetic it was during the Shattering elemental assault last autumn when people just whined in trade when their auctioneers disappeared for some time.
I'd still love though to have a more active world with assaults on capitals etc, low-level people will have to hide for sometime, it will be like a quest: survive for 10 minutes, or something, xD
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Dude, exactly my opinion as well, would be awesome.
But I remember how pathetic it was during the Shattering elemental assault last autumn when people just whined in trade when their auctioneers disappeared for some time.
I'd still love though to have a more active world with assaults on capitals etc, low-level people will have to hide for sometime, it will be like a quest: survive for 10 minutes, or something, xD

why i liked neutral cities and thought they shoulda had auction houses and stuff, that way we could concentrate on wars an such, tbh its the on major gripe i have with wow the more it ages the more theres actrually no need to have alliance or horde, granted u can go on a pvp server an hunt each other or go into a bg an fight, but cmonthe horde needs to go bak to being THE HORDE, or pplz inpressions of them, wee need full world war no more truces an oh lets help each other kill x boss then go bak and sit glare at each other through rose tinted glasses lol
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Nice thread OP, i'd like to say i really miss those times of seeing people in the world back then. Now all i see is tumbleweed pass me by, every area is ''dead'' It would bring vibrance back into the game if they implemented world PvP rewards, as you would constantly be on alert of the opposite faction, increasing the danger and intensity of the gameplay, which in Vanilla happened alot. I think it would be easy to implement, aslong as the rewards are not facerollable so you maintain world PvP for a long time. And yes, Blizzard have seemed to have forgotten, this is the WORLD of warcraft, not Idle in a city, wait in a queue warcraft.
Reply Quote
Don't forget to upvote OP to give it more attention :)
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
11/04/2011 19:40Posted by Yahna
Don't forget to upvote OP to give it more attention :)

keep forgetting that thnxz for reminder
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest

For example, reviving world PvP. Yes, there is Tol Barad, but that's just one zone, and it's hardly world PvP when it happens in just one place. So, here's an idea. Make a daily quest. It would require you to kill X opposite faction players in Y zone. Also, the quest reward should be something significant enough for people to bother with it, but not too significant. Maybe make the quest reward as many Conquest Points as a single arena victory? Every day, the quest would take place in a different zone. And obviously, only players that award honor points would count.

I like that idea, a lot. In Wrath they had something similar in Icecrown from the dailies on the airship but it wasn't amazing. They should be held in non-80 to 85 zones and people of the required level (85?) should be flagged PvP automatically on entering the zone (not relevant for PvP realms of course). You could also get a multiplier on the reward, or something extra, if you get it whilst in a group with four other level 85s.

They really have to do something about this one-city situation tho, it is an absolute killer for people getting bored of the game.

EDIT: - Thumbs up for OP please - tell everyone to thumbs up in your replies!
Edited by Heartsorrow on 11/04/2011 20:30 BST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
11/04/2011 16:29Posted by Dergas
Another idea would be to encourage people to raid other faction capital cities. Maybe make a quest with a very decent reward to kill an opposite faction faction leader? Making this a daily or a weekly quest obviously wouldn't work, but what about making it a monthly quest? Make it so the faction leader in question changes every month, and once you kill him, you get the full weekly amount of Conquest Points and some gold. And while we're at it, give a buff to the faction leaders. "Honorable presence" would be a nice name. Make it so whenever you're within X radius of the faction leader, you get 10x honor. This would encourage people to defend their faction leader and fight within the factor leader's presence (Buff would work for both factions.).

11/04/2011 16:29Posted by Dergas
Another idea is to implement outdoor bosses. I understand how in vanilla they had that, but decided to get rid of it because not everyone could get the kill. So I propose a slightly different way of handling those outdoor bosses. Bosses themselves should be spread out across Azeroth and have a relatively short respawn (Ten minutes at most) time. But they themselves would drop no loot. Instead, there would be a weekly quest which would require you to kill one of those bosses. The weekly quest should rotate every day (So you get a different boss every day, but you can only do it once a week.) not to have everyone farming the same boss. The quest would only be doable in a group and the outdoor boss should be slightly stronger than a heroic boss. The quest reward should be a decent amount of Valor Points (At least as much as you get for completing the first heroic, preferably even more.) and a bag of goodies containing some gold, flasks, random heroic-level blue and a lower chance for a BoE epic. Maybe, alternatively, make it a 10 people raid boss, though that brings up technical difficulties about how to limit the group fighting the boss to 10 people?

Good. Just that to all ppl read what is important on your post=P
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Thumbs up!
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
11/04/2011 21:00Posted by Emalthar
Thumbs up!
Reply Quote
81 Orc Hunter
Good ideas there OP, though I would like to add some features to your post, like the removal of flying mounts (and give 150% ground mount? also coupled with more paths into each zone). This would not only revive world pvp, but also help the game regain its epic feel, now you can just fly everywhere and take portals to wherever.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]