Check name availability?

85 Orc Warlock
Hello I want to check some name for availability? Is this is somehow possible? Like I want to enter my desired name and it will show me realms where it is not taken.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Priest
search funtion, u can see the realms it is taken so you should e able to figure out which aren;t
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
This won't work for me, if it is taken in 4 pages of realms that's too much.
Reply Quote
43 Human Warrior
OP, I'm curious. Why is a name so important that you are in effect looking for a way to identify realms where you can use it?

When you attempt to name a character the system automatically checks availability on the realm and tells you if it's already in use. If it's in use you just choose another name.

Being able to use a specific name is no more arbitrary a way to select a realm than any other I've seen but it's got to be the least important all the factors I can think of.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
I'm just curious
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
the only way i'm aware of it to search it in the armoury and then its a process of elimination
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
In the Armory you can see only active level 10+ characters, there could be an inactive or 9- character there and you'd only know it when you'd chosen your race, class and looks and entered your name. Darn, it's taken! OK, I'll choose another name. Dang, taken again. Now what? I guess I'll go play another character for a bit, while thinking of another name. Then later you come back, having thought of one or two other names you could live with. You choose your race, class and looks - but wait, I liked the way I had her set up the first time, why can't I seem to recreate that look? So you twiddle with the selections another 20 minutes, you enter a name, and guess what? Yes, taken again...

I wish there were a method to check name availability earlier in the character-creation process.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Berna precisely summarises how I feel when trying to make a new alt :p It's one of the (admittedly less important) factors preventing me moving of Boulderfist - I put a lot of time and thought into making my alts, and try and make appropriate or interesting names. I really don't want to have to rename them!

And yeah it would be very very useful to be able to see all realms where the name is taken (including -10) and all where it is available.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
13/04/2011 08:15Posted by Berna
I wish there were a method to check name availability earlier in the character-creation process.

skip the character customization, just type in the name until you find one that's free, delete the char and create a new one with the look you like and use the name
it's very unlikely that someone will take that name while you customize your look
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
In the Armory you can see only active level 10+ characters, there could be an inactive or 9- character there.

It now shows level 1's as long as they have actually been logged into, they dont have a viewable page though.
Edited by Kaylia on 13/04/2011 10:07 BST
Reply Quote
Customer Service
skip the character customization, just type in the name until you find one that's free, delete the char and create a new one with the look you like and use the name
it's very unlikely that someone will take that name while you customize your look

This is the fastest & easiest way to check if a name is available on a server, using the armory means you might not see some low level characters so I don't recommend using it to check for available names.
Edited by Glauzuu on 13/04/2011 10:48 BST
Reply Quote
91 Human Warlock
Just make a random toon with the name to see if it works if not, try another until you get a name you like, delete the toon and make one with the name, looks and class you want.

Edit: you could always open a ticket and ask for your name to be changed to the one you want. GMs can sometimes do this, not most of the time though.
Edited by Dottie on 13/04/2011 11:26 BST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I usually log in and do /friend <name> till I've found something I'm happy with. If the name is taken it will either add it to your list (same faction) or tell you friends have to be in your faction (if it's taken on the other side). If it's added to the list then /firend <name> again (enter, alt-up arrow, enter *I think* achieves this for you, it's something like that) to remove it.

I prefer this to the character screen because it usually takes me a long time to come up with something I'm happy with and you can see guild chat and stuff while you do it.
Edited by Willow on 13/04/2011 11:57 BST
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I usually check warcraftrealms.com. It's not always accurate, but 8 out of 10 the name I choose isn't picked.

And yeah above /friend is also a good one.
Reply Quote
85 Human Mage
Log in on the realm and add the name you want as a friend, if it says "Character not found" or simular it is available.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]