Quitting after 4 years - My final thoughts

85 Goblin Rogue
5 days left until my subscription normally is renewed automaticly. Howver this time it won't be. In a few days, I'm giving all my stuff and gold away through and event I have created on my server. After that I will delete every character I have made, so I won't be tempted in a moment of weakness to come back.

WoW is a mere shadow of what it used to be. All of my fond memories are from TBC and some from WotLK. Cataclysm? None really comes to mind. The world is bigger than ever, yet it feels completely dead.I spent over an hour yesterday looking for other players, who aren't stationary outsidethe auction house on their giant dragons, waiting for a popup on their screen to prompt you to "enter battle" or "enter instance".

I went to all the places that used to have actual players in them. Areas that Blizzard has revamped to encourage people to revisit. I think I may have seen the odd player flying by me on their mount. That's it. There where nobody dueling in Goldshire, no sneaky alliance players ready to take down some unfortunate fool who just wanted to pass through the barrens. Outside Stormwind and Orgrimmar, there was a few players dueling, most of them wasn't even flagged for PvP. Tell me again why it's called a PvP server?

I just don't get it. Here you have this amazing online world where thousands of players could go on adventures and fight side by side against the opposite faction. But nobody does. The have no reason to do so. Due to several "convenient" features, such as the dungeon finder, I can make a new character and upon reaching level 10 or so, I don't even have to set foot outside the city ever again. I can just queue up for a random whatever, watch some TV while I wait. get teleported in and get shiny stuff. Why should I even bother setting foot out in the world, when I get the best stuff from places I get teleported to? I'm not being encouraged by the developers to do it. Sure I can get an acheivement saying I did all the quests in a certain area, but does it make any difference? Sadly it does not.

There are two things that is important to the average WoW player today. Itemlevel on your gear and the acheivement confirming you have done the particular boss or instance before. Have you ever been asked if you are a good player before joining a group? Not me. You write something like rogue 361 [acheivement]. If I get lucky, I can write 362 next week. That's it. Nothing personal. We are all here to do a job and as fast as possible so we can all go back to our giant dragons while we queue for other random things.

I remember when you actually had to manually go to a dungeon and ask for people to join you, perhaps even kill some mobs outside before you could summon people to you. I can't remember someone going "Damn, Blood Furnace again?" and then leave the group back in the good old days. If I'm going as a tank, I can be inside an instance 10 seconds after I press the "I'm to lazy to travel or interact with other players" button. I try to at least say "Hi" to the random people whom I will never see again, but it seems that even a friendly greeting is considered a waste of time by more and more players. People want their 70 points as quick as possible so they eventually can write a higher number next to [acheivement] before being accepted in a raid.

Tol Barad - a "PvP" zone that could have brough some life back to world pvp. 4 months have gone by, and now I hardly even see a player there. I guess most of them have gotten the exalted reputation, and therefor have no reason to go back anymore. It will interfere with their click on the menu and get stuff handed to you routine.

Yes it is the players that in the end are responsible for breathing life into the world, but most people are lazy and want as much as possible for as little as possible. Blizzard keeps putting in features that enables you to stand around doing almost nothing and still get rewards for it. Why is it that before all of these features was implemented, people where actually out in the world and doing stuff? Could it be that it was fun to just go out and do stuff, because there was things to do out there that was fun and engaging? A world raid boss, hordes coming to pick a fight by the flightmaster in westfall. You had to be responsible for some of your own entertainment, not just clicking a button and it all comes to you.

Everything is easymode now. You get epics handed to you. Look at me. I'm a mediocre, casual player and yet I have been able to get pretty much the best possible gear avaiable to anyone. The only thing a top rated arenaplayer can get that I can't is slightly better weapons, and another color on his PvP gear. Back in the day you could spot a top player just by looking at his gear. To this day I still remember when I saw the first rogue on my server dualwielding warglaives. There where even groups of players following him around the city. Now, it's nothing special. Everyone can get the best stuff now anyways. It's not like it's unique and special to be decked out in epics.

This is all part of the "Don't worry. We'll hold your hand and give you things" mentality that has taken over most aspects of the game. You don't have to find out things on your own. The spells in your spellbook have "handy" tips saying when you should use them. Maybe it's just me, but whats wrong with targeting a mob, casting spell on it and see what happends? Or what if I have equipped a lance to smash some eggs in the quest you get in Mount Hyjal, and forget to equip my own weapon. No chance of that happening, thanks to helpful reminder from the game. Anything wrong with finding out on your own, when you are fighting the next mob and you abilites don't work. You feel a little silly for forgetting that, run back to your corpse and equip your weapon. Hey, I found stuff out on my own!

I would like to finish by saying that I still think it is an amazing accomplishment, what Blizzard have acheived with this game. I truly hope that their next MMO will be even better, and that it will preserve one thing that I felt was lost in WoW a long time ago. To encourage and reward players to contribute and take part in the whole world that you created, not just handing them everything thorugh various "mini-games" that you access from your user interface. An online world can only be truly dynamic and involving if there is something out there that makes the players want to go there. If WoW was more about content and less about acheivements and item level, perhaps this story could have been different...

This thread is somewhat inspired by another player, who had some interesting thoughts after his computer was broken and he had a weeks break from WoW

Edit:

Since my account is closing soon, I wanted to share this before I go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJIl-15qzBg

It's a video of what I did my last day in WoW. A 1vs1 tournament with 16 players. The winner got all my stuff ;)
Edited by Theshiv on 18/04/2011 07:31 BST
85 Draenei Shaman
<3

Exactly how I feel. Exactly what I wrote in my thread. Exactly what other are writing in theirs.

I don't necessarily even want to call it an end yet, though I'm quite willing to - I want to give Blizz a chance to sort all the issue out, because behind the oily murk on the surface still lies the beautiful, atmospheric game people like us fell in love with all that time ago. I'm just hoping it hasn't stagnated too far to be saved.

Good luck wherever you go.
-Ark
Edited by Arkalon on 14/04/2011 02:17 BST
90 Dwarf Shaman
I Miss Wrath :(
90 Dwarf Warrior
Another one bites the dust
79 Draenei Shaman
14/04/2011 02:24Posted by Tohiran

14/04/2011 02:25Posted by Ohgee
lol leave and never come back.

Two people that just helped the OP make his point, I'm sure he appreciates it.

I've been playing since release, I feel the exact same way, I guess I only really play this still is because of friends playing as well. I've been poking alternatives to WoW since TBC times.
85 Goblin Rogue
14/04/2011 02:25Posted by Ohgee

Thanks for proving my point. I won't exactly miss players who act like this...Sadly you are a part of what is wrong with this game.

I've been playing since release, I feel the exact same way, I guess I only really play this still is because of friends playing as well. I've been poking alternatives to WoW since TBC times.

My friends have quit already. I have 2 RL friends still playing now, and they are quitting with me. Going to try out RIFT. If it's no good I'll brush the dust of my Xbox and PS3
85 Worgen Rogue
Agree with pretty much the entire post. A good summary of how some of the new mechanics have ruined parts of the game.
90 Dwarf Warrior
14/04/2011 02:30Posted by Avataría

Please, all the threads of ''I quit'' are getting kinda annoying.
51 Human Priest
And you seem to like being even more annoying by saying random things on these "i quit" threads?
85 Worgen Rogue
14/04/2011 02:57Posted by Tohiran

A lot of them are but some (like this) raise some very good points.
90 Dwarf Warrior
Yeah but it's not like Blizzard is gonna do anything about it, we've had thousands of these threads and nothing is happening yet.
70 Dwarf Paladin
14/04/2011 02:57Posted by Tohiran

you are not forced to read nor reply to them so get lost!!!!

OP I for one shall miss you, i do agree with all you said, only reason i am staying is i enjoy leveling alts for a while and i am waiting for SWTOR.
85 Goblin Rogue
14/04/2011 03:07Posted by Tohiran
Yeah but it's not like Blizzard is gonna do anything about it, we've had thousands of these threads and nothing is happening yet.

Well, If ran a business and lost a customer, I would appreciate if that person told me why, instead of just leaving quietly and never coming back. If a majority of paying customers are leaving for the same reason, you may realise you are doing something wrong. I'm not saying that I represent what the majority of people who quit or thinking about quitting, but if Blizzard have any reason at some point to go back and look at what went wrong, then at least I have said what I wanted to say about it.
Edited by Theshiv on 14/04/2011 03:20 BST
85 Draenei Mage
I've also cancelled my account. I have less than a month left to play but I've not logged on for weeks. I've been playing the game since vanilla. The main reason I've quit is that game is just not fun any more, nothing to do apart from raiding. Pugging is a nightmare and PVP is too unbalanced. I'm also bored of leveling alts. Outside of the two main cities, the world is dead.

It is a shame because WoW has been the best game I've ever played and I would come back if things were improved but I think WoWs best days are gone.

I've been playing Rift the last week and its OK. The graphics are great and the game feels very familiar (it would do being influenced by WoW) but I am not sure the game will hold my attention. We will see.

I am however, looking forward to Guild Wars 2.
85 Human Paladin
See you in a few months time at most, maybe, just maybe if you have any willpower, at the next expansion, begging the gms to return your precious characters to you, feeling like an idiot for throwing away all that loot.

Almost feels like this thread, and respsonses like mine, have been occuring since oooh tbc, oh wait they have.

special snowflakes feeling special.
47 Orc Warlock
"I've been playing for 4 years"
Edited by Arkaedias on 14/04/2011 04:48 BST
85 Tauren Paladin
Your aware Bladefist is a low populated realm?
85 Tauren Druid
See you in a few months time at most, maybe, just maybe if you have any willpower, at the next expansion, begging the gms to return your precious characters to you, feeling like an idiot for throwing away all that loot.

Almost feels like this thread, and respsonses like mine, have been occuring since oooh tbc, oh wait they have.

special snowflakes feeling special.

you mean like "special snowflakes" that insist on posting on every thread like this to tell the posters that they are idiots and dont really want to leave?

just because you have no will-power and probably couldnt leave even if you started to hate WoW, doesnt mean everyone else doesnt have any either.
85 Draenei Hunter
I feel exactly the same as the OP. Subscription ending 6 May for me.
Already gave away my "stuff", ~150K gold, 2 choppers and tons and tons of matts, so dont bother asking.

I feel especially bad about the fact that WoW is losing its original playerbase; the people that play WoW because they liked Warcraft's Lore and RPG games in general.
The people that make up the majority now are a different kind of players that would normally not touch a RPG with a 10 foot pole... :(
No patience, no manners and no real interest in the game other than obtaining gear and status.

I like to remember WoW for what it was, not what it is today.
Im happy and proud that I was part of the community in Vanilla and BC, the golden and silver age of World of Warcraft.
I will miss this game, I already do for years...
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]