Prot Warrior PvP

Ellu. As many other warriors and other classes, I used to PvP Tank specced. Thought since the lovely 4.1 patch, where Blizz stomped their feet up Protection Warriors' A**holes it has not quite gone the right way, and i felt forced to respec to Arms. Mostly because of the gag order bugg, the ridicolous 330% longer Spell Reflect CD, and the removal of the daze effect, which shield bash applied.

Starting with the gag order bug:
1. I had a nice and long dicussion with a GM about this, and they are aware of the problem. And they were aware of the problem during the 4.1 PTR, yet they went ahead and launched it. I do not see the logic of launching something which do not work proppely when we already had one working just fine. instead of launching it in 4.1, they could have worked on the coding till 4.2... And now it's been what? 4 weeks since the launch? Still i've yet to see any posts or feedback on the situation.

2. Along with removing Shield Bash, blizzard also managed to remove the only slow effect warrior had in defensive stance, unless u specced for piercing howl, which in my opinion is a waste of talents, as Second Wind is a must VS frost mages.
2i: Every other class which can go in tank spec, does not need to waste talents for slow effects... i do not see the logic of this either.. Having to stance dance every 6-7 sec is too much of a rage dump. especially as prot as most of the rage we gain are from taking hits, or successfully reflecting a spell, which leads me to the next point.

Spell Reflect.
1. Regardless of the increase of the CD, by 330%, they also removed any chance of reducing the CD with talents. And on top of this they added the buggy version of gag order. so that's more of a double nerf...
2. This was also a main ability to gain rage Vs casters, especially frost mages and priests, because of their shields. "You generate 60 extra rage when you Spell reflect.." (prot talents)
This has NOT been thought through before being executed. Either we need to regen more rage by doing damage, or we need the regen more by taking hits. I've tested this many times, only after taking roughly 100k spell dmg i've reached the cap of 100 rage points...

In my point of view Protection warriors are now currently the weakest/most broken off all the tank classes, PvPwise. And FYI i've played prot warrior Vanilla, so any l2p comments would just be a waste of your and my time.

I'd love some feedback from other players, give me your point of view, regardless of class. And if a GM would reply i'd also be greatfull, and if so, i'd also like to add this little question; "Do you intend to leave the protection warriors as they are now?"

Thank you for taking your time reading this,
-Pud
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Kinda agree, but I think the Spell Reflect change was actually needed. Before 4.1, spamming SR each cooldown was a no-brainer where you couldn't really go wrong.

Shield Bash daze is badly missed, gag order is insanely laggy sometimes. What I found is that macroing /startattack to some usual openers helps a lot though on the rage issue (but doesn't altogether solve it in itself).
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
24/05/2011 09:43Posted by Phrygia
Kinda agree, but I think the Spell Reflect change was actually needed.

You were j/k, rite?

It's way too long cd for something that every smart caster can fake.
It should be 15 sec cd with 3 sec immunity aka counter.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Warrior
This has NOT been thought through before being executed. Either we need to regen more rage by doing damage, or we need the regen more by taking hits. I've tested this many times, only after taking roughly 100k spell dmg i've reached the cap of 100 rage points...

This. This is painful in raids as well. My damage and TPS output is dependant on how hard and fast the boss hits. For example; Atramedes normal is very hard for me to tank because he has a slow swing timer and doesn't do much damage, as well as he casts a lot of spells. It happens that I lose aggro after the first sonic breath because I'm rage starved.

On heroic mode, however, I am not rage starved because in heroic mode he hits like a truck, which means I can do much more damage and keep threat much easier. The rage mechanic is flawed in this regard. We rely way too much on being struck in combat. I'd rather they nerfed the rage income from damage taken, and increased from melee swings. Or, that they change Berserker Rage so that it causes us to gain more rage per melee swing instead of damage taken.
Reply Quote
86 Human Warrior
I Entirely without a doubt agree. Patch 4.0.6 was prot warrior PvP perfection, a little bit was missing though aka the dmg being whack and all, but still. The removal of shield bash and the increased cooldown of spell reflection has really melted my face :(
Edited by Zelios on 24/05/2011 14:52 BST
Reply Quote
or we shouldn't make prot viable in pvp at all.

sounds good? yeah sounds good.
Reply Quote
1 Human Mage

Yeah lets leave that prot spec broken.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Warrior

Or we shouldn't make arms viable in pvp at all. Sound good? Yeah sounds good.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
agree with the thread
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior

we shouldn't because you're bad with it ?
l2p
Edited by Dragonscar on 24/05/2011 18:36 BST
Reply Quote

Yeah lets leave that prot spec broken.

that would be nice if it never sees pvp again.

24/05/2011 18:08Posted by Tyraxor
Or we shouldn't make arms viable in pvp at all. Sound good? Yeah sounds good.

yeah, make the PVP spec not work in pvp while the PVE works in pve and pvp.

nice logic.

we shouldn't because you're bad with it ?
l2p

I got glad with it.

never again - prot was always a stupidly silly spec and will always be.

Anyone else?
Reply Quote
86 Human Warrior
24/05/2011 19:51Posted by Tankz
prot was always a stupidly silly spec and will always be.
Was good in PvP, should have been, was always 100x More fun than arms to play.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Just because it was 'good' in pvp, doesn't make it less stupid.
Reply Quote
25/05/2011 08:18Posted by Zelios

yet it was completly unbalanced and really really stupid to play against.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
25/05/2011 12:31Posted by Tankz

Unbalanced? Never. Not even in WotLK with the ArP stacking. It was just viable.
Stupid to play against? Wasn't it just you having trouble adapting to playing against a prot warrior?
I'd much rather play a viable protection warrior than a 4.0.6 fury-burst warrior.
Reply Quote
25/05/2011 14:17Posted by Fakir

Stupid to play against? Wasn't it just you having trouble adapting to playing against a prot warrior?
I'd much rather play a viable protection warrior than a 4.0.6 fury-burst warrior.

i take it you've never played as or against a prot warrior then.

I played prot to glad as you can see - prot/hunter/3 healer in 5's as well as pretty high in 3's on TR

Prot was retarded really.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
Well for a start the massive CD increase on SR was completely pointless yet it was a heavy nerf for prot pvp and I still feel the effects of it in pve vs a lot of caster mobs i need to get threat on from a distance or if im trying to lower my damage intake.

Removal of shield bash was a bit stupid - i mean, we're prot ffs we use our shield.

Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior

I played prot to glad as you can see - prot/hunter/3 healer in 5's as well as pretty high in 3's on TR

retarded with you using it yea ...again
l2p
Edited by Dragonscar on 25/05/2011 23:16 BST
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Well for a start the massive CD increase on SR was completely pointless yet it was a heavy nerf for prot pvp and I still feel the effects of it in pve vs a lot of caster mobs i need to get threat on from a distance or if im trying to lower my damage intake.

Removal of shield bash was a bit stupid - i mean, we're prot ffs we use our shield.

agree the animation of the shield bash was epic =/
they could just lower it cd and make it in the tree talent if they didn't want to other jobs having 2 interrupts ,same thing with pummel
Reply Quote

retarded with you using it yea ...again
l2p

Your post makes no sense - also, how can i "l2p" when i clearly stated i acheived glad with it and obviously know the spec very well?

It was stupid, the ability to run nearly full PVE gear, 2shot people and lock down casters was simply retarded.

Whenever we faced a mage team, we would laugh because it was free points from the 4v5 we played against them.

I would suggest taking off your "biasglasses" and start to relalise how stupid the spec was to play against.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]