Topic Things that annoy you in RP
Right, as it's been brought up a few times, I'll add a dissident point of view to this whole "attempting" business:
I'm annoyed by people who force "attempts" into every single sentence and action, either to be super careful to never get accused of godmodding, or to get away with it.
These people come in two flavours: the first is the kind that seems to think it's necessary to attempt to breathe, just to add the perceived chance to fail (which, I dare say, is sometimes extremely unlikely). They do it religiously, and if you approach them with a "Hey you!" [/e tugs on XYZ's sleeve], they're the most likely to fly into a rage and accuse you of godmodding, as you didn't ATTEMPT to tug on their sleeve.
The second type are the ones who think putting "attempts" into an emote justifies anything. They're the ones who write stuff like [/e attempts to cut off both XYZ's legs and poke out his eyes so he'll bleed to a slow agonising death.] Granted, usually in far worse English. But I dare you to try and get annoyed by the fact that you'll now be writing awful circumventing emotes to avoid painful death. After all, they "attempted".
So the bottom line is, everything in moderation please. Even attempts. Use common sense, and go with the flow of the story you're telling.
In the meantime, I'll continue to be picky about my company, in no small part due to this kind of no-exceptions, rigid, forced and clumsy bull*#@@.
1. I don't like it when people stalk my character for no apparent reason other than the fact they have nothing better to do, he's a pretty private guy when he has a free period. It's also terrible when it's blatantly obvious that you're being stalked.
2. I don't like it when people group up during roleplayed battles and spam, spam, spam huge textwalls for the sole purpose of killing your interest. We're not all capable of lightspeed when it comes to reading and writing, and then some people have the audacity to actually %*!@* at you when you miss a small detail.
3. I don't like blatant elitism. Sometimes; I think people just get carried away and when they see one or two traits of a 'notsogood' RPer in someone, they instantly smash down the banhammer without giving it a second thought. This includes people that harshly judge others for bad grammar. English is a difficult language for some, what right have we to judge?
4. I can understand it at times when people might know my characters name, it's not exactly a secret but it gets a little annoying when they assume I'll be best friends with them from the get go.
5. Eclipseans. What in the name of felsausages are they?
6. Godmodding/Metagaming - I can deal with this easily but I don't like watching people %*!@* about it, especially when they're not even being godmodded or metagamed but use a term like 'oh come on dude, that's clearly nearing a godmod; how do I respond that?'. Pfft, nearly a godmod? I hate excuses.
7. Why is it that everytime I look into someones MRP; and they're playing a 'rare or exotic' race that it turns out they're always the following things:
C. Probably a hybrid of at least 'TWO' rare races that don't make sense in the slightest.
D. Pretty terrible at playing out their character.
8. Teenage Warlocks that can drop infernals on people; because someone with that amount of training can clearly control minions of the burning legion.
9. Death Knights - I don't understand peoples opinions on this; there's nothing easier than playing out an emotionless basketcase, like, seriously. Some people really shouldn't just pick this class for the high level involved; if they're not going to roleplay it properly, which to be honest is fellin' easy to begin with. " Suffer well. " " I don't care. " " I still don't care. "
10. People who make up abilities that don't belong in WoW at all. E.G: Summoning a Leviathan, this isn't Final Fantasy or Naruto.
11. People who complain about 'REALISM' in a 'FICTIONAL' enviroment. ' MOTORCYCLES IN SPACE! ' ..Yeah..
12. People who will summon objects or items out of nowhere to curry favour in an on-going roleplay. Example Being: " Oh no! However will I get the antidote in time, it's so rare and exotic! " " ...Hereh babycakes, hehehe. I ALWAYS CARRY SOME VAGUELY DESCRIBED ANTIDOTE AROUND IN MY LEFT BOOT! " It's annoying.
13. People who kidnap someone for next to no reason, 'poison' them and then claim the antidote is extremely rare and hard to find, -WHILE- giving them a two hour ultimatum to live. It's stupid and preposterous, not to mention overdone.
14. Sentances of mine beginning with the word 'people'.
15. There's probably a lot more I have that I'd like to add but that'll do for now.
85 Night Elf Warrior
I think when people complain about realism in a fictional setting, they are using it as a short hand for 'internal consistency'. Which is a perfectly valid complaint to make.
Lack of Internal consistancy.
When i can't do something i could realistically do, Ic'ly, that i can't for ooc reasons. For example when you can't kill another char just because it'd annoy the player. YES, i understand it's wrong. YES, i understand WHY i can't do it, and yes, i understand it's just manners. But it still greatly annoys me.
And if you approach them with a "Hey you!" [/e tugs on XYZ's sleeve], they're the most likely to fly into a rage and accuse you of godmodding, as you didn't ATTEMPT to tug on their sleeve.
These people. People who don't understand you can avoid god-modding without use of the word "Attempts".
More to come, probably
Death Knights who behave like randy, hormonal teenagers. You are dead. You have enough emotional trauma having been alive and now dead after a horrifying period of subservience without going around picking random fights to make yourself look cool. You are at best, an accepted ex-traitor allowed under sufferance into our cities and trust, You are not the hardest thing in the universe, Death Knights can be beaten, and are not omnipotent, last I checked, Arthas had been killed, we had a pretty big party in Stormwind when it happened, and he was pretty tasty by Death Knight standards right?
Brackets in 'say' in moderation I can excuse, sometimes- though I never use them myself, but continually, just stop it...Whisper the person instead.
Godemoting powerfights and the invincible opponents...i dislike emote fighting at best, but accept it as part of the game that occurs around me, but allow some realism to enter it, even Bruce lee must have missed a punch sometime ( Though clearly not Chuck Norris, whose roundhouse kicks have a 100% crit strike rate)
Ignoring the environment. How long, would you, Johnny Hardcase fighter, last, if you were in PVP trying to pick a fight in Orgrimmar ( assuming you're Alliance, inverse it if on Team Red) with not only the person you're emote fighting to deal with, but hordes of Orgrimmar guards piling in to stop the affray...the same would happen in Stormwind, if the guards acted as they would in that situation.... One day, those archmages in the Mage Tower are going to get annoyed with all the fights outside the Blue Recluse...:p
Most importantly....RP does not mean constantly trying to emote fight everyone you meet or talk to, if you do this in real life, you tend to find yourself in a prison cell fairly quickly....even gangsters and thugs don't try to punch every person they meet. Nor does RP mean having to be a unique exception ( in LRP I've heard it called the 'Drizzt' effect..."but I'm the only Good Drow...:P") It feels quite lonely sometimes being a Gilnean officer ( as if being a werewolf wasn't enough:P) surrounded by Half Dragons, Half Death Knights, Half Toast Elves and Sons of Illidan and the Terminator in a bizarre tryst they had when both were drunk... Exceptions exist, and are noteable, by the very fact that they are an exception...as in, not the norm....What's wrong with being a young Orc wanting to prove himself to the Tribe, or a Human soldier who has done some boring garrison duty and only now is allowed to venture out on more interesting forays?
Bad Worgen. Nuff said. Stop giving Gilneas a bad name. :P
However, Things I like: People paying attention to accent and Idiom of speech, and guessing your nationality rather than just assuming you are a Worgen when in human form ( very case specific I know, but I appreciates it :P)
People breaking your assumptions that you have erroneously leapt to, Example, was RP'ing with a cryptic type who overheard me saying I was setting off for the new islands that had arisen ( vash'jir) and gave prophecy of what would happen to the ship, and someone else made allusions to the Bronze Dragonflight and their ability to see the future...( Ho hum, I thought, another Dragon...) to which I responded with a certain amount of awe I would show such creatures, and how I had not realised their nature, to which their withering response was "I never said I was a dragon, just that I have on occasion worked for them" My bad, I assumed, and felt silly afterwards, I projected my suspicions on them, and was wrong.
Lastly, not an RP one as such, but just a nice thing that happened last night, to show I do love all you guys out there. I was farming for Frostweave last night, in a high respawn area, and an Alliance came along, I apologised for killing a lot of the mobs, as they were obviously questing, and left the area, they then whispered me telling me they were done questing there if I wanted to continue, which I found very courteous. Then, some hours later, in the same area, a Horde appeared, again, questing, I couldn't speak to them obviously so just exitted as soon as I noticed...I then got a whisper saying they were the Horde who had been questing there, and had made an Alliance Alt briefly just to let me know they were done and I could go back to farming....No, I don't remember names, but seriously, you Guys. Go Go Sha'tar....Awesome server, awesome people. ( I always feel bad when farming and someone turns up questing for the mobs you're happily murderising your way through :P )
... To be honest, I don't tend to mind that much in RP. Sure, it's a little strange that so many people choose to RP such unimaginative and adolescent characters, but ehrm. Well, everyone's gotta start somewhere, right?
It's nice when people are making an effort to improve or acknowledge their character's faults but really, it doesn't tend to affect me in the slightest who I RP with. Maybe I'm just taking too many tranquilisers.
Edited by Anuien on 31/05/11 13:42 (BST)
Whats with all the Deathknight hate xd my main is a Dk and i like to think i Rp him somewhat acceptable, he isnt all happy chappy but he isnt a depressive tard xD And Haru
"This includes people that harshly judge others for bad grammar. English is a difficult language for some, what right have we to judge?"
I agree with that one, I know im english and my spelling and grammear can be pathetic, and some itallians and russians have better english than me, but if someone makes a mistake i just look voer it, then again its supposed to be speaking so spelling mistakes aint that big since you just read them and yeah ... im rambling so spelling/grammar isnt that important.
Edited by Álapan on 01/06/11 14:22 (BST)
I found some more! how suprising!
Worgens goin around in their worgen form in public.
I have asked that myself in ages!
people who claim their char to be a Demon hunter/huntress and still walks around in over populated areas!
druids that acts like as if they were animals.......
yeah might be more.....
Continuing my list just a little.
16. Houses. It's starting to become a bit.. over the top. At one point, I was going to start one as well. ' House Dawnrose. ' I count at least five other 'House' guilds around at the moment. I'm not saying it's a bad thing and it could create some interesting RP, but it's starting to get repetitive. House Thandoran wins props for being one of the first!? *Highfives Alapan.*
17. People who @!%## and complain about RP-Addons. You do not need these to be a decent roleplayer; at all.
18. Roleplaying Gear. I'm never satisfied with mine. Whenever I think I've found something to wear that's even slightly unique, I'm proven wrong almost ten minutes later.
19. People who don't talk properly or don't make the attempt to use proper language that fits their enviroment; and when I say this, I really mean the people who talk like Amercian highschoolers in the middle of the recluse.
20. People who'll nitpick the smallest things from your accent to the size of your weapon. It's irritating.
21. I hate it when people complain about the new guild levelling system; just because they're not getting any members. -Anyone- can recruit members and set up a guild, all it takes is some time and a little paitence with people. It's a good thing that people aren't leaving their guilds and to be honest, if I was in a boring guild with a maxed out level rating; I'd still probably leave to find something much better to do with my time.
Continuing from my "More to come... Probably"
People who don't think magic has to obay the laws of physics. Even if it IS magic, fire won't burn without oxygen.
People who don't stay dead. Yes, kaz has died twice. I'm a hypocrete.
People who accuse me of twisting the lore, because they don't know the lore well enough themselves.
People with NO sense of logic. You can't dodge a bullet if you're ten centimeters from the gun when it fires. Nor is it likely to miss. (Similar to the laws of physics one)
Edited by Anuien on 01/06/11 13:37 (BST)
9: People who can rp giving birth once every 3 days ¬¬
10: people /w you saying you godmote if you can resist " the amazings and unresistable charms of an inubus" ¬¬
11: People Icly correcting your spelling :| ... like wtf i cant make spelling mistakes if im speaking you fool
12:Rare and exotic mounts used as everyday steeds... even worse when they are and have no story on how they got em
13:People claiming that can speak long lost languages simply because they have an addon that lets em do it... like an elf knowing Titan language
14: People in the same guild using (()) to speak oocly... seriously use /g chat
15: People claiming that have done complete unobtainable tasks like saving the world from 1000 years of darkness by defeating a godlike demon...
16: People refusing to Rp with you simply because your a Dk
17: Other Rpers complaining to you because a None Rp guildie came up to me and used /wave
18: Said people complaining in (()) because the non Rp guildie spoke oocly without brackets
19: when you do the /eye emote and the person feels the need to /w you a macro describing their character
20: Rape Rp .... Seriously! wtf are people thinking if they allow such a thing :| Im sure that sorta Rp is against some rule
1. "Ressurected" DKs..How is that even possible?
2. People RPing Darkfallen and demons
4. People who take IC stuff into OOC and vice versa
5. Gnomes RPing as children
Not even the magical fire? :)
41 Human Warrior
Unless you have either a device that can reverse gravity or forces or a super-strong magnet on one of your wrist but what is the likelyhood of having either of these is low, very low
Whether it shows through poweremoting, godmoding, more or less unjustified OOC criticism, or something else, there are few things which put me off more than lack of respect while roleplaying. I can go along with plots or interact with characters bordering unbelievable or lore-wise suspicious if I am allowed to choose how to react and don't feel like I'm there only as an object or someone to point fingers at.
I also have to admit that while I don't choose my company according to how impressive their vocabulary is, I tend to enjoy roleplaying with people who end their sentences with full stops, use capital letters / apostrophes and so forth more than those who... well, don't do that. Not everyone is fluent in English, but sometimes it seems that some people aren't even trying.
I'm even more annoyed at my own tendency to occasionally write completely incoherent and/or incomprehensible sentences and realise that my intention and input didn't meet. >_>
I'm not a fan of female characters detailing their chest size in RP flags, either, nor of characters of either gender whose weight would make one believe they suffer from an eating disorder (fortunately, these seem to have become rarer).
''Worgens goin around in their worgen form in public'.''
Worgen aren't my strong point but if I recall correctly they could only change out of worgen form and into human form for some random OOC reason but were suposedly stuck in worgen form..
Even if they controll it, I still don't see the problem?
Why should they not use their more comfortable form? Why should they hide who they really are for some lesser humans? (oh ho ho, it's the plot from the x-men movies 8D)
Do please tell me if I'm wrong, I admit I know almost nothing about the Worgen and would like to know more.
Now, back on topic, what annoys me:
People that ruin serious good rp moments by doing something silly.
Perhaps I am no longer as free-minded as when I was 16 and it takes a few minutes for me to actually get into RP nowadays so it really annoys me when someone gets me out of that mood.
People ignoring danger.
When there is absolutely no reason why your character should charge into that horde of enemies, why the heck are you risking your life?
When there's a dangerous person, why do you walk up to it and taunt it?
Oh, reminds me, worst of all...
People taunting other people or even entire guilds, atacking them despite knowing that the characters involved are ruthless (i.e Alot of the Forsaken) and then when atacked back whine that you can't harm their character!
It's like they're begging that you set them on fire in character and then out of character tell you that you can't set them on fire..
Oh and of course, as I complain about in every one of these threads (as they pop up about 4 times a year)
People who do not understand what undead means.
I don't care if you're Forsaken or a Death Knight, you are not going to have intercourse!
To all dead males: Your *#*** does NOT work, I am not buying any of your lame excuses, you're dead, deal with it.
To all females: You lack any feeling, I could stab you in the leg and it would have the same feeling as intercourse!
You are also not getting drunk if you've accepted that you're dead!
Now, a fresh Forsaken, perhaps, as tests have shown that people will feel drunk if they believe they should feel drunk, but other than that, no.
And dragon riders, no, you do NOT own a dragon any more than I can randomly summon a ship with wheels and wings that breaths fire.
That'll be all.