Sam's Guild Management Guide

(Sticky)

87 Tauren Paladin
Hello,

I have been playing this game on and off for a few years now and as I've just realised, most of them years were spent as either a Guild Master or an Officer in a few different guilds. I have acquired a bit of knowledge in the different methods and ideas behind guild leadership and I want to share them with you, just in the hope that I can use my experience to help newly come Guild Masters or newly promoted Officers.

***Disclaimer***

I'm not here to make myself look better than anyone or to suggest that you must learn from me because all my ideas are right. I simply want to share some insights.

This is all based on past experiences I've had with running guilds. I am not running the guild I'm currently in.

----------

Contact info
Samsquirtz@hotmail.com
or
In-game mail or whispers

----------

Officers
Officers, to me, are the most important part of a guild. They are the unsung heroes of guild management. I have had a number of wonderful officers in my time. People who were able to settle issues I couldn't myself. To make a guild successful you will need people like this, you will need reliable people that you can trust to hold the guild together when you're not on-line (because let's face it, we can't be there all the time). Officers can also be very helpful with creating guild events, acting as raid leaders in Raiding Guilds and sometimes just for keeping the members chatting and happy.

Recruitment
This differs with every type of guild so I will explain how to go about each way in each section below.

I will say a few words on the new Guild Finder system recently implemented though. This can be very handy for making recruitment slightly easier. I suggest you take a look at it and see how it can benefit you. It functions well for all guilds.
One problem with is that has been mentioned countless times is the lack of notification to a GM or Officers when a new player has applied. This leads to problems with invitation due to the player having logged off by the time the application is noticed. There are ways around this;

Add the applicant to your friends list and whisper them whenever they come on-line again
    Keep a regular check on your requests list
    Individually mail each applicant and ask them to contact you whenever they can. Be sure and mention what guild you are representing in the mail, some people may have applied to more than one guild.

Guild Websites
It is not necessary to have a guild website and some people will tell you they are useless but I disagree completely. Sites can be one of the handiest thing at a GMs fingertips. They are a great way of communicating with your guild, displaying screen shots of good memories, sharing information about all the different classes and roles and also they are very good for alerting your guild if will not be available to log onto the game for any reason.

They can also be a fantastic help to recruitment. If you list your guild site in your advertisement then people can go look at it and see a lot more information like raid times etc and can also use it to apply. Having a application section to your guild is vital for Raiding and PvP Guilds.

Here's a list of a few different Guild Hosting websites:
    www.wowstead.com
    www.guildportal.com
    www.guildomatic.com
    www.guildlaunch.com
    www.enjin.com
    www.ejeet.com

Guild Bank/Permissions/Repairs
When giving permissions to certain ranks in your guild you must be very careful that you don't give too much to people that you can't trust. Especially with social guilds you are apt to come across ninjas that just want access to the bank so they can steal whatever is available and then scurry off. So be careful.

Repairs are a nice incentive to get people to stay and make them a little bit happier. With the new guild perks it has become a lot easier to keep money in the guild bank so once you have enough you can always allow repairs to core members or whoever you'd like, it's at your discretion. To Raiding guilds I'd advise guild repairs to all raiders because wiping can be costly on the individual player.

There are many different things you can do with your Guild Bank and it's basically up to you and the needs of your guild what you do with it. Some ideas are to separate your tabs into different sections of the game i.e. Low level materials(to help people level professions), Max Level Materials(Herbs, Shards, Leather), Rares and Epics etc.
You can even have an in-Guild auction house where you could sell BoE items for cheaper than the AH. There are a lot of different things you can do.
Edited by Samsquirtz on 25/10/2011 16:28 BST
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Paladin
Types of Guilds

There are a lot of different types of guilds out there and I've managed quite a few of them. I will not get into my whole guild history for fear of boring you all to death and maybe making myself feel a bit too nostalgic but I will comment on the difference in guilds and the different ways they need to be approached in terms of management.

Perk Guilds
Since the introduction of Cataclysm these have started popping up everywhere, much more than before-hand. The reason is because of the new Guild Perks system which allows our guilds to level, much like our characters, from completing quests, dungeons, raids, battlegrounds and other such events. These can be done solo and as a guild group. Each level we get a new perk and obviously this has inspired a lot of people to go out and create guilds solely to obtain these perks.

If you are planning on creating a guild like this then prepare to encounter a lot of, how can I put this, bad behaviour, some unsavoury characters and downright ignorance. I've seen a lot of these guilds get very out of hand in their desire to get more and more members. You can easily avoid unpleasant situations by being a bit more selective with your recruitment. Remember, you're better off with people you can trust and get along with than a guild full of people who don't know each other do nothing together. Guild perks are nice but I don't think their worth the amount of spam and clutter overloading can cause.

Plus you have to think how hard it is to manage so many people. It is quite an undertaking and you will need a few devoted officers to help you out.

Social/Leveling Guilds
These have been around for years and pose a lot of the same problems as the Perk Guilds although they can also be very beneficial, especially to knew players. They are designed to help people get to know the different functionalities of the game in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

If you are planning on creating a guild like this make sure you have a basic knowledge of the game so you can help people. If you do not then your members will not take you seriously and your leadership will be undermined.

In terms of recruitment you can blast it wide open if you like, accepting any level, class or age or of course you may apply some restrictions of your own choosing. You may have an age limit; this is not unusual because some guild chatter can be for the more mature people. If it is then be sure to introduce an age limit to avoid children's mind's being hurt. :) Other restrictions can be things like minimum level requirement or class restrictions (although this is unusual).

RP Guilds - by Zhinlan

RP guilds are much alike to social guilds, although most of the time they are smaller.
I think this is mostly due to population on the server and guild theme (see below). Many of the RP servers are low population, and many of the players on a RP server aren't RP-ers. They arrived their on purpose (more mature community) or by accident (recommended server), but they aren't looking for a RP guild to join. This means the pool of players you can pick from is lower.

RP guilds often have a theme to their guild: military, light worshippers, race, pirates, mercenaries, tribal, ... and so on. Players will apply to a guild with a theme that suits their character. Someone who wants to play a guard will not apply to a guild with a pirate theme for example. When recruiting, be sure to mention the theme in your guild advertisement.

RP guilds will most of the time be open to all levels, and sometimes also all classes or races. A lightbased guild will most probably not recruit warlocks, and a guild existing entirely of tauren will not recruit a forsaken.

Some RP guilds include raiding or pvp in their program, just like a social guild. As you are recruiting all classes and levels, it may take longer to get enough members to make a valid team for this.

Many RP guilds require you to write an application on their forums, just like a raiding guild does. Not to see if your gear is good enough, but to have a bit of an inclination of your understanding of RP. Just inviting everyone and their little dog in your guild can make it hard to manage in the end.

And just like social guilds, having a guild where members get along well, and know each other is a big plus :-)
Edited by Samsquirtz on 24/06/2011 12:54 BST
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Paladin
Raiding Guilds
One of the hardest things to do right now is to set up a raiding guild and build it from the ground up. Most other guilds are easier because you don't need to worry so much about the recruitment criteria but a raiding guild you need to have a certain level of standards. The players you want are sometimes hard to find, they need to be skilled at raiding or at least willing to learn, experience preferably, dedication, time and above all they need to be able to communicate and take advise or criticisms from a Raid Leader. Players with proper experience will be harder to acquire because fresh guilds have no repute these days with the introduction of Perks and Guild Level.

I've seen people asking what's the best way to build a guild from scratch and I'll tell them the way I did it. A while ago I started a guild with a real life friend of mine (Co-GM and Co-GM, may not think it would work but it did, very well) and we started on a new server where we didn't know anyone. Recruitment was painfully slow at the start but I knew we'd keep at it because it would happen and it would be great. That's the main thing, you need to believe in your own abilities to do it.

Advertise in Trade (not too much though - no one likes a spammer) and on the Realm Forums. When making a post of the realm forums make sure it is easy to read and above all make sure it explains your situation, that you are just starting out and are looking for some dedicated players to come help be a part of setting up this guild. Interview everyone who shows interest, be friendly and get them in, once they are there you treat them very well, make them feel at home and needed. Eventually the members will start to build up, you may also PuG the extra few to get a raid together if you can, just to avoid your members growing stale or bored. The biggest thing I can say is to treat every member as well as you treated your first.

Now there are differences with 25 and 10 man raiding guilds. With 25 man you will need a lot more help from your officers because there is a lot more people to deal with and you will expect to have a bit more trouble getting the numbers in if you are starting from the ground up. 25 man guilds tend to be less personal and purely raid focused, not to say there aren't any out there that don't all feel connected to one another but with more people comes more distance, it's hard to talk to everyone. 10 mans tend to be a little more intimate, especially if you have the same 10 people raiding together, it's easier to get to know each other.

Lastly, make sure your Raid Leaders know everything about the fights you are doing. Make sure you have set up and declared a loot distribution method that seems fair to you well before you defeat any bosses. Use your guild site wisely, add and update any major information to it whenever possible or needed. Whether you are hardcore or casual don't forget that people are not infallible, if they make mistakes address it calmly and hopefully you can overcome it.
Edited by Samsquirtz on 08/06/2011 10:02 BST
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Paladin
PvP Guilds - All credit to our MVP Dalrian for this. Cracking job.

The difference between leading a PvP guild compared to a PvE guild is not that huge. There surely are differences, but in the end, both types of guilds will need a few officers, good communication and preferably also a guild website.
However, there are some slight differences.

Firstly, you can have different sorts of PvP guilds. Overall, from my experience, it works best to focus on Rated Battlegrounds quite a lot rather than keeping the focus on arena/normal BGs. It is possible to run a PvP guild which doesn't mainly focus on Rated Battlegrounds, but you will have much harder time and it probably isn't worth the effort.

The difference between leading an RBG compared to a PvE raid, is that for an RBG communication is extremely important during the fight, while in PvE, most communication is done before the fight.
You often see successful PvE guilds without any voice communication, because they can simply prepare for the fight. After all, a raid boss does the same thing every fight.

In PvP you will have to anticipate on what the enemy does, and you can't really set any tactics beforehand. You can set your tactics for the first few minutes of the game, but most of the times the enemy won't do what you expect them to do, so having some sort of voice communication is extremely important.

Many of those cost money, but there is also a cheap solution. I personally became a fan of the program called "Raidcall" because it's very easy to use and is entirely free, unlike some other voice communication programs.
Although it would be best if everyone also had a mic, that's not all that important. As long as the leader, and preferably 1 or 2 officers can speak, the rest only has to listen.

Aside from that, there isn't much difference between a PvP guild and a PvE guild. I personally like to encourage players to also run arena and normal BGs, and I often joined their teams as well, but that's not even necessary.

It also depends on what sort of guild you want to have, whether it will be a more social or a very competitive guild. For the more casual PvP guilds it will probably be good to join those events as well once in a while, and maybe organise some fun events like a big fight in the gurubashi arena, but for the guilds mostly focussed on results, that probably won't be necessary.

It surely can't hurt though, and it can be a lot of fun ;)

When I started writing this I intended to just share some insights, hints and tips but it has turned out more like a guide so I am going to label it as one and hope that some of you will like it so much that you will vote for a sticky. That would be brilliant. If you have any suggestions for anything I should include then don't hesitate to say. I'm very open to any ideas. Thank you very much for reading and I hope I helped in some way. Take care.

- Sam

P.S. I am now running guild with my Druid, Alacante so I will be posting on him from now on.
Edited by Samsquirtz on 08/07/2011 19:18 BST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Hey Sam,

Very informative giude with lots of information all in one place!

Sticky vote FTW.

I myself have taken a few notes from your guide and will impliment it into my current dabblings in trying to get a 10 man raiding guild up & running with two IRL Friends which i hope, like me, will grasp it with both hands and really push the guild forward.

Thank you for posting this!
Edited by Rahman on 08/06/2011 11:23 BST
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Paladin
Thanks for the vote Rahman.

I'm very happy that it's helping you. 10 man guilds can be a very nice place to spend your time in WoW, it's like a little family. I hope yours turns out well. Best of luck :)
Reply Quote
Community
Quite a nice guide indeed. Well done Sam :-)
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
This guide was of much help. Me and a friend made a guild together. We got a few members and then we got lucky. We recruited 2 players who dedicate a lot of time to the guild. They even made us a website. We are about 30 players now, but we are only 5-6 active members. (We got a lot of alts)
The 5-6 of us who are active are getting quite good friends.
Following your guide has helped!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
10/06/2011 12:44Posted by Mephismo
Also you may note that I am not in a guild. This is because my guild is taking a sort of hiatus for the summer months; real life issues etc. I hope this does not have an affect on how you perceive this thread.

Nothing exciting here apart from this
So why are you not in a Guild !
Are you posting on a alt ?
Does your guild remove you if you are inactive ?
Is your guild made up of students at uni who are all on summer holidays ?

Seriously, haven't you got anything better to do than flaming random people in random subjects?
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Paladin
10/06/2011 10:14Posted by Vaneras
Quite a nice guide indeed. Well done Sam :-)

Thanks Vaneras. Sticky?:)

You seem to be a very grumpy man, every one of your posts is looking for problems in what other people have said. I'll answer your question though:

My guild is made up mostly of students and we are on our holidays which we prefer to spend with our families and outside. My co-GM is actually abroad on course work for the summer. I've recently faction changed to Horde in preparation for September when we will reunite as a Horde guild.

This guide was of much help. Me and a friend made a guild together. We got a few members and then we got lucky. We recruited 2 players who dedicate a lot of time to the guild. They even made us a website. We are about 30 players now, but we are only 5-6 active members. (We got a lot of alts)
The 5-6 of us who are active are getting quite good friends.
Following your guide has helped!

Sounds very good Whelfc. It's really great when you get those members in that are as interested in the guild as you are, takes the weight off a bit. I'm happy my guide has helped. It's good to see guilds doing well. Best of luck with it! :)
Edited by Samsquirtz on 10/06/2011 14:27 BST
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior
Also you may note that I am not in a guild. This is because my guild is taking a sort of hiatus for the summer months; real life issues etc. I hope this does not have an affect on how you perceive this thread.

Mephismo, you fail. The fact that a disclaimer already disregarded all of these sort of childish reactions makes you look twice as stupid as usual. If you're trying to be funny however, you've failed twice as hard. Go play RIFT.

Raiding Guilds
One of the hardest things to do right now is to set up a raiding guild and build it from the ground up.

This quote is the absolute clutch in setting up a guild, you're totally on the ball here. Before people commit to your guild they want to see your credentials, and obviously those are few and far between with a shiny new guild. But when all the hard work pays off, having a tight knit 10 man raiding guild full of people who know one another is the most gratifying feeling WoW has to offer in my opinion. I hope you've inspired more people to give it a shot, I know I'm glad I did. :)

As for the guide, very well written Sammy boy. After the effort you've put into running and administrating guilds over the years, what you've written has come from some genuine insight.

Keep up the good work,
Carrioncrawler.
Edited by Limbface on 10/06/2011 15:25 BST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Edit: Decided to remove post so as not to derail topic.

Anyways it was a nicely constructed guide, and a good read.
Perhaps we could find someone to fill in the PvP guild part. (Pure PvE'er here myself)
Edited by Toris on 10/06/2011 19:22 BST
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Paladin
Edit: Decided to remove post so as not to derail topic.

Anyways it was a nicely constructed guide, and a good read.
Perhaps we could find someone to fill in the PvP guild part. (Pure PvE'er here myself)

Thanks for that Toris and I will try get a hold of someone with experience in the PvP end and get some info off them. :)
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Ok then I would like some proof that this guy has the experience to back up his claims.

Because as stated he is not in a Guild right now.

***Disclaimer***

No animals were harmed in the making of this post.

I rarely post, but felt the need to point out that you sir, are a complete t!t

This post was provided to offer advice to other players and that alone, why on earth should he ''prove'' (least of all to you) that he has the credentials to do so?

Cracking post that Sam, nicely written and very informative
Edited by Deathrobe on 11/06/2011 01:05 BST
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
Go get a hug or something, as i'm sure you need one.
Reply Quote
11 Blood Elf Rogue
Really like this :)

GJ
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Paladin
11/06/2011 01:05Posted by Deathrobe
Cracking post that Sam, nicely written and very informative

Really like this :)

GJ

Thanks guys, glad you like it and also big thanks to Dalrian for his contribution and insights on leading a PvP guild.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]