Difference with DX9 and DX11 graphics APIs

85 Human Paladin
Greetings.

I have looked into world of warcraft options and noticed that there is option for using DX11 or DX9 graphics API

Now I am wondering that which one would be more suitable to use for steady settings.

My hardware:
CPU AMD athlon 64 4600+
4 Gigabytes of DDR2 800MHz ram in dualchannel setup
Asus Geforce GTX 470 Graphics card.

In addition I get 5,4 score from Windows experience score and CPU is one that shows to be bottleneck here as others give ~7 score... Now what I wonder most is that how much of CPU power WoW needs if I want to record videos at same with fraps (assuming I got fast enough hard drives for that)
Reply Quote
The actual difference between DX9 and DX11 modes within WoW? There shouldn't be any major discernable differences. All of the differences is just backend stuff changing how the game interacts with your computer and your graphics card. I'd strongly recommend going with the DX11 graphics API.

All cards that support DX10 or later should be using the DX11 mode in WoW, as there is no reason other than compatibility concerns to be using the aging DX9 codepath.

As for the FRAPSing thing... I believe your system on the graphics side of things should be more than capable of FRAPSing in WoW no problem. Just download the software and try it out- Change ingame video settings and change settings within FRAPS itself until you find a combination of settings that works well for your system and most importantly, allows you to play without added input lag.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Yeah I have tried fraps but I am using resolution 1920x1080 and I can't record full sized film, dunno why (If I do it will be very choppy)
Reply Quote
Try setting up FRAPS to record in 30 FPS and at Half resolution.

That should lower the strain on the system significantly, though if you're used to playing at a smooth 60 FPS you will notice a certain drop in fps by doing this.

Alternate, albeit much more drastic, changes would include lowering the game resolution itself and seeing if that makes a difference.
Reply Quote
Customer Service
Having used FRAPs personally, recording in Fullsize is always going to be a struggle, ideally you need a couple of HDDs and a lot of RAM for it to do so.

The difference, performance wise its likely going to not be that noticeable between Dx9 and 11.
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Druid
If youhave more than one HDD make sure that you are recording Fraps to a different HDD than you are running your game on that can sometimes help aswell. Fraps uses the HDD alot when its recording can slow things down if it is recording to the same drive as your game.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Having used FRAPs personally, recording in Fullsize is always going to be a struggle, ideally you need a couple of HDDs and a lot of RAM for it to do so.

The difference, performance wise its likely going to not be that noticeable between Dx9 and 11.

Yeah I was thinking something like that but wanted to hear opinion of someone who has own experience with this.

I have scoped an upgrade setup but it costs around 1000€ so it won't be next thing tomorrow to buy.

Also I think that if anyone wants to record HQ movie with fraps he probably will need those Serial ATA III hard drives that have suffient performance for recording movies without trouble.
Edited by Arxroth on 04/06/2011 11:58 BST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
fraps and that resolution will not work unless u have some idiotic hardware config
my I7-2600k with 8gb memory windows 7 64bit 2 ssd's in raid and a wd velociraptor and a gtx 570 wont make smooth movies @ that resolution
try it @ half its should be fine
and sites like youtube and so wil also downgrade resolutions so no need for 1920x1080
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]