anyone able to tell me what an orc just said to me?..

64 Draenei Hunter
i imagine it wasnt a friendly greeting, but the curiosity is killing me!

'zugas zaga ag'

say whaaa?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
Exactly what is the point in this thread?
Reply Quote
80 Goblin Death Knight
Translating is kinda hard considering a lot of words come out the same but afaik Zugas = Wrong, Zaga = Dead and Ag = Ye. But as i said it can mean a ton of things.
Reply Quote
64 Draenei Hunter
the point is exactly what i said, wanted to know what the guy said to me, can't really put it any simpler than that..

i see, i kind of have an idea of what he meant then haha thanks
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
apparently blizzard want all alliance to think the only thing the horde can say is 'Zug' and 'Grom' in every line.
Reply Quote
64 Draenei Hunter
i think it would be much more fun to be able to talk to the other faction in a language other than gobbledy!!*@
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
I thought this too, and this was something they did have back in vanilla. But apparently there was abuse being thrown around between each others factions (OOH BOO HOO! CRY ME A RIVER) So blizzard removed it.
Reply Quote
64 Draenei Hunter
yeah but the nature of alot of people is to be a bit unfriendly so the minority of people who would have fun talking to the other faction suffer, well, suffer seems a bit of a dramatic word but you get me haha. personally i like giving hordies i see a little /hug :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The only stuff I know is kek (=lol) and maga grom (=rofl)
Reply Quote
70 Human Priest
You can't translate it; It doesn't work like that.

Words are turned into a small library of other words, depending on the amount of letters. The library is very small; so thousands of letter combinations translate to the same word. The Horde could have said a thousand different words that would have all shown to you as "zugas zaga ag". All you know is that it's 5 letters, 4 letters, 2 letters.

It's impossible to translate X-faction from the ingame system; Simply because the text is scrambled, not translated. Even the well known 'kek' could have been something els than 'lol'. There's only 12 possible Orcish 3-letter words, a LOT of letter combinations turn into 'kek'.

~Vaeil
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
bur
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
I do think it is partially translated especialy some sentences while others are just scrambled but that there is libary of some "prime" words (like lol) that are translated....
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
15/06/2011 05:42Posted by Vaeil
Words are turned into a small library of other words, depending on the amount of letters. The library is very small; so thousands of letter combinations translate to the same word. The Horde could have said a thousand different words that would have all shown to you as "zugas zaga ag". All you know is that it's 5 letters, 4 letters, 2 letters.

It's not quite as simple as that. When common gets 'translated' to orcish (or the other way round) each common word you say becomes an orcish word of the same length. The orcish word is taken from a fairly limited range of orcish words and, indeed, one of those orcish words can represent a huge number of different common words of the same length BUT the conversion is consistent. If I say 'potato', it will always come out as 'gromka' (I made that one up). Now although a large number of other six-letter words will also come out as 'gromka', the context can significantly help to understand what was said. Rather like the predictive typing on a phone (which reduces the 26 letters of the alphabet to 10 digits), it is possible to 'best guess' what the original message was.

If a hordie smears you into the floor and says 'kek', it's a pretty safe bet he said 'LOL' and not 'hat', 'egg', 'ant' or 'lip'. If he says 'kek uga grug' and you know that 'uga' usually means 'you' and that 'grug' means 'tree', 'blue', 'suck', 'slow' and 'went', again the context delivers only one meaningful translation: 'LOL you suck'.

There are, however, several reasons why nobody has made a translation addon:

(1) It's against the TOS.
(2) You can't account for the aberrant spelling used by many players.

While I'm on this topic, I'll hijack it and say that I firmly believe the ban on cross-faction chat should be lifted. Yes, there may be abuse, but...

- There is already massive inter-faction abuse. Have you listened to /trade recently? Very little gets done about that, so presumably that's OK? OK with your allies, but not OK in a conflict with your enemies?

- In Lore, it makes absolutely no sense. NPCs can freely communicate with both factions.

- Cross faction chat would be the only bone thrown to the role-playing community since the game began and would offer myriad possibilities for new activities.

- Most importantly: You can cross faction chat already via the realID system. Any objection on the grounds that it would unbalance the game, make it possible to arrange deliberate battleground losses or do something nefarious on the neutral AH fail because of this one fact. If it's already there for some and not causing a problem, why ban it for everyone else?

Reply Quote
It was a filthy stinking Orc, don't try and have a conversation with it, just kill it as slowly as you possibly can.
Reply Quote
70 Human Priest
@Vandya:

I know how it works, don't worry. Yes, one word will consistently 'translate', however, context can only get you so far. The best case scenario is to calculate the probability of something being said; Real translation is, as I said, impossible.

In your own example, the Horde might as well have said "lol you slow" - Which is less probable than 'lol you suck', but nonetheless an entirely viable thing to say after killing an opponent that tried to run away. Again: It's more likely he said 'lol you suck', but that's not a given: You simply can't know, both options are possible. You can make assumptions, you can make guesses, you can calculate probability, but that's still not translating.

The number of possible words is extremely large, and the number of possible 'translations' is extremely small. It's small even in the 3-4 letter range, let alone when we start using words 5+ letters long. Bar some extremely simple sentences, it's going to be next to impossible to even calculate probability.

X-faction chat was in the Beta, it was removed for a very good reason. I'm not personally against it, but I played an undead in Beta, it wasn't pretty.

~Vaeil
Edited by Vaeil on 15/06/2011 08:18 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
To be honest seems a bit daft that everyone can't learn to speak some other languge from other factions and to avoid abuse limit it to say. No whispering yell or trade chat

Maybe make it a proffesion like archeology is give up one of our secondary skills to learn it would definately make rp realms more appealing.
Reply Quote
80 Orc Death Knight
Zug Zug means, yes I agree, I think...
Reply Quote
70 Human Priest
15/06/2011 09:22Posted by Korkrag
Zug Zug means, yes I agree, I think...

Only in lore: The actual ingame language translator will not produce this result, and 'zug' can be a lot of 3-letter words. The actual lore behind Orcish has absolutely no influence on actual ingame usage.

~Vaeil

Reply Quote
80 Orc Death Knight
QW F R F K
O Y I
60 60
101 101
this translates to
NO A N A L
L O L
HA HA
ZUG ZUG
a bit childish but still fun : )
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
15/06/2011 05:42Posted by Vaeil
Words are turned into a small library of other words, depending on the amount of letters. The library is very small; so thousands of letter combinations translate to the same word.

Small like the library of words of an average player. Also that library mostly contain words that aren't actually words and some "words" are just single letters.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]