[Summer] The Sha'tar's idea mill!

90 Human Paladin
10/01/2012 12:58Posted by Ursala
In the past we as a realm have relied too much on Big Names, and I feel it may have damaged us; I think we ought to try and come around from that.

Absolutely agreed. It's created something of an environment in which people don't wish to take individual actions with events/guilds/branching out to people through fear of being harshly judged by the community. Roleplaying should never be about the size of your reputation, it should be about everyone getting the chance to express themselves without being victim to elitism or slander. If we all work as a team and give people a fighting chance, we'll be able to stabilize The Sha'tar as a much more populated environment.

Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
10/01/2012 13:16Posted by Haru
In the past we as a realm have relied too much on Big Names, and I feel it may have damaged us; I think we ought to try and come around from that.

Absolutely agreed. It's created something of an environment in which people don't wish to take individual actions with events/guilds/branching out to people through fear of being harshly judged by the community. Roleplaying should never be about the size of your reputation, it should be about everyone getting the chance to express themselves without being victim to elitism or slander. If we all work as a team and give people a fighting chance, we'll be able to stabilize The Sha'tar as a much more populated environment.

Yes, I agree. It only bred complacency, I know i'm one of the folk that did grow complacent and relied on others. Hopefully the coming weeks and months we'll have our forum laced with realm events and ideas.

Onto my original point, anyway. Would there be any interest in an event which the aim is to try and cull off some Scourge remnants in the Plaguelands? If fleshed out, i'm sure I can get some RP-PvP involved.
Reply Quote
69 Blood Elf Warrior
10/01/2012 13:36Posted by Thorodias
Onto my original point, anyway. Would there be any interest in an event which the aim is to try and cull off some Scourge remnants in the Plaguelands? If fleshed out, i'm sure I can get some RP-PvP involved

You ask this question yet I'm sure you're aware the Siege of Stratholme is in th epipeline :P
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
10/01/2012 13:38Posted by Aesiryian
Onto my original point, anyway. Would there be any interest in an event which the aim is to try and cull off some Scourge remnants in the Plaguelands? If fleshed out, i'm sure I can get some RP-PvP involved

You ask this question yet I'm sure you're aware the Siege of Stratholme is in th epipeline :P

Yes! I was meant to nudge you over that in-game, i'll do it when you're online later.
Reply Quote
1 Night Elf Druid
Posting on a random alt I found. Fear the ominous shaded level 1 druid. I'm sure what I might stir some discussion with what I am to say, all I can ask for is: Keep it civil :)

Anyhow: Dragon Roleplay. (I've heard about Dragon Tales on Alliance side, but as I've never been in that guild, I cannot account for that being lorewise correct and the like.)

Why isn't it here? The Normal, half-casual, Dragon Roleplay?

I mean, there's bound to be many -wanting- to Roleplay a dragon (No, I am not talking about those that go: "Lol I r dargon" or the like), but might not find the place for it?
I've heard people say that Dragons cannot be normal characters, since they are such a strong entity, with powers dangerously close to godmoting.

And if people haven't wanted to -be- the dragon, there has to be tons wanting to ride one (In its original meaning), or somehow else be dragonsworn.

Some of the ideas listed in here (By Edanna mostly, but then again, that's where most of the ideas come from) have plots that, in my opinion, almost scream dragon about it.
Allow me to fetch some:
19/06/2011 13:16Posted by Edanna
A Blue dragon threatens to ravage a settlement (or the countryside) unless someone teaches them a new spell.

22/06/2011 15:50Posted by Edanna
A giant egg appears in the middle of a town square. No one knows what's going to hatch from it, but it will happen soon.

23/06/2011 13:49Posted by Edanna
Spellwards holding back a terrible evil have begun to decay. Adventurers must gather scattered fragments of an artefact and piece them together to restore the failing wards

23/06/2011 13:49Posted by Edanna
A miscast spell yanks an objects from the past and brings it into the present

30/06/2011 10:24Posted by Edanna
A Twillight Ascendant (earth) is tearing up the farmland.

30/06/2011 20:48Posted by Edanna
An elf community's fruit tree grove is inexplicably dying.

02/07/2011 22:56Posted by Edanna
Convince a dragon to give up its hoard

02/07/2011 22:56Posted by Edanna
Raise funds from a dragon to start a thieves’ guild.

Lots of quotes :3
Not that I've any good ideas yet myself, but Dragons (of different flights of course) could and, in my opinion, should be implemented in the RP we have on The Sha'Tar.

Oh wait, I got one:
Dragon Aspects give up their powers after fighting Deathwing, what happens with the flights and their powers?
Reply Quote
69 Blood Elf Warrior
In the past we as a realm have relied too much on Big Names, and I feel it may have damaged us; I think we ought to try and come around from that

I think the problem isn't so much that we relied on the big names and is more that somehow this realm bred Big Names. I list the names and achievements that I know.

Mohlmaghn - Started the Drums of War, this servers first major PVP event.
Qualian - Ran the Blood Crystal Conflict, this servers first major plot and one that seems to have been, sadly, forgotten.
Monor and the Essence - I don't think I need to say anything else about these guys. While there were times I didn't agree with their plot and thought it was silly these guys brought the RP community together in a fantastic way and was probably the first guild to have all the Big Names of the time in it.
Geis - While he hasn't run any events that I'm aware of Geis was always making the videos and trailers for events and I am proud to have been a part of that creative process.
Chingo - I never played Alliance side but Chingo seemed to run Alliance RP much in the same way Grem ran it over here.
Gremkarc - Unfortunately I never took part in any of his events due to my hiatus from WoW but Grem's influence on Horde RP is undeniable. Especially seeing as every other character I see is from D&T :P
Skullsmasher - I know it's pretty vain to put myself on this list but, for the older guys on this realm, I really don't think we can deny I was always trying to do something for the realms RP. If I remember right the Shadow Fang Clan had a very active membership.

I've probably missed out people, especially Alliance side, but I never play Alliance and the old memory is starting to fail.
Reply Quote
69 Blood Elf Warrior
10/01/2012 13:54Posted by Astraline
And if people haven't wanted to -be- the dragon, there has to be tons wanting to ride one (In its original meaning), or somehow else be dragonsworn.

And then I make a Dragonborn character and shout these Dragon characters to death.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Reply Quote
Chingo - I never played Alliance side but Chingo seemed to run Alliance RP much in the same way Grem ran it over here.

Hehe. That's cos Chingo -is- Gremkarc. :D

But, yeah, I think there's a weird thing with big names. Does it breed reliance, is this realm actually unique in having them? I dunno. I think it's good to have some around but at the same time making them the sole providers for us and being lethargic because they exist just hurts the realm and the person being treated as a big name all the more so; it's pressure and it's drama as soon as something doesn't cater to everyone that it could have, etc.
So, yeah. What any realm needs is a variety of attitudes and people digging in and taking part, but big names growing is normal to it too, but I feel everyone should have opportunity to become a name and to not have that give them a huge extra dose of demands; it's still a video game, after all, y'know?

But in that same vein, one shouldn't feel guilty for not wanting to take up an organisational role.

Rambleramble.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Two ideas, idea the first:

A cross faction gladiator event, a several day event consisting of a market where groups come together to sell their wares, suprisingly enough. The main fighting event! People come together for a duel, ultimately to be crowned the greatest fighter. I'm unsure how to implement this, making it fair, I was thinking about having iLvl brackets, people with a certain iLvl pitted against people with a similar iLvl. But hey! Work in progress! Over the event factions can set up training camps, official vendors could be selling the city shirts (From the Argent Tournament), food and drinks.

Idea numero two:
A mysterious advert posted on the hero's call board is asking for seasoned fighters and probably healers (Yes it would be that vague) for a quest of great peril. The poster of this advert turns out to be an agent of Peril, a secret order of one tasked to find a staff, the agent is more than secretive about the properties of this staff but is always mentioning the name Frank when talking about the staff. The agent keeps their potential recruits interested with the promise of gold and items of magical importance if they help them with finding this staff. Anything you find on the quest of peril, you keep! (For this idea the leader of the event would have some semi-valuable items for people to 'find' throughout the event, these could be useful or powerful items for use IC.)
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I don't think people who run events need to or ought to be bigger personalities than regular RPers. I reckon it's important to emphasise that it's not necessarily a big deal to run RP events, and they don't need to have 40 attendants, and they don't need to be perfect first time, and the organiser doesn't need to then direct the RP community in their spare time.

This is so very very true.

10/01/2012 12:45Posted by Haru
Naturally, anyone can do this but I'd imagine topics like this are in place for those who're looking to play more of an influential role in the community.

I remember reading about these kind of discussions here aaaaaaaages ago in 2007 and I'm still trying to grasp the concept of those Big Names and Community Leaders and whom these mysterious figures might be. I mean, I just don't get it :-P

I've played on the Sha'tar since 2007, and throughout these years I've met many, many inspiring roleplayers - which I bet sounds familiar to many of you :-) But I never felt the need for some mysterious community leader to hold my hand or direct me in some way. I don't even know whom they would be, guild leaders of large guilds? Naa, that would make me one as well, and trust me I'm not seeing myself as one.

I've never had to rely on anyone to tell me who were the good or bad roleplayers. I have common sense and know how to apply it very well. I've spoken to some people who were branded absolutely horrible people by some outspoken aspiring Big Names, and guess what? These people were awesome, friendly and very creative.

It's a bit like how people thank me that the Lightsworn are awesome (which is of course the absolute unquestionable truth akin to 42) - it's not me which makes us awesome, it's the sum of the individuals who are in it! :-D

I've never relied on anyone to 'make' roleplaying for me, for that's just not how it works. As in most things, often you have to give before you take. Yeah yeah, innuendo will ensue I bet, but it seemed the most logical way for me to say it. :-P

I've always been extremely picky of what kinds of events I would attend, because they should make sense for me to do so. So over the years I've been to large events, small events, and everything in between - and of course had lots of fun (that's kind of my prerequisite^^). So I fail to see why someone who organizes a large event would be more of a Big Name to me than Bob the stablehand who just gave me a 2 hour long demonstration on how to fashion horseshoes while having an emotional chat about the state of Westfall.

To me, both these players would have the same Big Name value since they both gave me an entertaining time. And after all, the best thing with large events (at least for me personally) is the interaction with other players I would not have met otherwise.

And of course I respect those that devote time to make large events for others. But in the same vein, I respect those who devote time to make small events for just me.

So long story short, you're all big names to me <3

Man, I'm such a LS member now, derailing some topic with a textwall :P
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Well. It works like this;

When someone looks around or asks around for RP, or is new to the community and so on, they'll look for people to spend their time with and a place in the community for them to grow and prosper. More often than not, they grow accustomed to all of the banter between other players and names are thrown around for who to go for what criteria of RP you're looking for and the like, and the most popular candidates are always mentioned, hence the whole 'big name' thing. It's word of mouth that gives these people popularity and they use that popularity to bring more people together for roleplaying.

If we're using 'big name' as a term, then it pertains to someone who's reached something of a celebrity status, meaning they're known by a lot of people. People that you know and enjoy RP'ing with are big names to you, sure but what people mean by this term in-general is those of the community that stand out the most and represent active roles in the community; so people who construct successful large-scale RP events and create long lasting guilds usually fit into this. Of course, this doesn't have any basis on them as roleplayers but more like community leaders or spear-headers.

Essentially, what you're saying is that you'd treat any bum off the street who's entertained you as much as a big name as Justin Bieber(Lol) or some other well known entertainer, which of course is absolutely fine but it's not the definition that's regarded the same as 'RP Celebrity' which I too find absolutely ludicrous.

It's the individuals that create these 'big names' and then look towards them as examples of what it means to be an 'outstanding' RP'er. They'll alienate people that person dislikes, they'll hawk them around and more than likely begin emulating them so they'll fit in with the rest of the group. In short; it's something of a popularity contest for a lot of people, which again, is absolutely ridiculous. It's proven detrimental to the community because of the amount of walls it's brought up over the years between people who enjoys seperate sectors, themes or types of RP. If you never give people a chance, communicate or play with them and rely on 'big names' or community ramblings to make decisions based on who you want to play with, then it all just does really boil down to who's liked or who isn't liked by the community, which by no means should ever have any reflection between your characters.

And you might not consider yourself to be a 'big name', Gaeb but you're actually very popular and for mostly positive reasons if we're going by community babblerabble. You probably run the last heavy roleplaying guild on the Alliance side with an active, charismatic leader.
Edited by Haru on 11/01/2012 13:41 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
It's the individuals that create these 'big names' and then look towards them as examples of what it means to be an 'outstanding' RP'er. They'll alienate people that person dislikes, they'll hawk them around and more than likely begin emulating them so they'll fit in with the rest of the group.

On the Horde side of The Sha'tar, I haven't seen this happen since like... 2010? Mostly because there was no "group" to speak of. The server didn't have enough togetherness for that. Most of the people who came to my events, for example, only interacted with me at those events, and not in between them.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Warrior
I have been thinking about this for a while now: the Felfire Feud. It would be a storyline involving the demons in Ashenvale.

Reply Quote
The following list is not by me, but by Chris Perkins from Wizards of the Coast. The original can be found at http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dmxp/20120112.

The content is a bit unusual - rather than adventure ideas, those are ideas on how to complicate adventures when you thought you were done and could go home.

• The evil sorceress whom the heroes are about to kill turns out to be pregnant.
  • The artefact the heroes seek proves to be a myth or a clever forgery.
  • The heroes discover that one of their mounts might actually be a polymorphed person.
  • A monster befriends the heroes instead of attacking them, then eats all of their rations.
  • A lich’s phylactery turns out to be something the heroes are reluctant to destroy.
  • One of the heroes’ childhood friends or relatives has fallen in with a bad crowd.
  • The heroes present evidence that the queen is corrupt, but the king refuses to believe it.
  • A character raised from the dead inherits a family curse or is haunted by a family ghost.
  • A brigand whom the heroes are sent to capture alive dies while in their custody.
  • An NPC claims ownership of a magic item seen in the heroes’ possession.
  • The heroes plunder a tomb and are cursed by the tomb’s spirit to kill the one who hired them.
  • Someone the heroes trust is arrested on charges of conspiracy and treason.
  • The heroes must free vampire spawn from their evil master’s control without killing them.
  • When heroes start asking too many questions, they are mistaken for enemy spies.
  • A group of adventurers or doppelgangers has taken to impersonating the heroes.
  • The enemy the heroes face is a creature that they have little hope of defeating in combat.
  • The heroes must acquire something from someone without being detected.
  • The heroes offend someone with connections to a powerful guild of thieves and assassins.
  • A hero must honour an ancient pact or blood oath sworn by his or her ancestors.
  • An intelligent magic item confronts the heroes with some unusual needs or demands.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Giving this a shameless bump because it might aid all those who, like me, tried finding something for their turn to run an event (or any event).

It's still got great ideas in here, and it'd be a shame letting this thread disappear in the dark depths of the realm forum.
Reply Quote
Nudging this up again for good measure. Anyone volunteered for the community events who is struggling to think of something to run should take a look through here!
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
Always fancied bringing back the original Stormwind and Elwynn role-play with the Defias and the 'guards'. Always had that fun concept there, but it was fairly addictive to just log on and RP for the day. Wish those times would come back, as for Horde, well, role-play there just seems to have died over the past six months, I returned yesterday after not playing since July, went to Silvermoon in the mid-day and there were only two people, including me, who were there. What happened to this server? I can remember back in '08 when I used to log on and Goldshire/Eversong Woods were full of RP, not duelists and lollers. What ever happened to RP realm rules? Because I know for sure on this server, they aren't followed what so ever. Rant out.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
11/03/2012 13:00Posted by Roldor
went to Silvermoon

Horde RP moved away from random RP and more to a guild/community focused sort, this is partly due to to people trans-faring away or quitting the game in general.
Reply Quote
New material, mage-themed!
  • A charismatic mage wants to start up a new organisation within the characters’ home city. He might ask them to join, or, if they are already an established guild with some status, ask if they will help him screen applicants.
  • After many years of work, a mage-hater has killed off all casters in a region. Now he sits back and enjoys a world with no magic. He’s just one man, but characters entering his domain don’t have support to fall back on.
  • Two mages have been warring for years and nothing, not even duels, has allowed them to resolve the dispute. Both have supporters and their feud has become a symbol for all of the political struggles in the area. This fight needs to be ended, the situation defused, before an enemy takes advantage of it.
  • Two mages are “tying the knot” and wish to invite every spell-caster in the city. Unfortunately, they also have extensive non-caster families and the city’s guards, insist on keeping magic strictly under wraps during the special day. But how likely is that? And what would a wedding of mages be like, anyway?
  • A being that appears to be made of pure mana emerges from nowhere to challenge mages to single combat. It doesn’t accept refusal, but it never kills or injures its opponents; it merely leaves them devoid of mana. Rumour has it this being is the rarest of all: a celestial.
  • A mage working under deep cover in an evil cult returns in triumph — the cult has been routed and destroyed. Can the characters help him cope with life as a “normal” mage?
  • Someone — possibly a mage, possibly a supernatural being, even a non-caster — steals an artefact from the characters (perhaps while it is on loan to them from someone else). They need to get it back, but it makes this young man a formidable and capable opponent.
  • A gang of riders burns through the city, not stopping for any authority. They cause traffic accidents and mayhem, but they don’t stop. The characters can, perhaps, stop them, but they run on foot if need be. What is chasing them?
  • A horde of malicious spirits descends on the area. These creatures are invisible to non-casters (and ignore them, for the most part) but attack mages on sight. The mages must figure out a way to protect themselves, especially in their own homes.
  • The characters come into possession of a soul stone, but its creator claims it was stolen from him and that the characters must return it. The mage, however, has a reputation for instability and violence — does the cabal want to give up this obvious advantage over him?
  • A young mage shows up at a character’s doorstep and announces that she is the mage’s apprentice, whether they agreed to this or not. The girl proceeds to perform any task the mage sets for her. Will the mage take on the duty of teaching the young woman, or abuse her trust?
  • The apprentice mentioned above was originally sent to the characters by a mage from far away, someone with a local cult of personality but little status. He sent the apprentice and is willing to come to the characters and explain himself, if need be. He does tend to bring trouble with him, though. It’s part of his charm.
  • One of the troubles that follow the mage above is his ex. She knows secrets about him that she has absolutely no hesitation in revealing — they aren’t damning, but are embarrassing and likely to get his hospitality revoked.
  • The two NPCs from above are in the area making trouble for each other and for the apprentice, who the ex still treats as her own apprentice, whether she wants that honour or not. The characters are asked to settle the dispute.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]