virtualstore data <-> WoW folder data?

85 Undead Mage
I recently reinstalled windows 7 and put wow back to my SSD gaming HD. suddenly i lost a lot of space and started to investigate just to notice that the data, wtf, cache etc now exist in two different places. the WoW folder AND the virtualstore folder in users. both are big folders because of the data folder and i find it hard to believe WoW needs both. in which places are the actually used ones and which ones can i delete? (i could just try but i don`t want to experience any file association problems etc even if they are unlikely).
Reply Quote
70 Human Priest
Hi.

Virtualstore is a part of Vista/7's User Account Control. It basically means that WoW has no proper write access to it's own folder, and Windows dumps the files there instead, while pretending to WoW it's still in it's own directory.

Right now, WoW thinks it's files are in it's own directory, however, it's actually using the files in the virtualstore folder (Which might not even be on the SSD?). You could technically remove the files from WoW's main folder, and it should still be working via the virtualstore folder. (Can't check myself, sorry.)

However, you shouldn't do this. Instead, delete the virtualstore crap, and give WoW proper permissions to it's folder. Wow's folder should give read/write access, and not be protected. Note that if you don't set the permissions right, Windows will just remake the virtualstore.

~Vaeil
Edited by Vaeil on 17/06/2011 13:24 BST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
Yeah i was aware of 7 security but right now it seems WoW or windows (most likely WoW tried to copy those folders there all by itself without asking me anything and it resulted filling the whole SSD and the space was not even enough so the virtualstore things are incomplete. i am moving WoW back to one of my mass storage HDs and try to figure out a way to have the files in just one of the places.

Not very happy that WoW just decides to do something like that on its own without prompting a question if i want to do that or not.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
while pretending to WoW it's still in it's own directory.

This however is slightly misinforming as they are /would have been in both places at the same time taking twice the space and data folder isn like 26 gigs which is relatively lot considering the space of SSDs that are in affordable range -.-
Reply Quote
70 Human Priest
most likely WoW tried to copy those folders there all by itself without asking me anything .

Actually, it was Windows :) - WoW has nothing to do with this, let me explain:

This however is slightly misinforming as they are /would have been in both places at the same time taking twice the space and data folder isn like 26 gigs which is relatively lot considering the space of SSDs that are in affordable range -.-

Basically what's happening:
WoW is trying to read and write the data in it's own folder. Windows sees this, and then sees that WoW doesn't actually have the permissions to write data in it's own folder. Instead of telling WoW it can't do that, it tells WoW that data is being written to WoW's folder, but instead writes it to virtualstore. Any time WoW asks to read or write data in it's folder from now on, it's instead being given data from virtualstore - But told it's coming from it's own folder. The data in WoW's folder already is now duplicate, and can technically be removed.

This is Windows UAC's doing, not WoW. You can fix this by giving WoW proper permissions.

~Vaeil
Reply Quote
Customer Service
Thanks for the thorough explanation you provided Nananamagee, Vaeil!

It wouldn't hurt to give the game client full administrator rights:

1. Right-click the World of Warcraft icon on your desktop (or Windows start menu) and left-click 'Open file location'.
2. In the folder that appears, right-click the Launcher.exe file and left-click Properties
3. On the new window, click the Compatibility tab
4. Tick the option that reads 'Run this program as an administrator'
5. Click OK to save the change

Repeat the process for WoW.exe in the same folder.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
WoW is trying to read and write the data in it's own folder. Windows sees this, and then sees that WoW doesn't actually have the permissions to write data in it's own folder. Instead of telling WoW it can't do that, it tells WoW that data is being written to WoW's folder, but instead writes it to virtualstore. Any time WoW asks to read or write data in it's folder from now on, it's instead being given data from virtualstore - But told it's coming from it's own folder. The data in WoW's folder already is now duplicate, and can technically be removed.

You are probably right, i don`t have any excessive knowledge of this issue but it seemed a little unlikely that windows somehow managed to pull the whole folders to different location in flight and still keep the thing working. also the size difference was a bit odd but if the situation is as you explained it could be that it writes the copy as wow needs different things that would eventually lead to the folders being the same size.

anyway i`ll setup it like explained so i don`t have to worry about it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]