Maelstrom Was Created By Deathwing

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Okay, so far WoW lore fans have taken it for granted that the Maelstrom, the gigantic rift at the center of the Great Sea, was formed when the Well of Eternity collapsed into itself during the Great Sundering about 10000 years before WoW's timeline, at the end of the War of the Ancients.

This could not be further from the truth as I will show.

I call myself a Young Maelstrom Creationism Advocate (YMCA), I am an expert on WoW lore, and I believe that the Maelstrom was created by Deathwing around 1 or 2 months ago in WoW's timeline, when the Cataclysm began. Before that it did not exist in Warcraft lore. But when Deathwing decided to break out of Deepholm (which is literally at the center of Azeroth contray to what Elemental Plane theorists say, it's not in the Twisting Nether, it is merely cloaked by a magical layer beneath Azeroth's crust as can be seen in Deepholm's ceiling) he created this rift by shattering the World Pillar into 3 fragments. Why 3? 3 is the number of perfection. If it had been more, Azeroth may have all crumbled.

When the World Pillar was damaged, all the ground above held by this Magical Pillar crumbled and so the Maelstrom was formed. Deathwing then used powerful incantations to break thru the infinite magical substance between Azeroth's crust and Deepholm.

Aggra clearly states that the Maelstrom is a rift between Deepholm and Azeroth and that it threatens to destroy Azeroth. If it had been 10000 years old as War of the Ancients historians say, it would have destroyed Azeroth ages ago:

"We're at the center of the Maelstrom, the rift between Deepholm and our world. Watch, as it threatens to tear our world apart."

"Let us hope Thrall and the others can contain it while you're inside." - Aggra

So if it needs "containment" from the most powerful Shaman, why has it existed for 10000 years without harming Azeroth or the islands near it? The answer is quite simple, it is recently formed, created by an intelligence and as a deliberate act (by Deathwing) not by some random explosion. It is a known fact that the Well of Eternity never exploded, it still exists beneath the World Tree in Kalimdor.

Common War of the Ancientists' objections:

1. It's talked about in Warcraft 3. - "Maelstrom" is a broader term that can mean many other things, for example it can mean storm, there are also other smaller maelstroms in Azeroth.

2. Why doesn't the water fall into Deepholm, it should be flooded - Water cannot pass thru the magical substances between Azeroth and Deepholm, only living beings attuned (and their armors) can. Water simply cannot, it just keeps spinning.

3. What happened to 80% of the landmass? It is likely that the landmass disappeared NOT from the Well exploding, but by some evil Burning Legion magic in the final battle or a Highbourne spell gone wrong.

4. Why was there a Maelstrom on vanilla WoW's map then? Simple, Blizzard had it planned. Vanilla WoW is alpha Cataclysm, notice how the bosses are Ragnaros/Nefarian and there are Twilight cultists everywhere, especially in Silithus.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
A maelstrom is a whirlpool.

And you Young Maelstrom Creationism Advocates are directly insulting the Highborne Elf Legacy League, which has for ages recorded the history that you have so blatantly disregarded with this silly and baseless theory. As such, you are henceforth banned from Eldre'thalas and will be shot on sight with murloc droppings (highly poisonous) if spotted trying to access the anceint archives of the Highborne to further try and twist facts to suit your insanity. Good day, sir.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
So you would disregard the words of Thrall and Aggra, two great shamans, in favor of the words of the treacherous and reckless Highbourne?

They sure love to convince Azeroth that the Maelstrom has been there for a long time with "no danger" so that they do nothing about it. Highbourne = Naga and Naga = Deathwing/Old God servants, they would like to see the world destroyed.

Turn or crumble!

The Alliance is the worst btw, when Thrall journied to the Maelstrom to mend it, they tried to capture him near Lost Isles. Apparently saving the world is not a priority, displaying Thrall in Stormwind as a prisoner is... LOL... Like that would matter, Garrosh leads the Horde now, so Alliance accomplishes zero by capturing a now-neutral Shaman. (But they would destroy the world in the process, because their schools don't teach the controversy: that the Maelstrom is young and a real danger to Azeroth!)
Edited by Alaspar on 26/06/2011 12:41 BST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
I didn't read the whole thing, but wasn't the Maelstrom created by the Sunderring, when the Well of eternity went boom and blew up the world?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
From the lore section on this very site:
"As the aftershocks from the Well’s implosion rattled the bones of the world, the seas rushed in to fill the gaping wound left in the earth. Nearly eighty percent of Kalimdor’s landmass had been blasted apart, leaving only a handful of separate continents surrounding the new, raging sea. At the center of the new sea, where the Well of Eternity once stood, was a tumultuous storm of tidal fury and chaotic energies. This terrible scar, known as the Maelstrom, would never cease its furious spinning. It would remain a constant reminder of the terrible catastrophe… and the utopian era that had been lost forever."

As for the second well under the world tree:
"Illidan, having survived the Sundering as well, had reached Hyjal summit long before Malfurion and the night elves. In his mad bid to maintain the flows of magic in the world, Illidan had poured his vials, which contained the precious waters from the Well of Eternity, into the mountain lake. The Well’s potent energies quickly ignited and coalesced into a new Well of Eternity. The exultant Illidan, believing that the new Well was a gift to future generations, was shocked when Malfurion hunted him down. Malfurion explained to his brother that magic was innately chaotic and that its use would inevitably lead to widespread corruption and strife. Still, Illidan refused to relinquish his magical powers."
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Death Knight
Here is how i interprit it as to

The Maelstrom upon creation by the Well of Eternity Imploding was a great rush of water which began swirling to a raging vortex which was magically sustained by the reasonant power of the Well.

It was an artifical whirlpool but when Deathwing Exploded out of the Maelstrom there was nothing physical for the magics to be supported by and this when deathwing exploded out he took with him that magic and thus thrall need ed to come.

Also to defend tha alliance they quite likely didnt even know that he was heading to the Maelstrom as they would have said something like this when someone came up to tell them "What?! *Punches messenger* GO BACK AND GET THE TRUTH!"
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
26/06/2011 12:37Posted by Alaspar
The Alliance is the worst btw, when Thrall journied to the Maelstrom to mend it, they tried to capture him near Lost Isles. Apparently saving the world is not a priority, displaying Thrall in Stormwind as a prisoner is... LOL... Like that would matter, Garrosh leads the Horde now, so Alliance accomplishes zero by capturing a now-neutral Shaman. (But they would destroy the world in the process, because their schools don't teach the controversy: that the Maelstrom is young and a real danger to Azeroth!)

What's the point of starting that up?

The Horde is the worst btw,they destroyed there connection with the elements to destroy Azeroth and other countless worlds to feed their bloodlust! Clearly this is because their schools don't teach them how destroying worlds is bad!

Both factions are morally grey,if you think one race is evil by the worst it can do,then every race is evil.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
The Maelstrom HAS been present since the end of the War of of the Ancients. THE Maelstrom was mentioned in Warcraft 2 and 3 and it isn't just a Maelstom, it's the Maelstrom.

The rift between Azeroth and Deepholm was created by Deathwing recently, but not the Maelstrom itself. He simply used it's power to create the portal.

3. What happened to 80% of the landmass? It is likely that the landmass disappeared NOT from the Well exploding, but by some evil Burning Legion magic in the final battle or a Highbourne spell gone wrong.

It was destroyed and blasted underwater.

To be honest, you're just spouting jibbersih.
Edited by Archaos on 26/06/2011 15:39 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
From the lore section on this very site:
"As the aftershocks from the Well’s implosion rattled the bones of the world, the seas rushed in to fill the gaping wound left in the earth. Nearly eighty percent of Kalimdor’s landmass had been blasted apart, leaving only a handful of separate continents surrounding the new, raging sea. At the center of the new sea, where the Well of Eternity once stood, was a tumultuous storm of tidal fury and chaotic energies. This terrible scar, known as the Maelstrom, would never cease its furious spinning. It would remain a constant reminder of the terrible catastrophe… and the utopian era that had been lost forever."

As for the second well under the world tree:
"Illidan, having survived the Sundering as well, had reached Hyjal summit long before Malfurion and the night elves. In his mad bid to maintain the flows of magic in the world, Illidan had poured his vials, which contained the precious waters from the Well of Eternity, into the mountain lake. The Well’s potent energies quickly ignited and coalesced into a new Well of Eternity. The exultant Illidan, believing that the new Well was a gift to future generations, was shocked when Malfurion hunted him down. Malfurion explained to his brother that magic was innately chaotic and that its use would inevitably lead to widespread corruption and strife. Still, Illidan refused to relinquish his magical powers."

I would have written that the Well of Eternity that once lied at the heart of the Maelstrom and the Well of Eternity beneath Nordrassil are two different things, but it would be kind of pointless when you already explained it so well.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I don't think many of the posters here caught on to the satire in OP's post.

It's fun to stay at the...

26/06/2011 12:15Posted by Alaspar
Young Maelstrom Creationism Advocate
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior

yeah i thought this was quite an obvous troll when i read it
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight

yeah i thought this was quite an obvous troll when i read it

The fact that he shortened it to YMCA himself also gave clues in that direction.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
26/06/2011 15:57Posted by Requiànà
I would have written that the Well of Eternity that once lied at the heart of the Maelstrom and the Well of Eternity beneath Nordrassil are two different things, but it would be kind of pointless when you already explained it so well.

Disagree, for example, if a Well of Eternity can cause a tree to grow gigantic, then we would see such a tree at the Maelstrom as well... or we would at least see EVIDENCE of broken logs or leaves from when the old tree exploded. Nothing of that sort has ever been found.

It was destroyed and blasted underwater.

If that is true, then why is Kezan and Lost Isles still standing, considering their proximity to the Maelstrom? They would have been the first pieces of land to go, but yet they're still there.

The Maelstrom HAS been present since the end of the War of of the Ancients. THE Maelstrom was mentioned in Warcraft 2 and 3 and it isn't just a Maelstom, it's the Maelstrom.

Remember that Thrall on his way to Kalimdor the first time, he went to the center of the Great Sea... but he didn't find some magical whirlpool created by random explosion. He found a troll island of the Darkspear. Perhaps that is linked in some way. Maybe the witch sunk it and Deathwing used the magical residue to sink it completely and cause a massive hole in Azeroth's crust...

BTW, you know the rocks at the Maelstrom? They don't look 10000 years old, they look very recent, like the explosion of the Cataclysm made them only recently.

I see most of you get your information from wowwiki. It's a shame that wowwiki is so biased in favor of old Maelstrom and War of the Ancient version. They should present both sides of the controversy and let lore fans decide what they want to believe.

Aggra's words are very clear. Maelstrom IS the rift and the rift is only a few months old, not 10000 years.
Edited by Alaspar on 26/06/2011 20:41 BST
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
I usualy dont troll but i have to ask this: Are you out of your mind!?! Have you read even a SINGLE page of lore!?!

(which is literally at the center of Azeroth contray to what Elemental Plane theorists say, it's not in the Twisting Nether, it is merely cloaked by a magical layer beneath Azeroth's crust as can be seen in Deepholm's ceiling

The elemental plane exists in a paralel-like-universe and the mealstrom is simply a rift that made you able to get into it. The fact that deathwing came out of the mealstrom was that the mealstrom already was a magicly destruction thingy and therefore deathwing could use that to create a rift between deepholm and Azeroth. Before Deathwing broke throught it was mearly a giant spinning magical vortex.

So if it needs "containment" from the most powerful Shaman, why has it existed for 10000 years without harming Azeroth or the islands near it? The answer is quite simple, it is recently formed, created by an intelligence and as a deliberate act (by Deathwing) not by some random explosion

As i said before the mealstrom wasn't that big of a danger before Deathwing broke trought it. Magra says that the mealstrom treathens to destroy the world but what she means is that the mealstrom will soon collapse resulting in Deepholm collapsing into Azeroth destroying both the elemental place and azeroth.

Why doesn't the water fall into Deepholm, it should be flooded - Water cannot pass thru the magical substances between Azeroth and Deepholm, only living beings attuned (and their armors) can. Water simply cannot, it just keeps spinning

That is because, as i have said before, the mealstrom is a magical vortex therefore the water inside it is also "magical". Besides i think that the fact that the water kinda IS the rift i cant pass into Deepholm. Just like a bridge cant go over itself to get to the other side. Is psysicaly impossible.

It is a known fact that the Well of Eternity never exploded, it still exists beneath the World Tree in Kalimdor.

I have NEVER facepalmed SO hard im my life. SRSLY!?! A KNOW FACT!?! How can you call yourself a lore freak. The Well of Eternity imploded when Saragaras almost got into Azeroth, but Azhara got disturbed and then it imploded. But Illidan got addicted by the magic so he took some of the wells magical water and spilled it on the lake under the World Tree and then forming a NEW Well of Eternity.

Dude i suggest you go to this webpage: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/game/lore/#latest-story-so-far. READ EVERYTHING and THEN come back here and say all those things that you "know"
Edited by Enur on 28/06/2011 12:18 BST
Reply Quote
It would seem that the Young Maelstrom Creationism Advocates attracted the Village People.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
This is a joke thread people, albeit a good one. I realised that at "I call myself a Young Maelstrom Creationism Advocate (YMCA)".
Reply Quote
50 Night Elf Mage
So you would disregard the words of Thrall and Aggra, two great shamans,

I see so you would regard the word of aliens about a 10,000 year old landmark, aliens that reportedly as a species are little older than a few thousand years on their own world, you would take over that of those who witnessed its formation.

WEll all you need do is go to the MAelstrom yourself, oh there is a rift between deepholm and there, but deepholm does not lie beneath the maelstrom, ist is in a nother dimension, a rift was fromed at the maelstrom when deathwing emerged, why the maelstrom? ask the one who sits at the bototm of it doing Goddess knows what.

I can assure you if you swim to its depth you would see the majority of the ruins of Zin'Azshari and theexpanse of the Naga capital of Naz'jatar. You needed a shaman to enter deepholm through the rift,.

Despite their youth, you sir a disgrace to our kind with such mindless theories, you should know better, you stink of Bloodthistle too. Young as they maybe, don't go mis-interpreting their words nduse that as the basis for your arguement, a formed rift is not the source of the maelstrom, a rift was formed at the surface of the maelstrom when deathwing tore free. You have been demoted to Year 9, you must take remedial studies in how to read and how to understand.;;;[EDIT] wait! That requires intelligence, on2nd thoughts just stick to whacking that sword of yours on anything that attacks you, leave the theory crafting to the experts
Edited by Aradora on 28/06/2011 16:29 BST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
The water that you see above you when you quest in Deepholme is the realm of Neptulon, not Azeroth's ocean.
Reply Quote
83 Troll Hunter
26/06/2011 13:36Posted by Deathremar
I didn't read the whole thing, but wasn't the Maelstrom created by the Sunderring, when the Well of eternity went boom and blew up the world?

... Read the whole thing, dummie.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
So you would disregard the words of Thrall and Aggra, two great shamans, in favor of the words of the treacherous and reckless Highbourne
but YOU ARE a "treacherous and reckless Highbourne". Or a direct descendant of them.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]