windows\syswow64\data world of warcraft files

85 Blood Elf Paladin
On my c drive in the folder windows\syswow64\data some world of warcfrat files are constantly downloading themself every time I launch wow. My world of warcraft is installed on another hard drive so im clueless to why these files need to be there since I can delete them when I have wow running without them being in use.
the files are as followed:
Expansion 1,2,3.mpq
all the
wow-update-base.mpq's
Sound and World.mpq
and
Art.mpq

Is there a way to avoide these files clogging up 15 gigs of space on my c drive?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Funny, I do have the folder syswow64, but it doesn't contain the subfolder data. And my syswow64 folder has nothing to do with World of Warcraft (it is a Windows folder for 32bit support).

No clue why there is any World of Warcraft file in there.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I know its really wierd, from what I have read it might have something to do with compatibility when running 64bit. but the wierd part is that the files arent in use, and when I delete them and run wow it downloads them thru the launcher.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Check: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Blizzard Entertainment\World of Warcraft

And see if it has the right path for the installation.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Game and Install path are both on the correct hard drive. E:\Games\World of Warcraft.
This is really wierd.
Reply Quote
Tried to delete the data folder from syswow64 and worked fine but sometimes the launcher do it again and so on, really weird
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
after deleting the files over and over again it has stopped downloading them thru the launcher, so I guess the problem solved itself.
Reply Quote
Customer Service
Hi,

The syswow64 is not related to World of Warcraft but is a required Windows folder, as it allows you to run 32bit applications on a 64bit Windows platform without comparability problems.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Hi,

The syswow64 is not related to World of Warcraft but is a required Windows folder, as it allows you to run 32bit applications on a 64bit Windows platform without comparability problems.

I don't believe this actually solves the mystery... I've had the same problem as Noim, and I'd like to know why those world of warcraft files have to be in that folder taking up all that space - I've had several problem where my PC warned me that I didn't have enough space on my system drive and my PC needed at least 200 MB of free memory on the system drive to run stable. While my PC us in this state, caused by the files taking all the space, it runs so slow and barely responds to anything. So yeah, I'd like if you could tell me how to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Cheers. :)
Edited by Argonil on 30/07/2011 02:23 BST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
My problem just kinda solved itself after I deleted the files a couple of times. I cant explain why or how this happend but the problem isnt occurring for me anymore and havent happend since my last post. but still since the syswow64 folder has nothing to do with world of warcraft its a mystery why the game would download itself into it.
Reply Quote
I had the same problem. My SSD-drive, which is only 80 GB was clogging up due to the C:/Windows/SysWOW64/Data folder in Windows (which is full of WOW-files). After a while I collected 15 GB of WOW data wich is nearing 20% of my total SSD-capacitiy!! Processes were slowing down because of this while I ran out of space, so Windows had difficult time to allocate space somewhere else.

People have been deleting the C:/Windows/SysWOW64/Data directory, but as a result the WOW-Laucher happily restarts downloading the deleted files ;) So don't do that!

SOLUTION:
I tested this and this does work definitely and it works for both Windows Vista and 7! Create a symlink. How? Copy all the data in the C:/Windows/SysWOW64/Data to a location where it does not bother you (e.g. different drive). Then create a symlink from C:/Windows/SysWOW64/Data to that folder you have just created. If this is a big hassle for you, this program makes it easier http://dirlinker.codeplex.com/ it will create the link for you. Everybody that came this far to understand that the SysWOW64 folder is clogging up your drive space, will find out how to make this work :)

Please let me know if this helped for you!
Edited by Palthunder on 13/08/2011 13:31 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]