Account created using friends e-mail.

80 Blood Elf Priest
Hey,

Im posting this here on behalf of a friend because neither of us have any idea how to resolve his issue.

Basically, he received an e-mail that was in chinese with some English. Running it via google translate, and checking the links on it, we have been able to find out, and this is for definate, that someone has created a US battle.net account using his email address.

The email he got is basically the one asking you to verify your email, and the link for it is 100% legitimate. The link itself goes to: https://us.battle.net/account/email/confirm.xml?ticket=(removed just incase). We basically tried it out by disconnecting a computer from the internet entirely, and clicked the link as well, and this was the page it attempted to go to.

So far we can tell its not been activated as the e-mail is a day old and was unread in his inbox. So we do not thing the e-mail has been compromised and that the person is just hoping we were dumb enough to activate for him. In anycase the e-mail address password has been changed to be safe. He also runs the e-mail from his own domain and webserver and checked the logs and it has not been accessed by anyone other than himself.

However the only issue left now is dealing with this rogue account. We cannot be 100% sure its not been activated as they may have found a way, but either way my friend wants it gone as he doesn't want someone using an account thats connected to his email address.

We are just unsure about who to contact because its a US battle.net account and since we are in the UK we have no idea what to do. I don't think he would want to spent a load of money calling all the way to America to speak to the US support, and we are unsure if the EU support can do anything about an account created in America. As well as this we are not even sure how to go about proving anything in this situation.

So if anyone can provide any idea about what we can do please can you post and reply adn advise us. Sorry for the long post as well, I just wanted to make sure all possible relevant information was included.

Thank you :D
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
10/07/2011 17:19Posted by Karmia
Basically, he received an e-mail that was in chinese with some English

Stop right there. Why would Blizzard in the US be sending an email to you, or to anybody, that was in Chinese?

The email he got is basically the one asking you to verify your email

It's fake.

We basically tried it out by disconnecting a computer from the internet entirely

So you didn't actually try to make a live connection then?

It's definitely fake.

Delete it and forget about it.

M.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
Basically, he received an e-mail that was in chinese with some English

Stop right there. Why would Blizzard in the US be sending an email to you, or to anybody, that was in Chinese?

If someone made an account with Chinese as their chosen language, but US as their chosen region.
The email he got is basically the one asking you to verify your email

It's fake.

E-mail verification is very real, infact. (Verifying your account to avoid being banned, however, is not)

We basically tried it out by disconnecting a computer from the internet entirely

So you didn't actually try to make a live connection then?

It's definitely fake.

Delete it and forget about it.

M.

They disconnected their internet in case it was a fake link, while unnessecary if you know how to read the source, a great way to make sure the link is going to the site it's asking you to go to without actually visiting the link.

Given their testimony it was likely a legitimate e-mail.
Edited by Fiskerdin on 10/07/2011 17:47 BST
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
They disconnected their internet in case it was a fake link, while unnessecary if you know how to read the source, a great way to make sure the link is going to the site it's asking you to go to without actually visiting the link.

Given their testimony it was likely a legitimate e-mail.

Sorry, should have added in that the source was indeed checked as well, and everything in it points to it being from Blizzard as well. Everything lines up that it is a genuine e-mail. It was also filtered into a folder where all his whitelisted e-mails come from which is the only reason this one was paid any attention.

Just to clarify, its asking for e-mail address verification, basically it seems someone has created an account using the e-mail, nothing more, nothing less at this point. My best guess is that they are harvesting e-mails and creating accounts with them to use for gold farming when people click the links and verify. Probably to avoid the block bans when they make accounts all using the same domain.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
If it's legitimate, then you probably need to contact US customer support and ask them to close the account. I would try http://us.blizzard.com/support/index.xml?locale=en_US and use the "contact support" option to see if that helps.

Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Priest
Oddly enough, looks like there are other targets of this: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2364427242

This is just a few posts above mine in the forum listings, but im linking incase anyone searching reads this thread.

My friends e-mail is for the same name "Mr Ya" and is essentially the exact same e-mail. There is a blue response in the thread I linked as well explaining what to do.
Reply Quote
Customer Service
Hi there, Karmia.

This is, unfortunately, a legitimate email. We're still investigating this so I'm afraid that I don't have an explanation to offer you, but there are few things your friend (and anyone else that receives one of these emails) can do:

If you have any other questions please ask and we'll do our best to answer them.

Hope that helps. :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]