Real-life money auction house!

90 Dwarf Hunter
Anyone complaining about this has clearly never played D2.

This is my thoughts summed up in one sentence.

I think a lot of players are seeing this with WoW eyes. But Diablo isn't WoW.

Within the Diablo community, trading outside the game has always existed, and has always been extremly popular with the community. That form of trading is there to stay. Blizzard can't eliminate that. And as a hardcore Diablo fan, I'd almost say that Blizzard would be stabbing their most devoted fans in the back if they did attempt to eliminate this form of trading.

And in my opinion, Blizzard are doing the right thing here. The outside-the-game form of trading is just a venue for the really devoted players who want to take the game a step further, which is the same thing that the various trading websites for Diablo II provide.
But there's no reason why players should have to explore fishy chinese-hosted websites and other dark corners of the internet in order to really involve themselves in the trading aspect of Diablo. It's far better if Blizzard aims to support that desire by creating a secure, easy to access, and player friendly system where players can engage in that form of trading without any worries.

And lo and behold, they are doing exactly that. Yay!

Righty oh then.

And no mods? And online only?

They obviously have everyone's best interests at heart here.

Their own.

There can be no grey area about this. Bringing in real world cash into a MMO online economy could create rifts in the playerbase, and if it starts in D3, then where in the green earth will it end?

No. Just no. Keep this kind of thing out of games.
Edited by Frazzlebeard on 01/08/2011 22:34 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I must admit i'd be very tempted to buy really good gear with real life money.
But.
It takes away the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction you get when you down a boss and get a really good piece of gear. If you don't have to earn it then people won't even try.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
But.
It takes away the sense of accomplishment and satisfaction you get when you down a boss and get a really good piece of gear. If you don't have to earn it then people won't even try.

If D3 is anything like D2 in terms of item drops there's no real sense of accomplishment in that. You get an MF runner and you farm your little socks off until something of use drops. 90% of the time it wont be any use to your main toon even.

Thus is the way of arbitrary loot tables.

There's no real sense of accomplishment in running a meph/pindle/cave run for the 3982'th time only to find a rare dagger with +1 to fail and 34 win resist.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
In wow, blizzard is totally against buying stuff in-game for real money, now they make a whole new game making you only able to get gear from buying it with real money? I find this stupid. I don't understand why they do this, don't they earn enough money through wow with our monthly fee we have to pay? Also, this can become unfair to some people who doesent have enough money to pay for it, and therefore has to quit the game since they can't get as good gear as some other players.
Edited by Melinii on 01/08/2011 22:49 BST
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
01/08/2011 22:47Posted by Melinii
In wow, blizzard is totally against buying stuff in-game for real money, now they make a whole new game making you only able to get gear from buying it with real money? I find this stupid. I don't understand why they do this, don't they earn enough money through wow with our monthly fee we have to pay?

Way to completely misunderstand not only the system in question, but the game style in which it is being implemented into.

Also no, they don't get enough money. Thus they come up with new ideas to make more! God forbid a business to do so eh?

It seems you truly don't understand.

Also, this can become unfair to some people who doesent have enough money to pay for it, and therefore has to quit the game since they can't get as good gear as some other players.

And what exactly is stopping people from selling some items they come across to fund gear they do need? Its a FFA system after all.
Edited by Leonara on 01/08/2011 22:56 BST
Reply Quote
1 Orc Warrior
U srs? Well I know one thing for sure, Chinese prisons will have more and more prisoner's....
Reply Quote
There seems to be a funny misunderstanding about real life currency fluctuating around these forums. People seem to think they can farm some rare items quite easily and sell them, gaining instant cool cash. If you sell an item, it means there is a buyer. Your money doesn't magically appear, it comes from somebody who paid for it.

Now I'm well aware there are people out there willing to buy gear, and I think there is some cash to be gained at the beginning of D3, but think about it, who wouldn't want to sell meaningless pixels for money; money which is ultimately what each of us live for (to a relative extend).

Consider how many sellers vs. buyers there are, and remember that Blizzard is also taking a fee to set up the item whether it's sold or not, and an extra fee if the item is sold. A few weeks into the game you will find the market so incredible inflated because of the known consequence of unbalanced supply and demand.

It's very likely that you'll end up earning a few cents, but even more likely that you'll in the end lose money because of Blizzard's cut for setting up an item. Who wouldn't want to make money playing a game? It sounds a bit too good to be true; well it is.
Reply Quote
Well to begin, I'd just like to point out that the only reason I'm bothering to post this is because (from the real ID mess a while back) negative reviews on forums can make blizzard change their mind.

So here's my opinion on this: I just lost all my hype for Diablo 3...
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Great now noobs can get OP gear the second they reach in to mommy's purse with her credit card in it
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Great now noobs can get OP gear the second they reach in to mommy's purse with her credit card in it
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
But.

If D3 is anything like D2 in terms of item drops there's no real sense of accomplishment in that. You get an MF runner and you farm your little socks off until something of use drops. 90% of the time it wont be any use to your main toon even.

Thus is the way of arbitrary loot tables.

There's no real sense of accomplishment in running a meph/pindle/cave run for the 3982'th time only to find a rare dagger with +1 to fail and 34 win resist.

i dont play D2, wow is the only game i play and i was relating to that :P
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Gnome Priest
01/08/2011 22:30Posted by Frazzlebeard
And no mods? And online only?

No mods is for the sake of keeping a simplistic approach to the game. I think that's cool. If you look at WoW, then you have to admit that the addon scene is a jungle in itself to venture around in. And more philosophically, I suppose you can say that if a WoW player needs 50 addons before he feels he can play WoW properly, then there's perhaps something fundamentally wrong with the default UI...

Online play I don't get the fuzz about. Who the hell doesn't have an internet connection these days?
It also makes it easier in terms of achievements and progress and such, that players can't just "practice" in singleplayer. It's the same concerns as there were for SC2 I guess, and that turned out okay despite all the doom-saying.

Also, this can become unfair to some people who doesent have enough money to pay for it, and therefore has to quit the game since they can't get as good gear as some other players.

That's viewing the game through the eyes of a WoW player. Diablo isn't WoW.
The reason why this isn't an issue is because in Diablo III it doesn't matter.

Looking at WoW first, then it's very competitive. You need top-notch gear so you can defeat those stupid horde players in Battlegrounds or Arenas, so you can get higher ratings, so you can earn awesome mounts and titles. Gear is essential to those goals.
You need top-notch gear so your guild can compete for server first boss kills and what not. Again, gear is essential to reaching that goal.
In many aspects of the game, WoW aims to pit players against each other. It's often about being better than everyone else, having accomplished more than everyone else, and faster than everyone else.

Diablo is not that type of game. Diablo III only has one form of PvP, which is its Arenas. But there's no rating or super awesome gear or gladiator-only mount involved. It's just casual PvP for the sake of it.
Diablo III doesn't really allow players to compete against each other either. There's no such thing as world-first kills or realm-first 525 cooking, or similar.
Whenever you play with others in Diablo, then you play with them. Wheather you have worse or better gear than everyone else doesn't really matter, because you're all working toward the same goal - togeather - i.e killing demons and zombies and what not.

In Diablo III the desire to get better gear is a selfish desire that (some) players have because they enjoy slaughtering demons even faster, and with even more spectacular weapons and such. But it's not a requirement to have success in the game. You can play the game from start to finish without ever having to engage in any form of trading. It's totally optional.

In WoW it's very difficult to be a successfull PvEer (for example) and at the same time not care about the quality of your gear. It is required that you care about your gear if you want to have success in WoW when it comes to dungeons and raids.
In Diablo it isn't. It's an option, not a requirement. And in that way, the whole auction house feature is also just an option, it's not something you have to use to enjoy the game, or be successfull at it.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I enjoy playing the WoW AH and makings lots of gold, when you start adding real currency to the mix however, it stops becomming fun and becomes serious. I have no doubt people will make money off the system implemented in Diablo 3, but i truely hope it never comes to WoW.

The WoW community is simply not ready for such a change.

The AH is already dominated by bots and gold sellers.

No mods is for the sake of keeping a simplistic approach to the game. I think that's cool. If you look at WoW, then you have to admit that the addon scene is a jungle in itself to venture around in. And more philosophically, I suppose you can say that if a WoW player needs 50 addons before he feels he can play WoW properly, then there's perhaps something fundamentally wrong with the default UI...

Online play I don't get the fuzz about. Who the hell doesn't have an internet connection these days?
It also makes it easier in terms of achievements and progress and such, that players can't just "practice" in singleplayer. It's the same concerns as there were for SC2 I guess, and that turned out okay despite all the doom-saying.

So what you're basically saying is, Blizzard have disabled the ability to mod the game to protect us, because we're all simpletons who might be easily confused and frightened if we download some kind of mod? And no, SC2 had a huge backlash from the community when it was released and an offline mode was implemented. Seriously, I could not give a flying monkey about achievement tracking... sometimes I just want to sit down for 30 minutes and play some mindless single player action, and I don't see why I have to log into battle net to do it...

Actually that's a lie, I know full well why I have no choice but to play online. Digital. Rights. Management. That's all this really comes down to; Blizzard are attempting to tighten their grip on potential digital pirates, but as we all know the more layers of DRM you add to a game, the more effort will be put into pirating it.
Edited by Spoldoon on 02/08/2011 00:00 BST
Reply Quote
70 Draenei Shaman
01/08/2011 10:17Posted by Blackpine
Once they will introduce it to WoW - I am out of this game.
Reply Quote
1 Gnome Rogue
01/08/2011 10:17Posted by Blackpine
Once they will introduce it to WoW - I am out of this game.

/agree
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
if you dont like it go make your own massive online multiplayer game.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Gnome Priest
01/08/2011 23:50Posted by Spoldoon
So what you're basically saying is, Blizzard have disabled the ability to mod the game to protect us, because we're all simpletons who might be easily confused and frightened if we download some kind of mod?

I'll elaborate (I probalby came off a bit too unclear :P). UI addons don't have a place because it's a game that's supposed to be easy and simple to approach. If people are allowed to develop UI addons themselves, then that philosophy can easily slip (see WoW addons).
The full-blown mods are naturally not possible because they don't allow a singleplayer/offline mode. And likely also because games that are easy to mod tend to be easy to hack. And Diablo III should be anything but easy to hack. You can perhaps also say that in today's gaming culture, the community would expect more than just the ability to mod, it would expect user-friendly modding and support (see SC2's user-made maps).
And if Blizzard were to allow people to mod the game, they would have to police the stuff people come up with (like they do with WoW addons and SC2 maps), to avoid any "inapropriate" content.
And that's probably not worth it when Blizzard themselves have made Diablo III so randomised, largely to enhance the replayability to a degree where modding won't be nessesary or needed at all (from a gaming experience point of view).

Actually that's a lie, I know full well why I have no choice but to play online. Digital. Rights. Management. That's all this really comes down to; Blizzard are attempting to tighten their grip on potential digital pirates, but as we all know the more layers of DRM you add to a game, the more effort will be put into pirating it.

That's probaby an aspect to it also. But again, I see no problem with that. I don't pirate games, and I'm not particulary fond of those who do. So Blizzard taking steps to prevent pirating? Sounds fine to me.

sometimes I just want to sit down for 30 minutes and play some mindless single player action, and I don't see why I have to log into battle net to do it...

And I don't see what the issue is in having to type your username and password before playing.
If it's a matter of principle, then well, to each his own I guess.

But it's probably a matter of opinion in the end. And luckily we know all this stuff beforehand, so those who feel strongly against some of Blizzard's decisions, well they can just choose not to buy the game. That's cool too. I mean, if you don't like a game you don't like it, and of course shouldn't buy it. Makes sense :)

Edit: Spelling.
Edited by Jito on 02/08/2011 00:27 BST
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
01/08/2011 10:12Posted by Ðroze
Do you think if the feature proves successful that it will be implemented in wow aswell

No.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Two of the biggest issues I see with an AH like that.

1. Something tells me Blizzard would want quite a big % of what you make in the end.
2. Not sure how its gonna work exactly but they might as well just give all "gold sellers" a free copy of Diablo 3 along with this promotion of it.

Sorry blizz, no go for me.
Reply Quote
11 Troll Warrior
In wow, blizzard is totally against buying stuff in-game for real money,

No, they used to be against it. After the merge with Activision, profits need to be maximised and they can do this by the store, putting out (what many view as) low quality expansions at a quick rate (time between TBC and WotLK, WotLK and Cata and Cata and the next one [predicted]), Starcraft 2 split into 3 games. Etc.

I can see this happening to WoW, probably sooner rather than later. Successful in Diablo 3, Activision will push. Blizzard will cave, we'll get our T14 from bosses or the store. Take your pick.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]