Authenticator

(Locked)

85 Undead Death Knight
Hi,

I found this program called Winauth which claims to do the same as the official battlenet authenticator.

Is this program safe to use or not, because i don't have a telephone which is compatible with the smartphone app ??
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Never heard of it. i woudnt use,it you might want to consider buying a keychain one from the blizzard store

Edit:I just want to say Dont do it dont use winauth whatever sounds dodgy
blizz wont endorse a product that isnt theirs. you would be better off getting an offical one, or a keychain one
90 Human Warlock
Looking at it, it duplicates the algorithm from the official app you already have - if you dont have the app already, you cant use it.

And if you do use it, it renders the level of security added by the authenticator null and void, because its just as vulnerable to a keylogger as a document with your password in.
Blizzard Employee
Hello Reggertudk,

As you may have already seen from the small related section on the creator’s website, you can use the program if you wish, but I should make clear that we obviously won’t endorse it nor support or encourage its use.

Our physical token Authenticators would definitely be more secure than any program of this kind (so if account security is your main concern then you’d probably do best with one of those), but if you’re just looking for a small additional layer of protection against phished data and the like then you’re welcome to make use of it at your own risk. :)
Edited by Nephadne on 21/08/2011 23:09 BST
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]