Haste vs Mastery?

80 Undead Priest
Is this even a question?
I wonder if I should switch from haste to mastery in affliction.
What do people do these days?

Edit: Also. When should I stop worrying about resilience. Got about 4.1k now.
Edited by Sháx on 21/08/2011 13:05 BST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
haste
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
mastery sucks for affliciton. it was only ever good when the drainlife spec was a viable alternative to shadowbolt. it's still a viable spec.. just it's about 700 dps behind the SB one, but still a good 1000 or so ahead of destruction.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Priest
21/08/2011 13:33Posted by Taoquitok
mastery sucks for affliciton. it was only ever good when the drainlife spec was a viable alternative to shadowbolt. it's still a viable spec.. just it's about 700 dps behind the SB one, but still a good 1000 or so ahead of destruction.

sorry forgot to mention: PVP

edit: well, actually i mentioned resilience
Edited by Sháx on 21/08/2011 13:35 BST
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
(edit: yeah I didn't read past the first 2 lines of your post before i went to reply :p)

not the most experienced pvper, but really you have two ways of looking at it. in pvp at least 80% of your damage will come from dots, so mastery will help there. but then so will haste as even though you won't beable to reach any of the higher dot ticks (at least not without a spriest or boomkin) it will still decrease the duration of the dot until you get to the point of gaining an additional tick. it will also help with casting fear/haunt/banish/ua.. but then again in pvp the amount of haste available to get is pretty low so the difference in cast time is pretty small. so yeah really it's personal preference as to which stat you prefer.

one way you could look at it is to reforge all the crit pvp pieces to haste and leave the mastery ones as pure mastery to help with your damage.. as long as you can hit the 10% haste cap with DI you'll gain that all important additional UA tick which for non-goblins is 870 haste. In terms of corruption, you'll already have the additional tick if you reach the UA one (and the next one after that is completely out of range) for BoA there's an additional tick at 1184 rating (+di) which could be worthwhile aiming as a minimum point. Shadowflame's additional tick MIGHT be achievable at 1698.. but it probably isn't worth it.

here's a useful analysis of all the dot ticks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CKPti9oE&key=0AsDL8HE-bGDVdEU1S1NqMW5IbWU1dURKcmdibFFTeVE&hl=en&authkey=CKPti9oE#gid=14

in terms of resilience... I'll let someone else answer that :p personally I sit around 4k res and as i bounce over it I adjust my gems/enchants for more int instead of resilience as I find my survability to fine in it's current state.
Edited by Taoquitok on 21/08/2011 14:15 BST
Reply Quote
80 Undead Priest
(edit: yeah I didn't read past the first 2 lines of your post before i went to reply :p)

not the most experienced pvper, but really you have two ways of looking at it. in pvp at least 80% of your damage will come from dots, so mastery will help there. but then so will haste as even though you won't beable to reach any of the higher dot ticks (at least not without a spriest or boomkin) it will still decrease the duration of the dot until you get to the point of gaining an additional tick. it will also help with casting fear/haunt/banish/ua.. but then again in pvp the amount of haste available to get is pretty low so the difference in cast time is pretty small. so yeah really it's personal preference as to which stat you prefer.

one way you could look at it is to reforge all the crit pvp pieces to haste and leave the mastery ones as pure mastery to help with your damage.. as long as you can hit the 10% haste cap with DI you'll gain that all important additional UA tick which for non-goblins is 870 haste. In terms of corruption, you'll already have the additional tick if you reach the UA one (and the next one after that is completely out of range) for BoA there's an additional tick at 1184 rating (+di) which could be worthwhile aiming as a minimum point. Shadowflame's additional tick MIGHT be achievable at 1698.. but it probably isn't worth it.

here's a useful analysis of all the dot ticks.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CKPti9oE&key=0AsDL8HE-bGDVdEU1S1NqMW5IbWU1dURKcmdibFFTeVE&hl=en&authkey=CKPti9oE#gid=14

in terms of resilience... I'll let someone else answer that :p personally I sit around 4k res and as i bounce over it I adjust my gems/enchants for more int instead of resilience as I find my survability to fine in it's current state.

thx. i think i got like 13% haste with self buff
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]