Low pop. realms

85 Orc Warrior
I decided to make a new topic as topic about my realm was moved to my realm's forum where not everybody can find it. Main point is a problem of low population realms that are suffering because nobody wants to play there. There are at least 5 realms (this info is from http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2624785515 topic where people from different realms are discussing this problem but i want this thread to be non-realm typically but general) As it is a big problem for all players who started/playing on very low pop. realms we want this problem to be solved.

The thread is inspired by Ermelloth's (mentioned above) thread but it not about any particular realm but about all very low pop. realms (by this i hope it wont be moved anywhere and can be read by everybody)

Sincerely,

A paying customer
Edited by Ziomislaw on 08/09/2011 01:08 BST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
It is a very serious problem. People are pleading Blizzard to look into it, and take action. We always get the eternal 'we're looking into it, we're aware of it', but seems that they're looking into how many people are willing to pay a realm transfer, instead of addressing the real issue.

As a company, Blizzard should be trying to find a solution to help its paying customers, not trying to sell them another solution that most of us aren't seeking. It is easy to say 'oh, hey, move realms, problem solved', but sometimes money isn't the issue. Time and effort has been put into characters, guilds, and everything in between.

We are trying our best, but we are constantly losing players on our realm, and not all are realm-transfering. A lot of people are just quitting the game due to the lack of ANYTHING on Sporeggar.

There was a very important thread on the main forums, and it got shoved to the realm forum, where of course, we all already KNOW the problem, the point to put it on a main forum is for all to see, and for all of those suffering of the same issue to come together and maybe only then Blizzard can say 'hey, you know what? These guys pay every month, they deserve some customer service!'.

Please listen to our pleas.

Sincerely,

A Paying Customer
Reply Quote
I'm from relatively low population server as well (Dragonmaw). And while I agree that this is a serious problem I think there isn't really an easy solution.

The player-base cannot sustain all the servers. Even if you open up migration why would anyone migrate away from perfectly fine server. And not all people are willing migrate, there are server patriots on the populated servers as well. Merging servers isn't really an option either as it would cause a huge, for lack of a better word, crapstorm as people would have to namechange, object to being forced to change servers, lose friends, and most likely it's not that simple to do technically.

Same phenomena happens in real life as well - people move away from country side and small towns to bigger ones. While it has it's downsides, the improved quality of life and better salaries make it worth it.

In my opinion the only solution is not to open free transfers to the low population servers, but to open transfers away from them and eventual shut down the server. I'm sure many people, including me, wouldn't like that.

Also it's probably worth noting that one of biggest causes for this problem is people quitting the game, but as someone already mentioned, it has started a chain effect as people quit because their friends leave/quit and their server dies out.

~Forever on Dragonmaw,
Aimori
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Been playing on jaedenar realm since day 1 yesterday the last raiding guild left the server situation here is worse than sporegar there are hardly 50 ally online at peak at 9-10p.m U want find more than 20-85's,0 new chars are being made hadent seen a sinlge raid even for bh,the last rbg i saw seeking for players was about 2 months ago and stoped cuase they coudlnt find more than 6 people.

I have 7 toons on the server that would be a total of 140euro wich is very inapropiate in the state that europe is now economically and even if i had the money i wouldnt be able to do it cause i dont own a credit card and none in my familly does .We on jaedenar realms have made like 40 post about the population Issues and we never got single blue responce since then more people left.I give myself a deadline of a month if nothing happens i will stop playing.And to be honest i would rather pay 140euro to buy 3 new mmorpg rather than give it here.

Bottomline we are paying this game we have rights,we are paying for the server maintenance so go and maintenance the populations on servers dont push us to stop playing and after all its your fault u are the ones that started the payed char mig and people started leaving mid pop servers for high.I remember when there was only the free char migration u guys where keeping the population very balanced but money ofc is making people greedy.

U made this mess u fix it
Edited by Ectoras on 08/09/2011 03:41 BST
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Aimori a dont really know which solution is the best or which one Blizz should go. But I know that it is time Blizz should take any action instead of puting copy-paste msg that they acknowledged problem and are working on it.

And as I am a realm patriot as well I wont have problems with moving if Sporeggar will be closed as long as my guildies and other friends will be able to mass move to other (maybe new realm so it wont make any "we were first here it is more our server than ur" problems) realm.

And I dont want Blizz to create life. I want them to fix their broken product. It is perfectly doable. Might be costly, might be hard to make it happen, but I pay them my money and that makes me think am in right to demand it to be sorted out. I know they wont change whole game for one person but as far as I see there are lots of people across different realms that feel the same way as me!

Sincerely,

A paying customer
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
It will be good idea to marge servers with low population

Sincerely,

A paying customer
Reply Quote
I feel sorry for you guys :(
I rerolled from a dying realm in the second half of Wotlk just to avoid these problems.

Even my high populated realm is feeling a lack of activitiy right now though, its a general trend it seems :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
It will be good idea to marge servers with low population

Sincerely,

A paying customer

Homer won't be happy.

I think that some does need to be done about low population servers, just so their population stops posting in the wrong place.

get everyone on your server who wants something done about it to write a letter, not an email, to blizzard petitioning them to do something about it.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Agree, something needs to be done. Either merge low pop servers, or make character transfer free of charge.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
I really dont get it why they wont try to solve this.. Must be easier for them aswell if the manage to merge servers..

Fewer servers = Less trouble ?

Reply Quote
- WoW, StarCraft II
85 Worgen Druid
Blizzard has stated that they are aware of the problem, so I hope that they'll come with a solution for you guys soon =)

All the best!
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
I fail to see how shutting down a few realms would be costly to blizzard, if anything it should be cheaper since they don't have to maintain them anymore,
I also don't understand why would anyone oppose to moving from a very low pop server to a higher populated one (considering that the entire population of that server moves to the same server).
If I am correct (if i'm not someone please explain it to me) there is supposed to be nothing preventing blizzard from doing this o.0
It is time they recognize that WoW is an old game that is starting to lose customers, and therefore it should start losing servers if they don't want EVEN more people to quit, by doing nothing all they do is lose customers at a faster rate. It's as simple as that.

I would really like for a blue to explain the situation if there is a problem in merging very low pop servers (there are servers with <1k people out there!) with higher pop servers, because all i see in it are benefits, both to Blizzard and they're customers.
Reply Quote
- WoW, StarCraft II
85 Worgen Druid
09/09/2011 11:26Posted by Borlax
I fail to see how shutting down a few realms would be costly to blizzard, if anything it should be cheaper since they don't have to maintain them anymore,
I don't claim to know how Blizzard works on a technical level, but know very well that maintaining a server can cost quite a bit of money depending on the type of maintenance needed. So indeed, getting rid of certain servers would, in my opinion, save them some money.

I also don't understand why would anyone oppose to moving from a very low pop server to a higher populated one (considering that the entire population of that server moves to the same server).
If I am correct (if i'm not someone please explain it to me) there is supposed to be nothing preventing blizzard from doing this o.0
The main issue I can see here is naming conflicts. People will be extremely angry if they are forced to rename their characters because that particular name is already taken on a specific destination server. Unless Blizzard can come up with a way to compensate these people (maybe extra game time?), there is no easy solution to this one.

It is time they recognize that WoW is an old game that is starting to lose customers, and therefore it should start losing servers if they don't want EVEN more people to quit, by doing nothing all they do is lose customers at a faster rate. It's as simple as that.
A minor drop in customer base is barely enough reason to justify the decline in server population, so that can't be it. I have a theory, however, that when people dinged level 85, they wanted to join more active raiding guilds for PVP or PVE and thus because their server already had a low population, they migrated, thus creating even bigger problems for those forced to stay behind. Its kind of like a snowball effect.

I would really like for a blue to explain the situation if there is a problem in merging very low pop servers (there are servers with <1k people out there!) with higher pop servers, because all i see in it are benefits, both to Blizzard and they're customers.
Blues are not obliged to answer queries on the forums. However, you can be rest assured that Takralus has stated that they are aware of the problem. At least, this is what I understood.
Edited by Danellos on 09/09/2011 11:45 BST
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
There were always low pop servers in the past, the present and in the future.

Even if you would build it all from scratch, you'll always have the lower ones and the full ones, with the vast majority in between as medium.

The ONLY important thing that counts is that WOW is about 50% of cross realm play these days.

100+ dungeons and 60+ bracketed BG's (per 5 lvls) are playable within minutes of launch. Add in the new Real ID play across servers, there is nothing to stop you from making friends across servers to run dungeons.

That's for the group play while leveling... The end play - even on low popped servers can be build around guilds anyway.

In the future the only thing Blizzard needs to add is one region based Auction House with a 1M+ possible sellers and buyers. Diablo 3 will have it so I suppose they will use it too for WOW in the future (but not with real money).

One could think of cross server phasing too to open up world group content, but I think that's something for the new MMORPG (which will be build from scratch) and it would be useless in WOW atm.
Edited by Kolin on 09/09/2011 11:45 BST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Hunter
I twould give a undesired signal towards shareholders if they were to decrease the number of servers, even though it would only improve life for the WoW player :(
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/09/2011 11:44Posted by Vèspa
I twould give a undesired signal towards shareholders if they were to decrease the number of servers, even though it would only improve life for the WoW player :(

As practically ALL content of WOW is group based across servers, they don't need to do s hit.

Guilds play with 300 players is peanuts to do the end game.

Like I said the only problem would be the AH, but if they create a region wide cross realm AH, WOW will never have to merge servers as it is not even a necessity and creates a nice buffer for all the ramp tourists that come in for 2 months and leave with every new expansion...

Like in spring 2012 again.
Edited by Kolin on 09/09/2011 11:49 BST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
09/09/2011 11:37Posted by Danellos
I don't claim to know how Blizzard works on a technical level, but know very well that maintaining a server can cost quite a bit of money depending on the type of maintenance needed. So indeed, getting rid of certain servers would, in my opinion, save them some money.

The main issue I can see here is naming conflicts. People will be extremely angry if they are forced to rename their characters because that particular name is already taken on a specific destination server. Unless Blizzard can come up with a way to compensate these people (maybe extra game time?), there is no easy solution to this one.

A minor drop in customer base is barely enough reason to justify the decline in server population, so that can't be it. I have a theory, however, that when people dinged level 85, they wanted to join more active raiding guilds for PVP or PVE and thus because their server already had a low population, they migrated, thus creating even bigger problems for those forced to stay behind. Its kind of like a snowball effect.

Moving everything might be costly though. The players are easy with migration, but guilds and similar features might not be so easy.

Its very much a snowball effect, my server was already low pop before cata with 1-2 full pugs per day. At cata start the top alliance guild migrated.
This have started a snowball effect, where 7 of the top 17 guilds have left.
When the server grow dead, there is less to do when online, and thus people log on less. When people log on less, the guilds feel empty and guildies stop playing or change guild.
When guildies stop playing, guilds either migrate or stop raiding, which then causes people to migrate or stop playing.

And so on and so forth. Personally I notice people from my friends- or ignorelist leaving every time I log on. My guild is dying, not due to burnout but due to inactivity. I'm probably ending my subscribtion as well soon.

Btw I don't see why these discussions are moved to server forums, when its very much cross-server discussions usually.
Reply Quote
- WoW, StarCraft II
85 Worgen Druid
09/09/2011 11:55Posted by Toris
Moving everything might be costly though. The players are easy with migration, but guilds and similar features might not be so easy.
Hmmm... indeed. I haven't thought of the issues related to guild migration.

Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Its a very serious issue. I think a lot of people don't realise what they are missing out on by being on a low population server.

I had spent the guts of 6 years on Scarshield Legion up until 3 months ago. I decided to transfer to Kazzak to do some endgame raiding and I was staggered by the difference in activity between the two servers. Kazzak is literally buzzing with life with RBG groups, pug raids, arenas, old raid groups forming constantly, day or night. In my old realm it was becoming hard to find a 2v2 partner just for weekly points. RBG teams are a serious rarity and PUG raids basically don't exist. I'm sure there has always been a disparity in populations, but with Cataclysm it has become incredibly obvious. Scarshield Legion is dead or dying, and with servers like Kazzak out there, it simply isn't fair for those stuck on SSL.

I paid £35 for the priviledge of transferring to Kazzak and faction changing (I had to for the guild I joined) and in order to bring my alts with me, the cost would have been £35 per character. I didn't bring them with me, and have since quit the game over the costs involved in keeping my characters active - ie they are ridiculous but that's a side/related issue.

Blizzard is going to have to take this issue by the horns sooner rather than later. The cost of transferring is appalling, yet there are many servers that are dying. So Blizzard is hitting people with a financial doulbe-whammy. As there is no way of getting your characters onto a well populated server without paying, they are expecting you to keep paying your subscription, and on top of that pay **EXTRA** for the same quality of game time as the people who picked a server that was lucky enough to have a high population. They are not offering to resolve these problems with their game but rather asking the customer to pay to fix the problem on an individual basis. This is incredibly cynical given how much people love this game.

For me, to transfer my active main and alts to Kazzak and pay for a year's game time, the total cost would be £258. This is crazy money for an MMO. I have had enough. My subscription is cancelled along with the several million others who have called it quits since the release of Cataclysm. This has to be one of the most pressing issues for the people running this game. If it isn't then it should be.

Sincerely, a former paying customer who will pay again if this issue is resolved.
Edited by Arianny on 09/09/2011 12:20 BST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
09/09/2011 11:48Posted by Kolin

As practically ALL content of WOW is group based across servers, they don't need to do s hit.

Guilds play with 300 players is peanuts to do the end game.

Like I said the only problem would be the AH, but if they create a region wide cross realm AH, WOW will never have to merge servers as it is not even a necessity and creates a nice buffer for all the ramp tourists that come in for 2 months and leave with every new expansion...

Like in spring 2012 again.

This post, as some of your prior in these discussions, show you have no idea what low pop even means.

There is no guilds with 300 players on a low pop servers, and if you disregard alts there are few, if any 50+ guilds. One of the largest guild on Alliance my server have a hard time gathering 25 people, with a 50 % attendance requirement, meaning they have less than 50 active members.
The other big guilds cannot get 25 man going either.

Btw my server is not even really dead yet, just dying, other guilds are far worse.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]