The Great Guild Ban Debacle

5 Human Warlock
Wow this sound amazing, love the idea and would be great for ignoring those damn gold sellers:D
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Yo!

I made a very similar yet more spread out idea in my thread along with 17 other unique ideas! Check n. 2 ----> http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3061921852

I stickied your thread so hoping you can return the favor and do the same, and take your time with my thread as well since it's motherload of problem solvers for Guilds and needs more attention, Thx!
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest
@Curthorus

I have read and responded (in some length) to your thread.

However as I mentioned in that response
13/02/2012 11:48Posted by Underpantz
Not to be douchey, but I would also ask that you too return to my post and give feedback on the OP's concepts to help them develop and be acknowledged. As your current comment just serves as an advertisement for you own thread and does not really further the cause :)

Thanks
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Yo! Yeah sure, given you read my thread I'll surely go through yours!

Ok, banning the entire account is an option. There might be rare issues where someone has been kicked but has an alt in secretly playing and not saying stuff hoping the Guild might forgive him/her. I do agree with your idea and given in my thread on showing other characters on the account, I kinda meant the characters in the same Guild/Server. And there would be an option for that player to turn it off/on if he/she wishes.

So combining this with my Banned Bulletin Board, when you kick a player you get an option if it's just gonna be a kick or a kick and a ban, if you choose kick your gonna have ''just this character'' or ''all account characters in this guild''. Then after you kick that player, fill out the note giving the reason why that person was kicked and it would be seen on the BBB.

Thanks for taking your time on reading my post and here's to hoping both of our threads get noticed and of course implemented in Mop! ;D

P.S. I added the ''Ban Account'' option in my thread under BBB with your name on it, so you can share in the glory when Blizz reviews it!
Edited by Curthorus on 13/02/2012 15:10 GMT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
We once failed a raider on trial & he actually name changed and re-applied as PVP with a complete new identity, he failed his trial on the PVP side too funnily enough. After that he pretended to be an alt of a current member to get back in guild on a low level character, before being discovered a 3rd time. The 4th time he name changed a max level alt to re-apply & I'm ashamed to say got in again before being discovered....

This is why when I get serious issues in my guild (which is very rarely) I do what I call an "invite ban". Basically it means that my officers and I tidy up who and who in the guild, promote any existing trialists, remove seriously inactive people, and just take a break from inviting new people to the guild. Any genuine people wanting to join the guild wouldn't mind waiting a few days.

Also you could regard this player's behaviour as harassment. I suggest you report the whole incident to a GM so at least it is marked on his account he's doing it. Even if you do not see any results after report, remember that the reporting is accumulative, it will add up until he would land himself a ban from this game for the behaviour.

Hmmm what a sad person to waste so much money on name changing too...
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest
@Iluvcritters,

18/02/2012 01:02Posted by Iluvcritters
Also you could regard this player's behaviour as harassment. I suggest you report the whole incident to a GM so at least it is marked on his account he's doing it. Even if you do not see any results after report, remember that the reporting is accumulative, it will add up until he would land himself a ban from this game for the behaviour.

Indeed! Though some people are determined (as other posters have mentioned) and may feel that hard-done-by that they will wait a few months, then try and re-gain entry to cause more disruption.

Some may try and then stay quiet because they want a second or third chance, dependent of what they have done wrong a second chance is always possible to be agreed upon. I just think its important that if someone has caused great issues in the past and been removed, they shouldn't be able to get back in and quietly share in the benefits that others in the guild have worked hard to achieve if they them selves have caused those guildies problems.
Edited by Underpantz on 18/02/2012 13:04 GMT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
18/02/2012 01:02Posted by Iluvcritters
Also you could regard this player's behaviour as harassment. I suggest you report the whole incident to a GM so at least it is marked on his account he's doing it.

We reported the guy at the time, but to be honest I felt when trying to articulate the problem it came across as quite petty it put me off reporting people since then. Wasn't the GMs fault or anything I just find it impossible to complain without sounding like a whiny child xD
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest
We reported the guy at the time, but to be honest I felt when trying to articulate the problem it came across as quite petty it put me off reporting people since then. Wasn't the GMs fault or anything I just find it impossible to complain without sounding like a whiny child xD

@ Serenal, I think a lot of people don't report issues like that for similar reasons :-/
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I so wholly agree with this, unfortunately I had one person join who then invited his 3 friends who then invited all their alts then raided gb (I have protected it now) then abused other guildies. An account ban would have been so great at that time, it took a long time after for them to stop joining on new alts.
Reply Quote
88 Tauren Priest
Ok, can i have a go at the devils advocate thing here?
I saw a post from a blue-dude somewhere else saying they had no reason to ban accounts instead of just players (cant remember the exact context), but what i was wondering was, can you see any downside to the banning of people via the ID feature?

I'm sure Underpantz could apreciate if we could come up with any problems, and then solve them, then there is a stronger case for implementing this feature.
Reply Quote
It can be simple:
require every new member to be on your real id list. Allow for some room in time (like 1-2 weeks) if a fellow officer invites the player and so the player is still not on your list. Or have like 3 "registration" officers and make sure that after a while the list is complete on every officer.

Not on your real id list: your not allowed in this guild. This prevents people from removing the real id connection while keeping alts in your guild.

The price is a long list of real id's where it may be an issue to focus on personal friends and the second issue is that you no longer have privacy as well.

In my case i have multiple accounts and considered to wake up an old account who is not connected to my current "new" account just for real id registration purposes.
Edited by Kaisho on 26/02/2012 13:03 GMT
Reply Quote
10 Gnome Priest
@Dysnomia,

Ok, can i have a go at the devils advocate thing here?
I saw a post from a blue-dude somewhere else saying they had no reason to ban accounts instead of just players (cant remember the exact context), but what i was wondering was, can you see any downside to the banning of people via the ID feature?

I'm sure Underpantz could apreciate if we could come up with any problems, and then solve them, then there is a stronger case for implementing this feature.

Well, the idea would be that their Battle.net account would be banned from the guild (you confused me slightly when you referred to it as ID).

Downsides:

Blizzard are concerned if you implemented the Battle.net account ban there may be a possibility for someones privacy to be given away. This would only happen if the first person you banned tried to re-join the guild and you were informed that they could not do so. After a few account bans you would know that it is someone who has been banned previously but you wouldn't know exactly who it was. In my opinion I can't see this as a problem. If everyone was aware of the new Guild Battle.net account ban feature then surely if they were deliberately trying to deceive you to gain access to your guild and in doing so gave away their privacy (because they were the first person ever to be banned) I see that as being their own fault. If they don't try to re-join your guild then their identity would never be known.

I would like to point out here that I am ONLY suggesting a Battle.net account ban feature for guilds. I don't believe in Battle.net account bans for other reasons, which there are many.. a good example might be that you try rolling a healer, your first pug runs may be not so good and people could jump the gun and then ban your whole Battle.net account. Thats not fair if you have plenty of other good characters elsewhere... also you could be identified that way by a guildie if they blocked you on another server or character and realised that after banning this "random's" account they can no longer communicate with someone in their guild, so they would know that you were that "random" and you're right to privacy would be eroded.

@Kaisho,

I really appreciate your feedback (as i do with you all) but I do not see real-ID being part of the solution at all, unless Blizzard changes the service substantially. This is mainly due to the fact that I and many other players do not have IRL friends who also play WoW (its either not their thing or they're far too busy with work and family commitments), this poses problems as real-ID gives away my personal details to other players that I don't really know. I think many players in WoW feel forced to use real-ID even though they don't know the players on their list IRL because its the only real way of having cross-realm/faction communication, I don't agree with this and so do not use real-ID. After all real-ID was developed for IRL friends, but because there is no alternative unfortunately it has become something very different. I've said it before, on other posts, who wants someone on WoW hunting them down IRL on social networks because you got into an argument over something petty for some reason? :)
Edited by Underpantz on 29/02/2012 16:13 GMT
Reply Quote
88 Tauren Priest
29/02/2012 16:09Posted by Underpantz
This would only happen if the first person you banned tried to re-join the guild and you were informed that they could not do so. After a few account bans you would know that it is someone who has been banned previously but you wouldn't know exactly who it was. In my opinion I can't see this as a problem. If everyone was aware of the new Guild Battle.net account ban feature then surely if they were deliberately trying to deceive you to gain access to your guild and in doing so gave away their privacy (because they were the first person ever to be banned) I see that as being their own fault. If they don't try to re-join your guild then their identity would never be known.

Yeah, thats what I was after really. I'll give you an example, I was in a guild ages ago and when someone tried to join who I had previously ignored it 'flagged up' somehow, one of the officers said "somone is ignoring <person who he tried to invite>" leading me to tell him exactly why he was ignored. So why this couldnt be extended to an accountID (but without needing to give away someones email address, as they dont even need to, just flash up a warning to officers that this person is banned).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]