What weapon is best for feral druid?

I think that the polearm is way better than the staff because the stat is identical except for weapon damage, and some of druids attack are affected by just the weapon damage so why would blizzard have the staff there if attacks such as swipe deals weapon damage? its a clear difference between the weapon damage...i mean...cmon...

997-1467 on the staff
1795-2693 on the polearm

can someone explain to me why anyone with common sense would pick the staff for anything other than the look of it?

swipe deals 600% of weapon damage for the people who for some reason dont know
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
Honestly? I didnt notice the difference in staff vs polearm before. Thanks for pointing it out.

Ahhh - here it goes. Thing is (from what I see) the part of weapon damage that effects our damage is DPS. Polearms are slower then staves (3.6 vs 2.8 seconds) so their DPS is equal.

Swipe (if it uses max damage rather then DPS) would be an exception and maybe maim (in the WoWhead toolbar it says it uses MW as multiplyer - could be main weapon but not sure)

Thing is that 1 attack isnt really a good enough reason to pass on a staff and wait for a polearm and rolling need on polearm if I got the staff to boost swipe seems a bit frivolous.
Edited by Leloo on 30/09/2011 15:44 BST
Reply Quote
It does deal 600% of weapon damage, but your Cat form weapon damage. And what is cat form weapon damage calculated from? Your weapon's DPS stat. Check the DPS on the staff and polearm you are comparing?
Reply Quote
Honestly? I didnt notice the difference in staff vs polearm before. Thanks for pointing it out.

Ahhh - here it goes. Thing is (from what I see) the part of weapon damage that effects our damage is DPS. Polearms are slower then staves (3.6 vs 2.8 seconds) so their DPS is equal.

Swipe (if it uses max damage rather then DPS) would be an exception and maybe maim (in the WoWhead toolbar it says it uses MW as multiplyer - could be main weapon but not sure)

Thing is that 1 attack isnt really a good enough reason to pass on a staff and wait for a polearm and rolling need on polearm if I got the staff to boost swipe seems a bit frivolous.

actually there is a set attack speed once ur in form
Reply Quote
also i tested the difference of swipes damage on both weapons

the polearm deals about 10k more damage than the staff
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid

And exactly how did you do this test?
Reply Quote

Bull !@#$.
Reply Quote

And exactly how did you do this test?

i swiped some level 47 guy in gadgetzan once with both weapons

staff did 5000 damage and polearm did 16000 damage
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue

i swiped some level 47 guy in gadgetzan once with both weapons

staff did 5000 damage and polearm did 16000 damage

You need to do more then once swipe to get reliable numbers. 20 swipes with each weapon could give you better data. Use recount and after 20 swipes check the avr. swipe damage.

And while the catform speed IS 1 the weapon DPS is determened by the weapon.

IF the druid damage is determined by the weapons DPS then staff or polearm dont matter.
IF the swipe damage is determined by the weapons weapon range or maximum damage then weapon choice does matter.

I am not trying to say you are wrong but merely pointing out some details. If I were you I would go to a training dummy and do a series of attacks (20 attacks of any and all attacks you want) with both weapons and check the recount data.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Druid
Cat attack speed is 1.0 seconds. Hence all weapons have a 1.0s attack speed when you're in cat form. The only important part of the whitedamage on a weapon is DPS, the other two are irrelevant since the attackspeed is modified by the form and the damage range is dependant on the speed, which was modified.

Look at dps and the main/secondary stats, disregard the damage and the weapon attackspeed.

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Just tested and I call bull!@#$. Me swiping with staff and a friend swiping with polearm, both otherwise naked. Both averaged 3.7k hits on a lvl85 dummy. So what I'm guessing is that between your swipes you had some buff/debuff that skewed your results.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
loled read up on yr class... staff and pole identical in cat form, if you want to kill totems outside of form take staff, if not w/e you like
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
To sum it all up:

There is no difference.
Edited by Drugaming on 01/10/2011 09:54 BST
Reply Quote
To sum it all up:

There is no difference.

600% weapon damage on swipe does have a difference when the polearm has twice as much damage as the staff, and if ur specced with fury swipes you do more white hit damage
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Druid
To sum it all up:

There is no difference.

600% weapon damage on swipe does have a difference when the polearm has twice as much damage as the staff,

Oh dear.

Listen, enter cat form, check you melee tab. The lines Speed:, DPS: and Damage: will read the same regardless of weapon type (aslong as the dps of the weapon is the same), while you are in cat form.

Since cat form changes the weapon speed of ALL weapons to 1.0 seconds, prior to haste. It does not matter what speed the original weapon has, regardless of what skill you're using.

The same thing goes for bearform, but the speed is 2.5 seconds.

P.S: If we didn't have a 1.0 sec attack speed we wouldn't have a 600% damage modifier. A 3.70s polearm with 600% damage+ap scaling would smash out 40k+ swipes on single target with raidbuffs.

and if ur specced with fury swipes you do more white hit damage

No, you don't increase white damage, you procc a special attack on your autoattacks. (Yellow damage)

So, in the future, just go for weapon DPS and stats. =)
Edited by Kamui on 01/10/2011 11:06 BST
Reply Quote
Listen, enter cat form, check you melee tab. The lines Speed:, DPS: and Damage: will read the same regardless of weapon type (aslong as the dps of the weapon is the same), while you are in cat form.
and stats. =)[/quote]

omg its like ur saying "screw logic! the stat is the same except weapon damage and some of ferals abilities depends on weapon damage, my point is that the information on the abilities is fake and blizzard just doesnt bother about fixing that."

dude, im pretty sure that when it says "weapon damage" then its the stat all the way on top of the weapon that says "damage", then "weapon damage abilities" are having a huge impact on that.

please, now im getting sorta confused by how everyone is denying that weapon damage doesnt do anything...EVEN THOUGH THERE ARE ABILITIES THAT CLEARLY STATES THAT WEAPON DAMAGE DOES MATTER!
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
IT DOESN'T !@#$ING MATTER, ASK A %^-*ING GM, ALL THAT MATTERS IS THE WEAPONS DPS FFS! CHRIST!

If there was a difference, then why the !@#$ would Blizz make the staff anyways?

Check google, the tooltip is either !@#$ed up or something, because It's only weapon DPS that matters.

Edit: Typo
Edited by Drugaming on 01/10/2011 12:11 BST
Reply Quote
ok !@#$ logic
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
Im so glad im not a teacher if this are the retardedness you'd have to work with
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
01/10/2011 12:22Posted by Keynes
Im so glad im not a teacher if this are the retardedness you'd have to work with

Actually as a teacher you tend to deal with the situation on a pretty frequent basis. Most effective way i've found to deal with it is to allow the students to adopt a "guided discover" method wherein they work through a series of small tasks to develop a better understanding of the problem as a whole, in this particular case i'd say a better underlying knowledge of the class and particulary the weapon mechanics would help.

01/10/2011 12:20Posted by Moonpotato
ok !@#$ logic

You're falling into a logic trap, please pay attention to the people who have posted and don't resort to flippant remarks and profanity, it's not getting you anywhere.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]