What weapon is best for feral druid?

90 Night Elf Druid
3/10 obv troll casue no one is this clueless after 100 people have explained
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
For a feral druid, those two weapons are identical. The swing speed doesn't matter because we have a fixed 1 sec swing in cat and 2.5 sec swing in bear. These are only affected by haste.

It has been said but...to clear it up:

- Weapon Speed does not matter;
- Top/bottom damage does not matter;
- DPS DOES matter, but since those are the same for both weapons, you can safely pick the one you like the most.

Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
To me this smelled like a troll after the first denial of the proven facts, though given the actual responses I actually have to give it a 9/10.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
ok this is moonpotato on my warlock.

im not actually talking about the autoattack, but i am talking about how "weapon damage" effects "weapon damage -->>> ABILITIES <<<--"

how on earth am i suposed to get a solid answer if everyone is talking about something completely different from what the thread is even about?!?!???
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue

And exactly how did you do this test?

i swiped some level 47 guy in gadgetzan once with both weapons

staff did 5000 damage and polearm did 16000 damage

/facepalm
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
03/10/2011 14:43Posted by Zloth
how on earth am i suposed to get a solid answer if everyone is talking about something completely different from what the thread is even about?!?!???

You could try more question marks. That could help.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
ok this is moonpotato on my warlock.

im not actually talking about the autoattack, but i am talking about how "weapon damage" effects "weapon damage -->>> ABILITIES <<<--"

You've gotten plenty of solid answers. The only thing that affects cat as far as weapon dps/dmg/speed goes is the weapon dps stat.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Your weapon in cat form is your claws, not your polearm/staff.

Ability scaling is based off of the character sheet weapon damage in a form.

Off the top of my head the formula is something like, I think the result is added to your base attack of something like 54 but I'd have to check, it's irrelevant to the discussion anyway as it's identical for both weapons:
(Equipped Weapon DPS + (Attack Power/14))*Base Attack Speed

Base attack speed is 1 for cats and 2.5 for bears.

The weapon DPS on your item represents damage per second. This is adjusted by your attack power and then multiplied by your base attack speed to convert it to your Cat/Bear form DPS. For Cats, this is a 1 second attack speed, times it by 1 which just gives itself.

This character sheet damage stat is then used for all that forms attacks. When an attack in Cat or Bear refers to % weapon damage, it's referring to this value.

Some tests you can do to easily prove it:

- Swipe a dummy for a few times with Flame Scythe and Ranseur. You would see wildly different values were it based on the max damage. What you'll actually see is values roughly in the same range.

- Swipe a dummy using Flamescythe, it has a max damage of 2143. Note down the values of the hits. Then take the heroic version of Seliza's Spear, an ilvl 346 item with a max damage of 2386, higher than that of the Flamescythe. Were your theory correct, the blue 346 item would do greater swipe damage than the epic 378 Flamescythe as it had a higher max damage. Really though you'll see greatly reduced damage as it scales from the Weapon DPS.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Druid
You should really read the tooltip that says weapon damage as paw damage.. i guess that would confuse you less..

Please blizzard change the tooltips, so our friend here stops writing in caps.. he is obviously getting stressed out..
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Weapons have 3 stats that are relevant to weapon damage.

Damage: The amount of damage that's dealt when the weapon hits. A druid never hits with his/her weapon, you'll either be casting spells or hitting with claws.

Weapon speed: How often (in seconds without haste) the weapon will strike. Again, not relevant because you won't be hitting with your weapon.

Weapon DPS: How much damage is dealt per second by the weapon if you discount all stats (e.g. agility, str etc).

Basically none of those stats are relevant directly to druids. When wrath was released, Blizz decided that weapon stats should be important to classes, so spell casters got spell damage left on their weapons (it's when spell damage was removed from other items) and druids had a few skills that benefitted from weapon damage. The point is though that only the DPS is relevant. The attack speed is forced to 1 second (without haste) so the actual weapon damage and speed doesn't matter.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Feral Druids benefit from weapon DPS, not Weapon 'Damage'

'Nuff Said.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]