Necromancers

Hello there! As the name suggests, this is about necromancers. I've alwas considered making one since, and obvious class choice is Death Knight. I have a few question though before i make one.

Would a necromancer even be okay or are they all with the Scourge?
What traits could i implement to the character to avoid having the necromancy as main trait?
What races except Forsaken might consider necromancy?
Finnaly, how does a necromancer turne unbdead? I know they mostly are, but no idea how. Is it the unholy magic slowly killing them? Did the Scourge kill them?
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight

By far the majority, as far as I'm aware, are / were in the Scourge. However, there are individual Necromancers out there as well, working for themselves. Mind you, it's a practice that most races frown upon, and any known Necromancer would likely be imprisoned or killed.

What traits could i implement to the character to avoid having the necromancy as main trait?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by theat. = /

Forsaken, as you mentioned, as well as Humans, Gnomes, Dark Iron Dwarves, Orcs, Trolls and maybe even Blood Elves. There's no doubt more races as well, but those are the "most likely" candidates, as far as I'm concerned.

Finnaly, how does a necromancer turne unbdead? I know they mostly are, but no idea how.

Working with necromancy, a very unholy sort of magic, will over time turn a Necromancer undead. It's not something that suddenly happens, like it is with most Death Knights, but something that might take months to be complete.

Is it the unholy magic slowly killing them?

Yes. And also keeping them "alive" afterwards.

Did the Scourge kill them?

The Scourge mostly just convinced / threatened powerful magic-users, to become their necromancers. Some of them might have been killed, raised from the dead and then commanded to serve - others probanly had a taste for power, and joined the Scourge willingly. Like Kel'thuzad did.

Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
For all i know, any race could become a necromancer.

The most obvious ones though, would be Forsaken, Human, Gnome, Orc, Blood Elf, Troll
Edited by Joecakebaker on 29/09/2011 19:18 BST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I think troll would be my race of choice. They've got that voodoo connection that nobody else has, and you can RP to be independent from the Scourge that way.

Plus, I don't think troll necromancers are necessarily undead, or even affected by it. Maybe they have ways to counteract the shadow magic, I don't know.
Edited by Rynanne on 29/09/2011 19:19 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
I think troll would be my race of choice. They've got that voodoo connection that nobody else has, and you can RP to be independent from the Scourge that way.

Plus, I don't think troll necromancers are necessarily undead, or even affected by it. Maybe they have ways to counteract the shadow magic, I don't know.

Trolls do have a very notable necromancer, Zanzil. He seems to raise the dead mostly through brew and voodoo, and also seems to be alive despite practicing necromancy for a while.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
29/09/2011 19:18Posted by Rynanne
Plus, I don't think troll necromancers are necessarily undead, or even affected by it. Maybe they have ways to counteract the shadow magic, I don't know

Kel'thuzad (pre-lich), Heigan the unclean, Gothik the harvester and Noth the plaguebringer werent undead either as far as i know.
Reply Quote
10 Troll Hunter
all were undead, its the scourge magic.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
29/09/2011 19:43Posted by Kiljara
all were undead, its the scourge magic.

Im 100% sure that Kel'thuzad wasnt undead before he got killed by Arthas. Besides Necromancy isnt Scourge-only magic. Nerzhul was taught Necromancy by the demons, Gul'dan practiced Necromancy, and as mentioned earlier in this thread, Zanzil in Stranglethorn vale is a Necromancer.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Hunter
29/09/2011 19:49Posted by Joecakebaker
Im 100% sure that Kel'thuzad wasnt undead before he got killed by Arthas. Besides Necromancy isnt Scourge-only magic. Nerzhul was taught Necromancy by the demons, Gul'dan practiced Necromancy, and as mentioned earlier in this thread, Zanzil in Stranglethorn vale is a Necromancer.

By the time you fight all of them in Nax, they've more or less slipped over to the undead catagory.

Zanzil however...
Edited by Croecell on 29/09/2011 19:51 BST
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
29/09/2011 19:27Posted by Requiànà
He seems to raise the dead mostly through brew and voodoo

I would say another way could always be a mix of organic Engineering and Alchemy, somewhat in more of the way Professor Putricide play with corpses. (As far as I know Professor Putricide isn't a necromancer, then again not sure you should call his... pets however)
Edited by Valliecane on 29/09/2011 20:41 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
29/09/2011 20:40Posted by Valliecane
I would say another way could always be a mix of organic Engineering and Alchemy, somewhat in more of the way Professor Putricide play with corpses. (As far as I know Professor Putricide isn't a necromancer, then again not sure you should call his... pets however)

Good point. As you say, that wouldn't technically be necromancy, but you could achieve something close to what necromancy can do. The engineering part isn't that far off even. Look at Thaddius.
Reply Quote
I'm awfully tempted to make a forsaken necromancer more every day. You'd get away with it, y'know. I think, with a little imagination, it'd be fine to roleplay say, and unholy DK as a necromancer, provided you wear robes and all that. Permanent ghouls can be fun.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
29/09/2011 18:42Posted by Tarya

90-95% would still be with the scourge as they make themselves the enemy of everyone by performing this demonic magic, the scourge is the only safe place for a necromancer.

The forsaken may still have some, though there were never alot because a necromancer cant bring an undead creature back with free will, they can only make mindless slaves and the forsaken would never do that to others into the mindless things they once were.

Of course some mages may for one reason or another be drawn to study necromancy, but they would live as a hermit to do so as discovery would mean death.

You would have to be a former mage really, last i read all necromancers were originally mages who heard the lichkings telepathic call and journeyed to northrend to learn this forbiden art and gain immortality.

Necromancy is a form of fel magic so you'd need some magic ability.

Humans who lost loved ones.
Gnomes with more curiosity than is good for them.
Dwarves with their strong sense of history would not desecrate their dead or others.
Night elves would never study necromancy as it goes against everything elune teaches.
Dreanei would not be necromancers as its a practice done by the eredar.
Worgen having the feud with the forsaken they do would also not study the art.

Orc's would avoid it because it was a practice followed by the shadow council and the ruin they brought on the horde is well known and hated.
Troll's would follow this path though again in secret away from others.
Tauren would never practice necromancy it goes against everything they believe in.
Goblins would do it if there was some form of profit in it.
Bloodelves would not do this as they hate the scourge.

However none of this would apply if they were killed then brought back and trained by the scourge to be necromancers.

Finnaly, how does a necromancer turne unbdead? I know they mostly are, but no idea how. Is it the unholy magic slowly killing them? Did the Scourge kill them?

Using necromantic magic slowly steals your vitality sucking your life force away slowly each time you use your new powers, like fel magic use the more often you draw on that power the quicker the damage is done.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Out of curiosity, what if someone were a Death Knight. However, this Death Knight holds a stronger affinity for Unholy magic, than for melee combat. I understand this wouldn't technically be a Necromancer....

However, wouldn't they still be able to perform Necromancy, be accepted by the Alliance or Horde (somewhat) as they are a Death Knight... And ultimately, hold all the powers of a Necromancer? They might even call themselves a Necromancer, rather than a Death Knight, even though they are obviously a Death Knight.

Just a thought i had. It seems to me to be a fair deal more logical than someone actually being a Necromancer, not part of the Scourge.
Reply Quote
74 Worgen Rogue
Out of curiosity, what if someone were a Death Knight. However, this Death Knight holds a stronger affinity for Unholy magic, than for melee combat. I understand this wouldn't technically be a Necromancer....

However, wouldn't they still be able to perform Necromancy, be accepted by the Alliance or Horde (somewhat) as they are a Death Knight... And ultimately, hold all the powers of a Necromancer? They might even call themselves a Necromancer, rather than a Death Knight, even though they are obviously a Death Knight.

Just a thought i had. It seems to me to be a fair deal more logical than someone actually being a Necromancer, not part of the Scourge.

What you're describing is a first generation death knight. They were the first necromancers within the Horde, and were more mounted spellcasters than frontline melee troops. There should be no problems with them in the Horde or Alliance either. Just remember that if you did RP out such a knight, you might want to take the limitations of the first gen DK's into account: you threw them in a melee, they'd be so much meat within a few seconds. They'd be relying on spells and undead minions for everything combat related, so death coils and ghouls all the way.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
Ah.... But still, isn't that exactly what a Necromancer should be? So considering the idea was an alternate to a real Necromancer, this would work fine.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Death Knight
Directly from Wowwiki to answer if they are undead.

Necromancers are spellcasters whose magics manipulate the power of death. In calling upon this power, necromancers risk being consumed by it — until eventually they join the ranks of the undead.[1] Necromancers twist arcane magic to manipulate the power of death. Commanding the undead, generally in the service of the Scourge, they gradually take on the characteristics of the dead — hollow eyes, shambling gaits, pallid and sunken skin, foul odors and so forth.[2]
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
30/09/2011 03:58Posted by Restan
What you're describing is a first generation death knight. They were the first necromancers within the Horde, and were more mounted spellcasters than frontline melee troops. There should be no problems with them in the Horde or Alliance either

No if any 1st gen even still exist they are still members of the scourge, none of them were at the ebonhold when they broke away from arthas.

Add to that the fact 1st gen were the corpse of a stormwind knight infused with the sould of an orc warlock, the only race you could use to represent one would be human and if a 1st gen tried to enter SW they'd be killed on sight.

29/09/2011 23:11Posted by Racathor

Dk's of the third generation were disposable shock troops, they were not taught necromancy they were shown one simple spell that could bring up a mindless creature, necromancers are rare making up less than 1% of the scourges forces you would not send one out to be bait.

I could give you a gun loaded with ammo and cocked ready to shoot but that would not make you a soldier, in the same way knowing a little necromancy does not make you a necromancer.

Dk's are not arcane spell users and so could not use the magic needed to perform necromancy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Necromancy is outlawed in the Alliance and only just barely tolerated by the Horde for the sake of the Forsaken, but it should certainly not be practiced in the open because, generally speaking, anyone who isn't a Forsaken would probably hate you for it, perhaps moreso than if you were a warlock.

Other than that, the Cult of the Damned has shown that someone of any race might consider it.

So basically, you can be any race but you won't be openly welcomed by any faction if they know what you are. (The Forsaken would possibly accept you, but know to "hide" you from other races.)

As for how they become undead, it is most likely a combination of the Necromantic powers corrupting and slowly killing them, and them practicing their Necromantic arts on themselves in the hopes of attaining immortality.

As for classes that would suit, Death Knights are Undead Necromancer Knights. On the one hand, probably best suited for playing a Necromancer, but on the other hand, you are stripping the character of half the class. The other class that might suit would be a Warlock. Just don't summon any demons while IC.

For more information on Death Knights, a collection of lore and speculation can be found here: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2504881097
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
If you plan to RP a necromancer still make it a DK - All those Warlocks RPing Necromancers are sickening.

30/09/2011 11:33Posted by Cleoma
I could give you a gun loaded with ammo and cocked ready to shoot but that would not make you a soldier, in the same way knowing a little necromancy does not make you a necromancer.

This.

30/09/2011 12:58Posted by Koránith
The other class that might suit would be a Warlock

While we do have shadow spells, I would still say its a bad idea, (See Cleoma's post)
However in this case it goes for in-game mechanics.

Your basicly a necromancer who cant use any necromancer-related spells. (I wouldn't call shadow necromancy - Even if it do make up some of their offensive in-person damage.)

Only thing you would have to do was get Book of the dead and have a 1min undead minion every 15 min.

I dont see any reason for another class then Death Knight to be a Necromancer other then if you really, really hate blue eyes.

A Death Knight have almost everything a necromancer should have (In talk of game mechanic spells), you get a undead minion, Army of the Dead, Undead skin, "undead" voice and from what I know necromancers seems to have a thing for ice / frost spells (Only really based on liches, but still). At which you have both Chains of Ice and so on.
Edited by Valliecane on 30/09/2011 13:47 BST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]