Inactive Guild Leader Replacement

Community
In the event that a guild leader takes a leave of absence and remains inactive for an extended period of time, it can be difficult for some guilds to carry on as normal. To help assist with these situations, we’re introducing a new system in patch 4.3 known as “inactive guild leader replacement” that will allow players of the appropriate rank to take over leadership of a guild from an inactive guild leader via the Guild tab.

The way inactive guild leader replacement works is pretty straightforward. If a guild leader’s character is inactive for 90 days, a notification will appear in the Guild News & Events feed which can only be seen by guild members who are eligible to become the new guild leader. To determine eligibility, the game will look for the highest ranked character in the guild that’s logged on in the past week, and any guild member from that rank will be able to request guild leadership simply by clicking on the notification.

As with many actions in World of Warcraft, clicking on the notification will open up a confirmation window which, once accepted, will transition leadership from the inactive guild leader to the first player to request leadership. If guild leadership is changed, the old guild leader will be notified via email to his or her registered Battle.net address. While some players may need to log out and back in before their Guild tab will visually update, the change in leadership will be immediate, with all ranks and permissions remaining in-tact.

Please note that if you’re an active leader of a guild, this system should not affect you or your guild. The goal of inactive guild leader replacement is simply to allow guilds which have found themselves without leadership for a long period of time to resolve the situation on their own without the need to contact our In-Game Support department.

Inactive guild leader replacement is currently live on the PTR, but keep in mind that it may be difficult to test, as a guild leader will need to be inactive for a full 30 days before the option to transition leadership will become available.
Edited by Nakatoir on 23/04/2012 10:12 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Just to be clear it's the character not the account that has to be inactive for 30 days this to come into effect?

Just something to bear in mind for anyone that often plays on other characters, even if they are in the same guild.

Reply Quote
55 Worgen Death Knight
So if the guild leader comes back the guild he worked had to make etc, he can't get it back and it'll stay with the officer if he doesn't decide to give it back?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I was in an old guild on the PTR, and the guild leader transfer was fine in the current incarnation. Just thumps up for this.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Just to be clear here ...

I am a guild leader of a level 25 guild, and due to recruitment not going to well, we have decided to up sticks and move to another guild on the same realm.

Are you saying, that if my GL character for the old guild goes inactive for 30 days, a more active person in the guild, will be able to take control (that is, of all the gold, and items within the guild bank) automatically and remove my character from the guild, even though they'd put no effort into collecting the items contained within it's bank?

If so, should I just go ahead and empty that bank now and distribute the proceeds to all those that DO deserve the wealth?

P.S. Those that do deserve the wealth are also in the new guild!

*EDIT* I would propose that it would be prudent to get the "current" GL's intentions before transferring ownership.
Edited by Hulkamania on 30/09/2011 17:52 BST
Reply Quote
Don't you think that it may make this situation even worse? Don't you think that guild masters who will want to quit the game for a long time period will kick all of the guild members cuz it is much more harder(or even impossible now) to lvlup new guild from scratch then recruit new members when you return to game? I think that this is a vary bad idea.
Edited by Людовег on 30/09/2011 17:51 BST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
30/09/2011 17:13Posted by Nidrorian
If guild leadership is changed, the old guild leader will be notified via email to his or her registered Battle.net address.

What action will the old guild leader be able to take upon receiving this email?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
A neat addition to this system would be to notify the inactive GM at say 20 days inactivity through email to make sure he gets a chance to become active again.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
Just to be clear here ...

I am a guild leader of a level 25 guild, and due to recruitment not going to well, we have decided to up sticks and move to another guild on the same realm.

Are you saying, that if my GL character for the old guild goes inactive for 30 days, a more active person in the guild, will be able to take control (that is, of all the gold, and items within the guild bank) automatically and remove my character from the guild, even though they'd put no effort into collecting the items contained within it's bank?

If so, should I just go ahead and empty that bank now and distribute the proceeds to all those that DO deserve the wealth?

P.S. Those that do deserve the wealth are also in the new guild!

*EDIT* I would propose that it would be prudent to get the "current" GL's intentions before transferring ownership.

As the leader of a guild that recently collapsed we have substantial items and money left in the guild bank, i am contemplating moving to a new guild or migrating and this is exactly my concern.

I don't want someone that has been inactive logging in and helping themselves to close to 150kg in the guild bank without any prior checking. We still have many alts in the guild along with a couple of casual members, this feature makes me think I'd better sell off the items and move that gold somewhere safe.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
For those of you who don't know.

This is just an automatic version of the current system.

Previously an Officer had to open a Ticket to Customer Support, and a GM would then pass Guild Leadership on to the next highest ranking Officer in the guild.

Nothing has changed from the previous system.

All you have to do as a Guild Master is log on at least once every 30 days, or do the decent thing and pass on Guild Leadership to someone you trust and is active.
Reply Quote
88 Dwarf Paladin
This is very similar to the system used in Lord of the Rings Online. There, if a Kinship (guild) leader is inactive for 35 days, their successor (a pre-nominated person) can "usurp" leadership by pressing a button. 10 days after that (45 days total) the usurp option becomes available to officers.

In LotRO eventually after around 65 days any member has the ability to gain control, which reading the post is probably not going to happen in the Blizzard system. But in LotRO, if the usurp function is used, the ex-guild leader has no say in what happens to the guild and has no recourse to have leadership given back to them if they come back to the game in the future.
Edited by Ektar on 30/09/2011 18:16 BST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Death Knight
What if i go to say Spain for a 6 week holiday? I come back and find the guild has been taken over or even worse the bank looted, everyone kicked etc etc. What then?
Reply Quote
88 Dwarf Paladin
30/09/2011 18:23Posted by Adam
What if i go to say Spain for a 6 week holiday? I come back and find the guild has been taken over or even worse the bank looted, everyone kicked etc etc. What then?

Reading the original post the key point is "a notification will appear in the Guild News & Events feed which can only be seen by guild members who are eligible to become the new guild leader."

My assumption is this will be based on guild ranks. If you don't trust the people in your guilds highest ranks not to be stupid, then why are they officers?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Warlock
I'm sorry but this is bull, there needs to be a way to prevent this as a guild leader, not all guilds are made and run in a totally generic way like this rule suggests.

We need to be able to define our guilds, what type of leadership structure we are basing it on, how the guild bank is supposed to be handled (community property or leader regulated) and so on, in this definition we need to have options to say who owns the guild (the GM and him alone, the officers, or everyone as equals).

Anything short of a solid definable system is way to exploitable or as in this case exploitable unless the GM pays he's sub every month without any breaks ... EVER, or that he needs to kick all in guild that he doesn't know in RL and can physically meet.

This cost efficient development needs to stop, the guild system was "remade" with Cataclysm yet we still have the same old "unknown has left the guild" and similar, we get less and less fresh raid and dungeon bosses per tier than ever before and no new single or duo play content at all, everyone is hurdled in to raiding as the only end-game content yet we get less bosses.

No wonder people get bored standing in SW/ORG canceling there subs.
Edited by Alyssà on 30/09/2011 18:45 BST
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
30 days is too short. it should be increased to 45-60 days
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
30/09/2011 18:23Posted by Adam

It seems to be a quite, worst case scenario.

If you are the current guild leader, you yourself promoted the officer/officers that are next in charge.
Hopefully there is at least 1 trusted person that you would have in the next highest position of your guild.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
I wonder what the developers had in mind when they came up with this feature...
Was it (mostly) situations where a guild leader, on purpose or because of circumstances, becomes inactive but doesn't want his members to suffer under his absence?
Or is it more to just get rid of inactive guild leaders and let the guild (possibly) carry on as if this person never mattered?

30/09/2011 17:13Posted by Nidrorian
The way inactive guild leader replacement works is pretty straightforward. If a guild leader’s character is inactive for 30 days,

If the first, I would imagine that this number can be configured to be more or less days?

To determine eligibility, the game will look for the highest ranked character in the guild that’s logged on in the past week, and any guild member from that rank will be able to request guild leadership simply by clicking on the notification.

Does this mean that we, as guild leaders, can do absolutely nothing to prevent control of our guild being taken away from us permanently after as little a time as 30 days?
(Long time in a row to not log on? Perhaps, anything compared to 4+ years of being leader of the guild that you founded? No.)

The goal of inactive guild leader replacement is simply to allow guilds which have found themselves without leadership for a long period of time to resolve the situation on their own without the need to contact our In-Game Support department.

Suppose that kind of answers my first question.
I'm assuming this then means that this feature is NOT optional, it CANNOT be changed (in it's state after release, naturally) and the only way to be sure that you keep control of your guild is to kick everyone?

This kind of makes me sad. Sure, 30 days is quite a long time for an 'active' player not to log on, and if I played other characters actively I'd definitely go out of my way once every month to log on my GM character, but still, situations might occur when someone actually cannot be on his/her GM character for a month, or longer. And for the system to simply give away leadership like that seems a bit harsh to me.

I realise it's still in testing and subject to change, but all my questions and feedback are directed at the information given here.

Personally I'd like to see this myself...
Mostly configurational stuff.
-The choice wether or not to have this on in the first place. There could be a field in Guild Information where all members, regardless of rank, can see wether or not it's enabled, so they can decide wether or not they'd like to run the risk of being in a guild that might someday have an inactive leader without anyone to replace him.
-Configuration of the time that has to pass before this feature kicks in.
-Configuration of ranks which are eligible for this.
-Ability for the ex-GM to regain control just as easily.
-Configuration of the new GM's (temporary if the point above would be possible) rights. Meaning that the old GM can set what the "temporary" one can and can't do.

My point being that this should not be forced on all guilds. But rather something to be activated by choice, mostly by guild leaders who want to avoid having their members suffer under their absence, like I said earlier. Or for the guildleaders who really aren't that attached to their guild to begin with and would be okay with the loss of control.

TL:DR: Please don't force this on us.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I think 30 days is way too short, that's basically !@#$s over everyone that goes on extended business trips and longer holidays.

I always read most of the blue posts in fansite trackers and I've seen a good amount of sheer mind boggling posts about transfer of guild-leadership.
This is the cherry on the cake , I find this standardised system totally ridiculous.
Reply Quote
88 Dwarf Paladin
My point being that this should not be forced on all guilds. But rather something to be activated by choice, mostly by guild leaders who want to avoid having their members suffer under their absence, like I said earlier. Or for the guildleaders who really aren't that attached to their guild to begin with and would be okay with the loss of control.

TL:DR: Please don't force this on us.

A point that was mentioned earlier, and that is being missed by so many people is, while this is a new feature, it is not a new policy.

In any guild where the leadership is inactive for 30 days, an officer can petition a GM to make them the leader. This is not something new, its just streamlining the process to remove the need for GM intervention.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
THIS SYSTEM IS ALREADY IN PLACE.

IT IS NOW SIMPLY AUTOMATIC.

Caps for you blind sods who don't read properly.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]