Heirloom mechanics

(Locked)

Community
We would like to share an insight on the approach that is the philosophy behind the heirlooms at the moment. This is still something that may change, so please do not take it as set in stone.

In short, the developers agree that the process of mailing heirlooms around constantly is a little annoying. We'd prefer to try and work ourselves away from the method of mailing out BoA items in the future, like pets, mounts, etc. To that end, we have some design goals in mind that would improve this sort of item distribution system. And with those design goals have come some ideas for changing heirloom mechanics. This is sort of contrary to the idea that was shared in the past about just designing the system to allow players to mail their heirlooms all around their accounts without realm restrictions.

That's all of the information we can share at the moment, but we feel like it's worth pointing out that the design philosophy we shared earlier isn't so set in stone -- we're reevaluating these types of systems as we look toward the future. World of Warcraft is a living evolving world, and so the systems and mechanics that make it possible.
44 Night Elf Rogue
So we may get this? my home realm is full of character lvl 30+ and I don't want them deleted D:
90 Orc Warlock
Excellent.
95 Human Warrior
sweet
If this is realm wide then its hardly a change worth mentioning, if its so we can move them across servers, then finally.... :)
91 Night Elf Rogue
06/10/2011 16:35Posted by Golden
yay thier gonna fix summat else that aint broken

It's not a fix, it's an improvement.
And you're wrong, as long as it's not possible to properly transfer gear that is supposed to be Bind-On-Account, the system is broken.
90 Human Warlock
The new system if I read it correctly means there might be heirlooms across all servers and they are automatically on your characters when you create them.

This is my read on it, I hope it counts for all heirlooms, like I read that if you have any BoA pets they are automatically learnt.
100 Human Warrior
Well that's cryptic.

Edited by Furygrip on 06/10/2011 16:45 BST
85 Draenei Paladin
Alternatively, remove the stupid things from the game entirely.
85 Gnome Priest
06/10/2011 16:52Posted by Quenista
Alternatively, remove the stupid things from the game entirely.

Everyone has access to heirlooms, there's not a single valid argument against heirlooms.
85 Goblin Rogue
06/10/2011 16:45Posted by Furygrip
Well that's cryptic.

Indeed it is.
But from what I understand, the developers want to remove all the mails you get from BoA pets and the need to mail heirlooms to other characters.

What this will end up being? noone knows. My guess however is a new type of bank or NPC from wich you can get BoAs. So kinda like a vendor wich only sells BoA items wich you have earned.
85 Draenei Shaman
06/10/2011 16:05Posted by Vaneras
To that end, we have some design goals in mind that would improve this sort of item distribution system. And with those design goals have come some ideas for changing heirloom mechanics. This is sort of contrary to the idea that was shared in the past about just designing the system to allow players to mail their heirlooms all around their accounts without realm restrictions.

I don't mean to sound snarky but if you don't tell us anything about what those design goals are then there wasn't much point in saying anything. All we know is that you're 'doing something' with heirlooms. Some more info would be handy.
85 Night Elf Death Knight
I would love to see an heirloom shield. I mean we have Swords, Axes, Maces, Staves, Guns, Bows and Daggers. But no Shields, Fist weapons and Polearms. Ok there doesnt have to be Fist weapons but atleast shields and polearms.
- World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Death Knight
06/10/2011 17:03Posted by Shenova
To that end, we have some design goals in mind that would improve this sort of item distribution system. And with those design goals have come some ideas for changing heirloom mechanics. This is sort of contrary to the idea that was shared in the past about just designing the system to allow players to mail their heirlooms all around their accounts without realm restrictions.

I don't mean to sound snarky but if you don't tell us anything about what those design goals are then there wasn't much point in saying anything. All we know is that you're 'doing something' with heirlooms. Some more info would be handy.

Well, as the he says; "allow players to mail their heirlooms all around their accounts without realm restrictions." Meaning they'll be able to be transferred to other realms.

The question is how will they pull it off.. personally I think it will be interesting to see. :)
Well, as the he says; "allow players to mail their heirlooms all around their accounts without realm restrictions." Meaning they'll be able to be transferred to other realms.

The question is how will they pull it off.. personally I think it will be interesting to see. :)

Void Storage
MVP - WoW, Diablo III
85 Draenei Shaman
06/10/2011 17:32Posted by Xiin
didnt they say that boa was like some huge misprint that only means bind on realm ? or if your daft enough to fall for it, buy 2 accounts (american stealth charges are legendary)

No they did not say that at all. Nor do I see why you continually change characters to post in the same thread with equal negative opinions. Tantamount to trolling if I may say.

Bind on Realm would not describe it as this would imply that anyone on the realm could use it. Nor is it bind on realm since it can be moved to other realms with characters. So the only possibility would be "Bind on Battle.net Account and Current Realm" which is rather long.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I understood very little of that but from what I gathered it was a very long way of saying

You might be able to send heirlooms cross server. But you might not.
That is all o/
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]