Apology from Mike Morhaime

Community
Dear members of the Blizzard community,

I have read your feedback and comments about this year’s BlizzCon, and I have also read the feedback to the apology from Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain. I’d like to respond to some of your feedback here.

As president of Blizzard, I take full responsibility for everything that occurs at BlizzCon.

It was shortsighted and insensitive to use the video at all, even in censored form. The language used in the original version, including the slurs and use of sexual orientation as an insult, is not acceptable, period. We realize now that having even an edited version at the show was counter to the standards we try to maintain in our forums and in our games. Doing so was an error in judgment, and we regret it.

The bottom line is we deeply apologize for our mistakes and for hurting or offending anyone. We want you to have fun at our events, and we want everyone to feel welcome. We’re proud to be part of a huge and diverse community, and I am proud that so many aspects of the community are represented within Blizzard itself.

As a leader of Blizzard, and a member of the band, I truly hope you will accept my humblest apology.

– Mike Morhaime
President, Blizzard Entertainment
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Looks like they saw the error of their ways. Hopefully now people can move on :)
Reply Quote
71 Human Mage
Really nice of Mike to have done this. Thank you :)
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
what
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
While I wasn't one of the people to get offended by this, admitting that some did, and that it was in poor taste is an outstanding thing. Thanks, and as said, I hope people accept this and move on.
Reply Quote
38 Gnome Warrior
Okay, thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
This was nice of him. The video while somehow funny should have never been endorsed by blizzard.

Apology accepted.
Edited by Omega on 28/10/2011 12:36 BST
Reply Quote
82 Orc Rogue
Vaneras, u just cost me like half an A4 page writing of feelings about how the horde just are aggressive an competetive...
i dont even feel like a need to forgive anything, maybe Corpsegrind was a bit over the line, but hey, i speak to all my friends even (except for the girls) and that how i talk to them, i dont think a have a friend whom i havent named a homosexual or something (no offence intended here), its all just for fun in my ears, AND I KNOW IM HORDE, but yag on me, try to take me down. my confidence is unbreakable...
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Thank you for this, the video should not have been released and the initial reaction of blizz employees on the forum was lacking.

I hope we all leared something here,

Game on!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
No apologies needed in my opinion. THAT'S a wrong direction to go in, THAT'S why we're gonna have pandas. WoW is becoming Hello Kitty 2.0.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Well done, I never understood how any player playing the alliance can be offended by this but It is surely fine for them to see that Blizz managemend feel it was mistake if so many ppl feel touched.

I had nice laugh about it, i think most of us did some kind of role playing even IRL and in WoW it was always related to sexual orientation of BE or to allience as a group of ....you know.

Just want to point out, for all the crying babies, that when this amazing game will get to the end, you will find out one pure fact.
In real life, this all is common and there will be nobody like Blizz boss to take care about you. And best defense against those things is only to laugh at ppl who you think was saying stupid things and insults.
Reply Quote
70 Undead Hunter
Well done, I never understood how any player playing the alliance can be offended by this but It is surely fine for them to see that Blizz managemend feel it was mistake if so many ppl feel touched.

I had nice laugh about it, i think most of us did some kind of role playing even IRL and in WoW it was always related to sexual orientation of BE or to allience as a group of ....you know.

Just want to point out, for all the crying babies, that when this amazing game will get to the end, you will find out one pure fact.
In real life, this all is common and there will be nobody like Blizz boss to take care about you. And best defense against those things is only to laugh at ppl who you think was saying stupid things and insults.

This has nothing to do with aliance players. ppl got offended because they tought that it was ok to air a video filled with sexual ofensive words, and a guy saying that all aliance players should kill themselfs. If it was you or me, or any other player saying something like that in-game or in the forums you would get a permaban.
And they totaly forgot that there was minors attending to the event and watching the livestream.
Edited by Chyie on 28/10/2011 13:01 BST
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
:) Eventho it is childish to be offended by game.. and especially faction in-game,
I play both factions, mainly horde, and I kinda laughed at it (:
Reply Quote
85 Orc Mage
What happened :L?
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
28/10/2011 13:06Posted by Drakthol

^this

What happened ? What's that video's name ?
Reply Quote
71 Human Mage
28/10/2011 13:06Posted by Drakthol

Check forums you will find out if you don't know. would hate this apology thread to just turn into something else.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Priest
28/10/2011 12:48Posted by Vargur
No apologies needed in my opinion. THAT'S a wrong direction to go in, THAT'S why we're gonna have pandas. WoW is becoming Hello Kitty 2.0.

What was evident was that there were RL sensibilities hurt, and Blizzcon was an event that occurred in the real world and sexuality and swearing ARE things that are enforced on the forums (with the rather strict language filters and the moderator actions against "circumvented" language, and in game.

28/10/2011 12:08Posted by Vaneras
The language used in the original version, including the slurs and use of sexual orientation as an insult, is not acceptable, period.

Given that most, if not all, of WoW's games are directed to a 13+ audience it is naive to consider that in the age of the internet all material revolving around WoW and Blizzard would not be of interest to those minors.

Given that in some barbaric parts of the world (/cough United States of America) homophobic slurs and physical violence against homosexual teenagers do occur, not to mention a number of suicides of said homosexual teenagers. Blizzard's audience, a large proportion of which are US citizens, would see this material and may use it to reinforce their bigotry.

Blizzard would be best seen to not "condone" such violence in the people that they employ, if only for a gig at Blizzcon. As such Mike has recognised that this was a judgement, in error, and was man enough to take responsibility for it, which he should be acknowledged, at the very least.

Remember, also, that there were absolutely no apologies referring to "Horde Favouritism" which is and will still remain a contentious issue, but that is "in game" contentious issue and really nothing that can apply in RL. So it is still something that people can whine about.
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Warrior
Good gesture, props for that.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2yvZM1wn04
That's what happened.
Basically an old video of the lead singer of cannibal corpse hating on alliance in an interview :p
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]