How do I completely delete my account?

(Locked)

So I wanna completely delete my WoW account (for personal reasons) but want to keep the Battle.Net account. How do I go about doing this? Or better yet, can I give it to a friend somehow?
Edited by Balwer on 23/11/2011 16:40 GMT
90 Tauren Paladin
23/11/2011 16:37Posted by Balwer
So I wanna completely delete my WoW account (for personal reasons) but want to keep the Battle.Net account. How do I go about doing this? Or better yet, can I give it to a friend somehow?

You can't give away your account, as for completely deleting the WoW account, Account & Payment can walk you through the details they require in order to delete it, and they can be contacted here:
http://eu.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_GB&articleId=23210
Blizzard Employee
Greetings Balwer,

As Fiskerdin mentions, it’s not possible to give or otherwise trade away your WoW account, as both WoW and Battle.net accounts are non-transferrable and should only ever be accessed and played on by the person whose name is on the accounts themselves.

You can, however, request permanent deletion of a WoW (or Battle.net account) by sending a postal letter to our European Headquarters in France, providing the following information;

• Your Battle.net account name
  • Your World of Warcraft account name
  • Full name registered on the account
  • Your full address including postal or zip code
  • Your Secret Question and Answer information
  • A legible scan or photo of a piece of government-issued photo identification, such as a passport or driving license matching the first and last name of the registered account owner

You’ll also need to include a signed letter confirming that you wish the deletion to take place, as the CD-Keys used on the account in question would be lost during the deletion process and this cannot be reversed at a later date.

If you’re interested in obtaining more information about permanent account deletion, or your alternative options if you’d simply like to take a break for a while, then you’re very welcome to get in touch with our Account and Payment team directly using the link provided above.

Best of luck. :)
MVP - World of Warcraft
90 Worgen Death Knight
<Snip>, just give us a button <Snip>

It's not gonna happen due to legal reasons & to prevent people from deleting their accounts out of frustration since it's a permanent action. I would suggest you to read the forum guidelines before posting in the future.

With that said, I really miss Neph. :( <3
Edited by Gontier on 21/05/2013 21:11 BST
90 Night Elf Druid
<very well dressed people>, just give us a button <if that's possible or an explanation as to why that I can understand easily>

They can't. As account deletion required the deletion of personal data that is then irretreviable it's not something they can do without a written request and being sure it's the account holder requesting it. They have to abide by laws on data handling even if it's an inconvience for customers.

You can cancel your account subscription so that you won't be charged any more and the account will be frozen once the current gametime runs out.

Frankly I don't understand why you're so upset or even need to delete your account in the first place.
90 Night Elf Hunter
With that said, I really miss Neph. :( <3

Indeed :'(

-Faylanna
Edited by Leothaine on 21/05/2013 21:18 BST
MVP
12 Blood Elf Priest
*Shoves padlock in*
61 Blood Elf Hunter
They can't. As account deletion required the deletion of personal data that is then irretreviable it's not something they can do without a written request and being sure it's the account holder requesting it. They have to abide by laws on data handling even if it's an inconvience for customers.

source? which law are you referring to? this is very hard to believe for several reasons:

1) when requesting deletion of personal data from a non-gaming company or institution, you don't have to go through all this. you usually have to submit a written and signed request, with proof that you are authorised to make such request. a copy of your id is usually (read 'never') not required (it would also create an endless loophole, as requests to remove personal data would only be accepted when another form of personal data is submitted);

2) the creation of your wow account was done without all this. if the account creation can be completed by simply typing random name, address, etc and supplying a game code / time card, requiring all of the above (including a copy of your id card) for modification of data thus created (or deletion) is completely disproportionate and unjustified.

understandably, blizzard tries to retain customers - even those who are on a break - by any means necessary (e.g. by making the complete cancellation as complicated as possible), however that does not make these practices any more acceptable.

in my opinion this has nothing to do with existing laws, it is simply a (questionable) part of blizzard's privacy policy / terms of use.
90 Draenei Shaman
21/05/2013 23:55Posted by Nimloth

source? which law are you referring to? this is very hard to believe for several reasons:

1) when requesting deletion of personal data from a non-gaming company or institution, you don't have to go through all this. you usually have to submit a written and signed request, with proof that you are authorised to make such request. a copy of your id is usually (read 'never') not required (it would also create an endless loophole, as requests to remove personal data would only be accepted when another form of personal data is submitted);

2) the creation of your wow account was done without all this. if the account creation can be completed by simply typing random name, address, etc and supplying a game code / time card, requiring all of the above (including a copy of your id card) for modification of data thus created (or deletion) is completely disproportionate and unjustified.

understandably, blizzard tries to retain customers - even those who are on a break - by any means necessary (e.g. by making the complete cancellation as complicated as possible), however that does not make these practices any more acceptable.

in my opinion this has nothing to do with existing laws, it is simply a (questionable) part of blizzard's privacy policy / terms of use.

And how would you react if your account was hacked while you were on a break and irretrievably deleted?
90 Tauren Paladin
21/05/2013 23:55Posted by Nimloth

No, personal information submitted in regards to validation must be removed after being used for said validation.

It's legally required because Blizzard needs to ensure that they have the appropriate permissions in order to do, as was said if you were hacked and they deleted your stuff, they didn't have your permission, you probably wouldn't be too happy if someone hacking your account could delete it permanently.

It's worth noting this action is actually about deleting the data, not simply closing an account and making it inaccessible to you.

Not at all, you can easily cancel your account, you do not need all information regarding your account deleted in order to stop being a customer.
61 Blood Elf Hunter
It's legally required because Blizzard needs to ensure that they have the appropriate permissions in order to do, as was said if you were hacked and they deleted your stuff, they didn't have your permission, you probably wouldn't be too happy if someone hacking your account could delete it permanently.

well, my whole post disappeared just as i was posting it and being so lazy, i simply don't want to start all over. so just in a couple of lines:

1) my main problem here is the frequent use of 'legally' to support people's arguments in this thread. to my knowledge there is no law asking for this. blizzard goes way beyond what is required by law in order to request a company to stop processing your personal data.

2) what i meant by disproportionate is this (in a nutshell): when you create an account, you can enter anybody's credit card info (if you remember it) without blizzard actually doing any checks that you are authorised to do so. yet the reverse operation requires to much more. why? if you can charge somebody's wallet with a few simple clicks and good memory on your side, what makes the opposite so difficult to achieve? hacking - while unfortunate for the customer - is not one of the reasons mentioned in law that governs personal data protection.

anyway, not to derail the thread even further, if you point me to a french legal act (presumably, as blizzard eu is based in france) that states this obligation on blizzard's side to request all such information, i'll stand corrected, but until then to me this is just people defending blizzard's internal policy that goes beyond what is really necessary.
90 Night Elf Druid
22/05/2013 08:00Posted by Nimloth
blizzard goes way beyond what is required by law in order to request a company to stop processing your personal data.

Can you link the relavent law to back this up?

Tbh I'm just going by advice I was given in a similar situation with regards requesting a company (in this case a debt management company) removing personal data held on me as at the time I found the uk ICO's website a pain to navigate.

As it was explained to me a company is allowed to make reasonable requests to verify the person in question has a right to access the data and request it be removed. I don't think the guidelines state they have to ask for ID but I very much doubt that it's mentioned as excessive.

After all it's just common sense for them to take steps to ensure permanent deletion of an account (considering the money spent, irreversible process and the fact the keys themselves would not be reusable) is by the account holder considering account theft. While the guidance might not mention "hacking" I'm sure it has provisions for preventing data theft and misuse.

Out of curiosity Why are you so involved in this?
what if a hacker press that button you want ???

what do you think will happen then ???
83 Pandaren Priest
You would have far greater issues if the hacker has the paperwork needed to delete your account.
90 Tauren Paladin
22/05/2013 08:00Posted by Nimloth

well, my whole post disappeared just as i was posting it and being so lazy, i simply don't want to start all over. so just in a couple of lines:

1) my main problem here is the frequent use of 'legally' to support people's arguments in this thread. to my knowledge there is no law asking for this. blizzard goes way beyond what is required by law in order to request a company to stop processing your personal data.

2) what i meant by disproportionate is this (in a nutshell): when you create an account, you can enter anybody's credit card info (if you remember it) without blizzard actually doing any checks that you are authorised to do so. yet the reverse operation requires to much more. why? if you can charge somebody's wallet with a few simple clicks and good memory on your side, what makes the opposite so difficult to achieve? hacking - while unfortunate for the customer - is not one of the reasons mentioned in law that governs personal data protection.

anyway, not to derail the thread even further, if you point me to a french legal act (presumably, as blizzard eu is based in france) that states this obligation on blizzard's side to request all such information, i'll stand corrected, but until then to me this is just people defending blizzard's internal policy that goes beyond what is really necessary.

Well to your knowledge you don't know what "stop processing your personal data" means, as the definition of processing your personal data includes deletion, what you're talking about is something else entirely.

You are right that there is no explicit mention that says they have to require written consent and all the validation that they do, but when processing data despite also needing full unambiguous consent, the risk of said process must be taken into consideration.

In this case it is a permanent removal of data, which obviously is taken seriously, as they do have an obligation to the person whose data they are processing, contrary the information being added presents no grave risk neither to the person nor their data, which is why it isn't necessary for the creation of an account.

But of course, this is simply an account for a game, an account with a bank, or a loan, or other sensitive stuff would usually require more security in the form of ID cards, social security numbers and so forth.
Edited by Fiskerdin on 22/05/2013 11:22 BST
61 Blood Elf Hunter
Posted by Nimloth
blizzard goes way beyond what is required by law in order to request a company to stop processing your personal data.

Can you link the relavent law to back this up?

that is only my opinion, apologies if it did not come across too clearly.

as for relevant law, that is a bit tricky, as each country applies its own internal law in this field, however, they share common principles with the data protection directive (95/46/EC). transposition of this directive is done individually by member states and that's why i was asking for reference to the french law governing this as there may be some differences that would allow this. which, btw, i don't think is the case.

one of the principles of the directive is proportionality and that's where i think the current account cancellation procedure is questionable. many eu countries use id cards for a whole range of operations, including accessing medical records, dealing with local public services and similar. id cards contain way more personal information than what is necessary for the purpose of this simple account cancellation operation. moreover, considering that the whole wow service is entirely electronic (the game itself is a virtual world), requiring copies of id cards is to me completely over the top.

and while still on this topic, blizzard has other ways to verify your requests, there can be validation emails (assuming of course the basic precaution of not using the same credentials for all your online activities), security questions, blizzard authenticators....

Out of curiosity Why are you so involved in this?

i'm not really involved in this, i just found a rare topic that looks interesting to me. and i noticed the overuse of the word 'legally' by posters to defend what i see as purely blizzard's internal procedure. also, i honestly don't think all the steps blizzard takes (especially the id card copy) are necessary for such requests.
Customer Service
We do have a button...
This thread is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]